Review STAR COPS: THIS CASE TO BE OPENED IN A MILLION YEARS - Episode 05

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I lost a bit of respect for the Theroux character here. Okay, his daddy died in a nuclear accident, but he here abrogated his duty, and could have been catastrophic for many innocents.
The Catacombs scenes were good,and Nathan in his hotel room with only Box for company, raining outside and him stoned out of his head were very enjoyable.
The Marla Condarini and Kenzy scenes were interesting, did I detect a bit of lesbian undercurrent between them , Kenzy was very touchy feely with her at the scene where Colin rescued her from Marla.
This episode, the one before this, and the next two , will have some general stereotypical non Brits, but I don't care,
Anna Shoun enters next , and I have to disagree with Boucher here, I thought she brought something to the show, but more of her next time.
Bad episode for Theroux but good for everyone else.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Very well directed by Graeme Harper and I agree with you about the catacomb scenes and Nathan finding himself in dire trouble with the people trying to frame him. Marla Condarini is genuinely menacing in the scene with the blowtorch. Yes, there was a definite lesbian subtext going on there.

The melancholy scene in the hotel with the rain pouring down outside is, as you say, a nice one.

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Monday 8:00 PM Aug 03, 1987 on BBC Two

While Theroux is left to investigate the crash of a rocket carrying nuclear waste, Spring enjoys his much deserved vacation in Rome, sweet Rome.

CAST

David Calder ... Nathan Spring
Erick Ray Evans ... David Theroux
Linda Newton ... Pal Kenzy
Trevor Cooper ... Colin Devis
Jonathan Adams ... Alexander Krivenko
Michael Chesden ... Carlo Santanini
Susan Curnow ... Marla Conderini
Stewart Guidotti .. Inspector Canova
Vikki Chambers ... Lina Margello
Flip Webster ... Personnel Officer
Andre Winterton ... Angelo Pordenne
Carl Forgione ... Tour Guide

WRITING CREDITS

Chris Boucher
Philip Martin

DIRECTED BY

Graeme Harper

Last edited by a moderator:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
When you’ve watched as much TV as I have (probably way too much) every once in a while you come across an amazing coincidence. Like one time, my wife and I were watching VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA once a week on Sundays in order. One Sunday fell on March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day, and the episode began with Chief Sharkey telling the XO “Don’t you know what today is? It’s March 17th, Saint Patrick’s Day.” That blew us both away.

Now, this week we were catching up on our shows and saw a MACGYVER episode where he pursues a criminal into Chernobyl, only to find men in hazmat suits loading barrels in the abandoned nuclear plant. Turned out they were trying to steal radioactive waste from the facility where no one would even know it was missing to sell on the black market as dirty bomb material. The next morning I got up and watched this episode of STAR COPS. Once again, someone was trying to sell radioactive waste from someplace where no one would even know it was missing in order to sell it on the black market. Two similar plots spaced almost 31 years apart seen within a matter of hours of each other – you just can’t make this stuff up.

So that gave a nice boost to this week’s proceedings, which involved smuggling uranium waste, an attempt to frame and kill Nathan, undercover work from Pal, and strange behavior from Theroux – thankfully explained. I’m still getting used to my Smartcast. I have the ability to rewind clumsily now by sweeping the little red dot on my phone backward, but usually that knocks it back about 2 minutes which I then have to watch repeat in full – so I’m doing it sparingly. Sometimes the show is loud, like when the alarms went off early on and everyone was yelling over them. Other times, the participants talk in such quiet tones, I can barely hear them – and in those scenes they usually talk quickly as well. But I think I’m getting most of it. I try not to hold these things against the show; it’s not their fault I can’t watch it with closed captioning turned on. Though the picture quality is excellent, it was still over 30 years ago.

Rather than rehash the story, I’ll just go with strengths and weakness. Strengths: Pal Kenzy. I just like her a lot – she lively and tough. This week she got to go undercover, with her shady past working as an asset to her. Fortunately, she left a recorded message of what she was doing so that Colin could come to her rescue in the nick of time. I liked how Marla was calling her a bitch once she was caught. Then, when Pal slammed her against the wall and led her off in cuffs, a smiling Colin agreed with her.

Nathan’s story was also interesting. He’s forced to take a 7 day leave since he’s spent too much time in one-sixth gravity. Wasn’t that long ago that he went to Earth after Lee died, but who knows how long a space there is between episodes? While still mourning Lee, he meets a pretty Italian woman who insists he must see Italy and meet her on a tour of the catacombs. She made Italy sound so great, I wanted to go see it as well. He gets to Italy only to have it rain incessantly. He tries to call off the date only to find that Lina didn’t work at the Moonbase as she claimed. He tries to meet her at the Catacombs anyway but is the victim of an assassination attempt instead. He is able to stab the attacker with his own lethal dose, but is then a murder suspect himself. Worse, someone plants money in his account and drugs in his hotel room. He tries to test the drugs to see what they are by rubbing his tongue against it – only to be knocked for a loop by the effect and left in a drugged stupor for hours. That last bit was actually refreshing. How many times on detective shows does a person take a taste of a drug to test it without ever any kind of ill effect? Even Nathan later admits how foolhardy doing that was.

