Review STAR COPS: A DOUBLE LIFE - Episode 07

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
feature-image-star-cops.jpg

double-1.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode.....

Mystery surrounds a world-famous pianist accused of kidnapping and ransoming embryos from Moonbase. Anna Shoun and Colin Devis investigate and ultimately confront what turns out to be the clone of the accused pianist.

On to the next episode.....

OTHER PEOPLE'S SECRETS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/other-peoples-secrets-episode-8.3534/

Back to the previous episode....

IN WARM BLOOD

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/this-case-to-be-opened-in-a-million-years-episode-5.3523/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This episode was okay, but not really special for me. If made today the clone revelation wouldn't be that much of a surprise, assuming a surprise back then. The best bits were the Devis/Shoun byplay.
Devis really is an unreconstructed chauvinist though by the end he showed a bit of tenderness.
Best line was when Anna told him she'd rather not use her gun as it conflicts with her Buddhist beliefs,
" Have you a religion Colin?"
" No Anna, I've never felt the need for one.......until now"
The Arabs weren't portrayed well here, Madam Asadi, too gung ho with the retribution and cutting off Krevenko when he was trying to tell her that Bannerman might not be the culprit was idiotic.
The final jokey scene on the shuttle was too silly for me and did spoil it somewhat, it was totally unnecessary as well.
The previous scene with Devis and Shoun returning with the embryo in the moonrover to Bannerman's piano accompaniment would have been a better ending, and usually when I watch this episode that's where I turn off.
A 7/10 episode, no more.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I agree. Okay, with some good scenes, but that last visual joke involving Nathan was really out of step with the whole show. The implications of a second Nathan were actually enormous and using the idea as a sight gag was, while a light way to end the episode, actually unworthy of a show that was trying so hard to be a realistic depiction of life in space at most other times.

Again, the person they are trying to help is not particularly likeable, so lots of the usual unpleasant disagreement and shouting.

The best aspect of the episode for me was Anna's dilemma with the gun at the end - and the fact that her tough decision actually helps her to bond to Devis, who had previously been giving her a hard time, which makes his character more likeable too as a result.

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Monday 8:00 PM Aug 17, 1987 on BBC Two

Mystery surrounds a world-famous pianist accused of kidnapping and ransoming embryos from Moonbase.

CAST

David Calder ... Nathan Spring / Box (voice)
Erick Ray Evans ... David Theroux
Linda Newton ... Pal Kenzy
Trevor Cooper ... Colin Devis
Jonathan Adams ... Alexander Krivenko
Sayo Inaba ... Anna Shoun
Brian Gwaspari ... James Bannerman / Albi Teil
Nitza Shaul ... Chamsya Assadi

WRITING CREDITS

Chris Boucher ... (series deviser)
John Collee ... (written by)

DIRECTED BY

Christopher Baker

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad-Pac

I imagine what it was like in 1987 to come up with scenarios for stories for this show. In some aspects the show is very grounded, but in others they are way off the mark, like in the field of AI, and now with cloning.

I guess the writers thought that human cloning would be as feasible as face recognition, for instance. But they failed to understand both the technical complications of cloning humans and the myriad of ethical issues that would simply paralyze any effective research in this area. Just imagine, for instance, the results of all the failed experiments with human cloning until they finally got a viable sample. What were they thinking? Oh, and let's not forget that a viable human clone, according to the show, would've been possible not in 2027, but, if the pianist was, say, 35 years old, in 1992. Well, Dolly came to this world in 1996, so it seems the writers thought from sheep to humans would be a short step. Now, in hindsight, we can see how weird that sounds.

That also hurt the story itself. For this they would need to have established how ordinary the idea of cloning a person would be in the show's reality. The way Nathan even starts considering the possibility of a human clone is completely out of the blue, which wouldn't be if the show had already mentioned there had been cases of cloning, maybe a notorious incident involving some millionaire and a rogue doctor, or a failed experiment made by the American government, or something. I kept imagining this dialogue:

"Box, how can a man be in two places at the same time?"
"That question is illogical, Nathan."
"OK... Say, in comic book reality."
"Oh, why didn't you say so earlier? It could be a teleporter, a time traveler, a robot, a shape-shifting alien, a clone..."
"A clone? Yes! It has to be it!"

Because, you know, in 1987 that could've sounded futuristic, but now it sounds just corny and an evil plan Lex Luthor would concoct to defeat Superman. It's amazing how this specific sci-fi trope has fallen from grace in 30 years.

There was also a nice subplot with Anna getting confidence to be a "Star Cop," something which begs the question, how can anyone be a Star Cop if they are not a cop to begin with? It looks like anybody can have this job.

Last week I suggested there could be some unresolved sexual tension between Devis and Kenzy. Now, being more serious, I describe Colin']s behavior as rather juvenile, and if he used to bicker with Pal, now he bickers with Anna. Giving a more serious thought to the whole situation, it turns out this is much more believable than we might have consider. Colin's behavior clearly seems to be a result of their confinement, and at some point little things the other people did could drive him crazy. That cold also explain the issues between Kenzy and Spring, even though the show wants to convey the idea that these are the natural relationship issues those people would have. In reality, though, whatever they went through, would be much worse in an environment like that of their moon headquarters.

Finally, the episode also approaches a controversial issue and I'm not sure what to think of it: abortion. The case was often described as one of "kidnapping," although one can only kidnap a person and embryos aren't people, at least legally. But the writer often tried to make it seem they were talking about real children, which in a way, they were... Or not? Again, as I said, that's controversial... And the part in which the criminal "executed" the "children" was so underwhelming and anticlimactic: all we saw was the bad guy dropping a little plastic container in acid. Perhaps our resident British expert in "Britishisms" could explain to us the country's predominant position in terms of abortion and what that situation was like in 1987.

Another thing is, as I spoke about comic book concepts, the villain's motivations, which were as deep as a page of a pulp magazine. He spoke as if Bannerman had neglected him and had deserted their father, but the pianist didn't even now Albi existed and when his mother took him he was a baby, so all the villain's ramblings didn't make a lick of sense. Unless cloning makes you cuckoo as well.

Finally, this episode demonstrated one of the show's biggest problems: it's too ambitious. The story takes place on the moon and in two continents on Earth. Yet, moving from one to the other is as simple as walking from one stage to another in the same building. Theroux is on the moon. Next, he is in Bannerman's apartment (probably in England). Next, Bannerman's kidnapped and taken to a country I believe to be in the Middle East. Our heroes cross the void of space and cover a good portion of our planet in their trips, but we still end with the same claustrophobic sense of confinement given to us by all indoor scenes. Yes, I could make a video with scenes in six different rooms and claim each room was in a different country, but how believable would that be? And while all of that happen, no other police officer, investigator or civil authority was involved, so the idea we ended with is that the world is incredibly small (including the moon) and thinly populated, as we keep meeting the same people over and over again.

Despite that, it was a good episode. Much more palatable than the boring ones we had earlier. "A Double Life" gets 8 clones, one for each of these names: Dolly, Rosie, Darcy, Bonnie, Cotton, Lucy, Sally and Debbie.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Some points raised by our resident Brazilian, answered by the " Britisher" which I guess is me.
Firstly extremely interesting point you raised about Devis maybe acting juvenile because of the environment, closed claustrophobic etc. People may go nuts confined to the Moon. Remember that when you review the next episode, which i admit is a bit dull, a sort of bottle episode about the effects of this lunar life on the characters.
Back to this one; I'm not sure talk of abortion is appropriate.
Were the embryos aborted or kept in storage for future use? The latter I think.
It is alluded that Madam Asadi couldn't conceive on Earth, but in one sixth gravity the chances improved, so the ova were removed from her, impregnated artificially from a donor and stored in a refrigerator. It wasn't stated but presumably she was on the Moon to have the embryos re-implanted. Anyway I found Asadi so unlikeable that I'm sorry all her embryos weren't destroyed. The destruction of them by Albi Teal was as climactic as it could have been frankly. As Colin said, they were just tadpoles, you dip them in acid ,job done. The casualness of it made Asadi realise that he was serious about destroying them without a seconds remorse.
Albi motive of course was revenge for Madam Asadi assassinating his father, Cyrus Teal, who tried to run off with her money she gave him for cell replication research.
Bannerman knew nothing of Albi, but the reverse certainty wasn't true, perhaps Cyrus Teal had poisoned Albi's mind when a youngster, about his deserting mother and brother.
Chris Boucher, the show's creator apparently disapproved of Anna Shoun being a regular character, but I thought she was a nice addition. June this year, 31 years after the series, a second series , on audio, produced by Big Finish productions, who've done about 200, yes 200!!, Dr Who audio dramas, will be released. Nathan, Kenzy and Devis all return played by the original actors, sadly Erik Ray Evans died, so no Theroux, and no Anna Shoun either, Boucher is sticking to his guns about the character.
I'll give this one, 8/10

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Some points raised by our resident Brazilian, answered by the " Britisher" which I guess is me.
No, I suggested you were an expert in "Britishisms."

the next episode, which i admit is a bit dull, a sort of bottle episode
You don't say... I think earlier in the show I made an acid joke (if I didn't make it, I thought about making it) about what a low-budget show like this would feel as a bottle episode and thought the absurdity laughable. I guess we're going to find that out.

Back to this one; I'm not sure talk of abortion is appropriate.
Were the embryos aborted or kept in storage for future use? The latter I think.
LOL. For a moment I thought you considered the subject too controversial and upsetting so it wouldn't be "appropriate" to discuss it. Just another of our language misunderstandings. "#Shame."