And I kept wondering what was up with Theroux. He seemed happy to just let the case on the moon go as a simple accident even though all the evidence he had came from the company doing the launch. We finally learn late in the program that his father died of radiation poisoning and he had to watch him slowly die from it, so he was hesitant to go near the area. Fortunately, he musters up the strength to go into what he believes to be an exposed area in time to rescue Nathan.

And I loved the title: “This Case to be Opened in a Million Years.” Clever

Weaknesses: The attempted assassination was a bit of a stretch. Did they find some way to nudge the personnel lady into insisting that he take a vacation? Or did they just find out he was going and then send Lina on his shuttle flight to tempt him to going to both Italy and the catacomb tour? Seems like they were going to a lot of trouble on the vain whim that he would actually go to Italy and on the catacomb tour. They really should have sent the man they used to plan the drugs to kill Nathan instead. First, he knocks Nathan out with a good karate chop. He could have easily stabbed him with a fatal drug dose after that. And later, when Nathan tests the drugs he is in a stupor for hours and could easily have been killed. But by then, their actual would-be assassin was already dead.

A bit of stereotyping too. The Italians are members of the Mafia, and that police inspector seemed to be either incompetent or on the take. Still, not quite as thickly laid on as last week’s character.

Strengths far outweigh the weaknesses this week. I’ll give this one 8 mini-torches used in lieu of a gun.

Mad-Pac

So... When I read the synopsis saying Nathan would go to Italy on a forced vacation and would be framed for murder, all sorts of things started to run through my head, and I mean exciting things. But first let me say that I'm getting a little tired of this trope: the hero needs to see the doctor and treat his injury/seek psychological counselling/go on a mandatory vacation... And he never cooperates. Just to make things difficult for everybody, creating conflict where they don't need it. Of course, in real life officers who need these measures do what they have to do, and do it as soon as possible so they can be ready to work again soon enough. And another tired trope is that of the policeman who is "married to his work" so he doesn't have any resemblance of a persona life and that simplifies writing a great deal. In real life that would mean you're in serious need of change and you're conducting your personal life wrong, but in fiction that means you're a tough action hero who doesn't need a personal life because you have the adventures your job provides.

Anyway, as I was saying I imagined exciting things happening to Nathan. Perhaps the trip would give Nathan some insight on his personal life and would build something in terms of a relationship. Or he would be framed for a crime and get in serious trouble with the police, lawyers, judges, etc. But no. OK, we had this assassination attempt, but they didn't need all the Italian subplot just for that scene. The trip itself was a waste of time, nothing really happened apart from the assassination attempt, and then all of a sudden he was back. Also, a charming woman was used to lure him to go to Italy and you'd expect a Chekhov's gun case in which he would eventually front her and find out how she got involved in this plot, but, unless I fell asleep and missed whatever became of her (which is quite likely), she was never heard from again. Pointless.

A show with modern pacing would have Nathan framed within the first ten minutes of plot, but I observed that it was on the 32 minute mark that Nathan was informed that the Italian police were "preparing charges accusing him of murder." Thirty-two minutes for merely "preparing charges accusing" him? Did the writers think on purpose which the least impactful way to develop this framing plot would be?

Because of things like this I normally miss details from the plot resolution and minor characters. If I were writing a professional review, I would have to force myself to pay attention and watch the episode at least twice, but I treat this show as I would as a regular viewer, so that means several things feel incomplete to me. Anyway, I'm thankful for the reviews written by more observant Sages of the SS which provide me with the details I missed.

A bit of stereotyping too. The Italians are members of the Mafia, and that police inspector seemed to be either incompetent or on the take. Still, not quite as thickly laid on as last week’s character.
LOL! Indeed, right to the point. Stereotyping is a funny thing to happen. When they stereotyped the Americans, I even thought it was a bit clever and funny, but now they stereotyped the Italians and naturally I didn't like it very much... I wonder why (lol). Then I came to a funny conclusion: this is the episode in which an English speaker goes "south of the border" (where everybody also speaks English even where and when they shouldn't normally do so) and gets involved in a plot of corruption, murder and drugs, I think. In other words, ITALY IS EUROPE'S MEXICO! (And, Ravenna is the new Tijuana?) That gave me a good laugh.

OK, I'm hungry. This episode gets 5 taco pizzas, now new at Taco Bell.