The reason I brought that up is because abortion, freezing and discarding, dissolving a little plastic box in acid and calling embryos tadpoles all depersonalize the (potential) individual there. Some couples freeze their embryos, end using one or two and discard the rest, for instance, so the end result is the same. I think the way the show approached this was clever but weird.
Albi Teal was as climactic as it could have been frankly. As Colin said, they were just tadpoles, you dip them in acid ,job done. The casualness of it made Asadi realise that he was serious about destroying them without a seconds remorse.
Even for me, who comes from a generation and culture in which abortion is a big no-no, the whole thing looked a "tad" ridiculous.

Albi motive of course was revenge for Madam Asadi assassinating his father, Cyrus Teal, who tried to run off with her money she gave him for cell replication research.
Bannerman knew nothing of Albi, but the reverse certainty wasn't true, perhaps Cyrus Teal had poisoned Albi's mind when a youngster, about his deserting mother and brother.
Albi's motives against Asadi were solid and were well established. His justification to punish Bannerman, on the other hand, made Albi sound delusional, even crazy. And if you need to pull the crazy card to justify a character's actions, then that's weak writing, since, well, he's crazy, so his actions can be illogical and inconsistent. What you did was to imagine an explanation that is not in the story, so I'll still go with "crazy". But this could've been fixed easily. Facing the possibility that his "brother" would've been crippled, he might have given a big smile and said, "Yeah, I know he has nothing to do with this, but, you know, I simply don't care. I've always hated the guy, can't help it. He's always been a shadow in my life, so I couldn't care less what happens to him. It's a collateral damage, a price I'm willing to pay." That would've made him sound callous, not crazy, and callous is much better than crazy.

I agree with you about Asadi. What seemed clunky is that no authorities were ever involved, and the only person fighting for Bannerman was a middle-aged cop way, way, way out of his jurisdiction.
Chris Boucher, the show's creator apparently disapproved of Anna Shoun being a regular character, but I thought she was a nice addition.
And... Boucher probably thought she was too pretty, because he only likes ugly people because they are more "realistic". (LOL.) Seriously she's great, but I hae to agree with Devis: she's no cop, so she shouldn't be there. You don't just pick some random expert in another area and magically wish them into becoming "coppers," which, franskly, is a very demanding and specialized position, just as much as you don't pick a random cop and appoint him now as the resident medical doctor.
June this year, 31 years after the series, a second series , on audio (...) will be released.
I see new faces in the poster. I can't believe we're going to have yet another cast change. Haven't we got enough of those?

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Another outstanding episode with all the elements I’m growing to love:

Futuristic plot – Theft and ransom of baby embryos. It actually is possible in current times; may have even been a plotline in some show. (I think there was such a theft in a police drama a few years ago.) Small critique: embryos can currently be kept viable for years, but it must be in sub-freezing temperatures. It was a little too simple to smuggle them out without some specialized way to store them – even with the extra 10 years in technology over ours that’s not very likely to change. Still I can forgive that point for dramatic effect. I appreciate that they refer to the embryos as “her children”, acknowledging a future where all life is valued, even that of the unborn. I hope that’s what our country is working toward eventually.

Predictions of the future – “chromosomal fingerprint” was the term they used, but it was predicting DNA analysis rather than fingerprints. At one point, Theroux used the phrase “Deena marker.” He clearing was using DNA as if it had evolved into a word rather than remaining an acronym. Had they gone with the acronym, he would have said, “DNA marker” and sounded exactly like any one of dozens of forensic-based TV shows on the air since 1999. Wow.

And the clone plot was plausible. He had been cloned soon after birth and thus was the same age and looks. Many clone plots involve artificially aging someone to match the person begin cloned, which is still quite implausible if not impossible. This show got it right.

Team camaraderie – Some tension this week between Colin Devin and the new recruit Anna Shoun. There was also a slight bit of cultural warfare as Anna’s Eastern ways were a little different. I’m surprised we haven’t seen a little more examples of country vs. country challenges on the show – conflicts have been more based on personalities so far. And some of Colin vs. Anna was still that – he thought of her as being a woman and too soft or fragile for the job. Fortunately, she demonstrates some diplomatic skills early on. She also reveals that since she is a Buddhist, she values life and hesitates to use a gun. Unfortunately, she had to kill someone at the end of the show. I was hoping she could shoot him someplace painful but not fatal using her medical knowledge, but the situation was too quick and deadly to allow that. We’ll see if that affects her in future shows, as past events have sometimes returned to haunt people so far.

Lines – Some great dialogue in this one. I’ll paraphrase a couple to the best of my memory:

Colin: Why did she want to store her embryos on the moon in the first place?
Pal: Doing the procedure on the moon increases her chances, due to the low gravity.
Colin: I’m surprised you’d know something like that.
Pal: Considering your one-track mind, I’m surprised you didn’t!

Colin: Why did he take Pal with him?
Anna: I guess he felt the situation needs a woman’s touch.
Colin: Theroux’s coming back to you with an injured hand. I guess he needs a woman’s touch too.
Anna: No, he needs the services of a doctor.
Colin: If you understood my sense of humor, you’d know that was a joke.
Anna: If I had your level of sophistication, I might have found it funny.

Good casting – Nitka Shaul does an excellent job as Chamsya, the strong dominating Arab leader. I liked how she wouldn’t respond to Nathan’s diplomacy, but did go for Pal’s tough straight talk. I think she saw enough of a kindred spirit in Kenzy; Spring was smart to bring her along. Brian Gwaspari does a solid job as James the angry, confused concert pianist and Albi, his confident, cold-hearted clone. How cruel that he almost faces the ultimate thief’s punishment of having his hands cut off – a horrible fate for anyone, even more so for a concert pianist.

An all around great episode. I give it 9 barcode style markers on the futuristic Moonbase security system.

Brimfin

Mad-Pac said:
Oh, and let's not forget that a viable human clone, according to the show, would've been possible not in 2027, but, if the pianist was, say, 35 years old, in 1992. Well, Dolly came to this world in 1996, so it seems the writers thought from sheep to humans would be a short step. Now, in hindsight, we can see how weird that sounds.
I hadn't thought about that angle on it. Perhaps I should have said, "They got it righter than most."

Mad-Pac said:
The reason I brought that up is because abortion, freezing and discarding, dissolving a little plastic box in acid and calling embryos tadpoles all depersonalize the (potential) individual there. Some couples freeze their embryos, end using one or two and discard the rest, for instance, so the end result is the same. I think the way the show approached this was clever but weird.
Reminds me of an irony about that police drama I mentioned. The police team worked so hard to find the embryos, as they were the last ones produced by a couple whose husband had since died. When they found the freezing device, it was too late - the embryos had thawed out and died. They treated it like a death. Yet the same police team think nothing about someone having an abortion, and earlier this season approved of killing a ten-month old sickly baby because he had no "quality of life." (We've since stopped watching the show.)

Cloister56

This time we start out with a nice little piano concert.
Then the Star Cops are investigating what appears to be a robbery but interestingly it is embryo's that have been stolen.
I did find it odd that Nathan springs into action not when he hears what has been stolen but who they belong to. He makes it clear that Assadi is very powerful but a crime should be a crime, he should take the same steps regardless of who the crime is directed against.

Assadi and the way the crime is dealt with create a very dark image of the future, where the rich and powerful can seize people from another country and intact their laws against them without any seeming political fallout. It is difficult to root for Assadi.

Finally, the episode also approaches a controversial issue and I'm not sure what to think of it: abortion. The case was often described as one of "kidnapping," although one can only kidnap a person and embryos aren't people, at least legally. But the writer often tried to make it seem they were talking about real children, which in a way, they were... Or not? Again, as I said, that's controversial...
It does raise some interesting moral questions. Generally in this country (UK) we consider the mother first. This is primarily due to the fact that embryos are developing inside the mother. So her views override the concerns for the embryo, this allows for things like abortion and clarifies medical decisions where saving the mother takes precedent. The laws on embryos currently are murky with those used for experiments not being allowed beyond 2 weeks as before this they are considered just a collection of cells and beyond this something more. I don't know where this would put the idea of it being kidnapping or theft and as murder or destruction of property.
Regardless the way the embryos are casual destroyed by Teil is very chilling even if it is just how much they mean to Assadi.

The search device Shoun uses makes an interesting noise. It reminds me of something from another tv show which I can't place. Its that sound but pulsing off and on, I think should images of an alien or enemy attack ending in a "dun dun der" at the end. Please help.
In a nice bit of continuity there is the name "Chandri" on the door lock from the episode "Intelligent Listening from Beginnners" hope it was scrubbed for his program.

The photofit also looks very familiar but this time I remember where from:
Go to 4:32

The cloning plot initially does create some intrigue but I didn't find this episode very engaging for some reason.

6 Nathans on a flight out of 10.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I have to say, I think this is my favourite episode yet. Great interaction from the main cast. An interesting (if stretching the realistic plausibility of the show) crime. And the plot moved relatively quickly. I wasn't too keen on the addition of Anna Shoun to the team in the last episode, but she got some great one liners in this episode, revealing a great comedic sense.
Devis: I make the jokes around here Shoun: do you also make the coffee? Milk and no sugar.
She definitely got the better of him in their interaction. All of the main cast were integral in solving this case.

This episode definitely got my attention back after a couple of episodes where I struggled to keep my interest.

9 out of 10 for this one.