Mad-Pac

A review Mad Pac that didn't really deal with the main thrust of the story. Understandable if you're pushed for time, but Nathan on forced leave played a minor part in the proceedings.
What does time have to do with anything? I was commenting on the situation established in the beginning, which goes nowhere and could've been dropped entirely, giving room to a more engaging story.
The Italian connection came about due Santoni Italia's dumper craft crashing onto The Moon, and Angelo Pordenone's drug bust. Marla Conderini's Sunzek Company helped to put Star cops off course by providing explosive material wrapping to Santanini to make it look like Pordenone was taking revenge on Santoni Italia for his dismissal.
I understood that part quite well. But understanding doesn't mean being engaged. This show at least is consistent; usually the mystery has a sort of convoluted explanation told in a slow pace in a rather boring form.
Nathan being charged by Italian police was a result of him being involved in Pordenone's death, ( yes the same guy the Star Cops had busted, another link making the Italian connection vital, not pointless),
What was pointless was this whole "sort of" low-key framing of Nathan, with a dead body and planted evidence. All in all, it doesn't seem Nathan had to lose much sleep because of something that potentially could turn a person's life upside down. But in this episode that was dealt with rather bureaucratically.
A very good story, all neatly interlocking and plausible, though you do have to pay proper attention to get it all.
Oh... That's the thing. I love the "it's a great show/book if only you pay attention (and stop dozing off)" argument. Indeed, if it's something you have to pay attention to, that means it lacks the appeal to make people actually having to fight to stop watching it. After all, you don't talk about paying attention when you're dealing with a page turner. I would agree with you if we were talking about a boring, but necessary, class. We just have to suck it up, pay attention and study because it's important. Yeah, I'm sure somewhere in all that exposition you'll find all of the answers, but this is supposed to be entertaining, not teaching, and it's not entertaining me. As a rule, I usually start the episode with enough enthusiasm, but my attention tends to drift off as time progresses. But this is why my comments focused on the first half of the show, and I don't think anything I said was incorrect.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Another enjoyable episode of STAR COPS.

The highlight for me was when Nathan Spring tried to taste-test the drugs and got knocked for six. Bloody idiot.

4/5.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Well that was an interesting episode. I'm not really sure what to say about it. On the positive side the mystery was intriguing. On the negative side, none of the team really covered themselves in glory, and the episode was extremely slow. I don't mind a slow build in a story but this was ridiculous. You could easily have cut 15 minutes out of this episode and not missed anything. Nathan was a bit of an idiot in his time in Italy - especially tasting the drugs. Theroux turned out to be a terrible boss, ignoring evidence to take the easy solution and not listening to his team. And Devis didn't help matters by shouting and arguing rather than trying to present a reasoned argument. The whole thing just took too long to come together and while the conclusion was actually pretty good, I'd lost interest by that point.

I'm gonna give this one 4 out of 10

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
So the episode starts with Devis summarising a case they had closed of an Italian drug smuggling. It did get me wondering about how much crime goes on "out there". I still don't feel like I've got a full impression of the scale of development onto the moon and the surrounding area so I don't know what population they are policing. Part of me still thinks of it as a few people dotted around on stations and bases but I guess it could be getting up to a few thousand people involved.

Anyway this Italian later returns to ruin Nathan's trip to the catacombs of Rome attempting what seemed to be a clumsy murder attempt. The catacombs looked really familiar and I was trying to tell if they were filmed in a cave system I've visited, I suspect it was probably close to the UK than Italy. But I appreciate that the show continues to push an international feel.

The Nathan set up subplot was interesting.

They really should have sent the man they used to plan the drugs to kill Nathan instead. First, he knocks Nathan out with a good karate chop. He could have easily stabbed him with a fatal drug dose after that. And later, when Nathan tests the drugs he is in a stupor for hours and could easily have been killed.
I think they wanted the guy the Star Cops had busted to do the murder. That way after then pushed the money into Nathan's account it would look like they were involved together in the smuggling. I think once Nathan killed him they decided they couldn't attempt another killing so instead doubled down on the incrimination with the help of their corrupt cop.

He tries to test the drugs to see what they are by rubbing his tongue against it – only to be knocked for a loop by the effect and left in a drugged stupor for hours. That last bit was actually refreshing. How many times on detective shows does a person take a taste of a drug to test it without ever any kind of ill effect? Even Nathan later admits how foolhardy doing that was.
Yeah I've always found that to be a stupid action to take. I understand that for dramatic purposes it works "Yes this is definitely drugs, book 'em Danno" as opposed to "Take this back to the lab and have them test it, yes I will sign the chain of custody card". I did think better of Nathan but I agree that points are earned for both showing how stupid this action is and the character later acknowledging it.

Back on Moonbase we have the investigation into the waste ship launch.

Theroux turned out to be a terrible boss, ignoring evidence to take the easy solution and not listening to his team. And Devis didn't help matters by shouting and arguing rather than trying to present a reasoned argument.
Yeah I think this wasn't a great episode for Theroux. I know he gave a reason why he was acting strangely but still he isn't really convincing as a reliable second in command. I do wonder if this is intentional as another long term plot strand, the person who seems to be better suited appears to be Kenzy. She comes across again very strong taking the initiative and showing good intuition in her part of the investigation.

A bit of stereotyping too. The Italians are members of the Mafia, and that police inspector seemed to be either incompetent or on the take.
Yes and also the Mafia were once again getting involved in waste disposal.

At the end of the episode when they told Nathan he had a call, I thought at first it would be the woman from the flight apologising for not meeting up, revealing she had nothing to do with the assassination.It being HR insisting on his full leave requirement was far funnier and more realistic.

A solid episode this week. Some parts felt very familiar, a disaster, a corrupt boss of a company who later threatens our star cop, a last minute save (actually 2) by another star cop we didn't know would be there. Maybe that's why I can't rate this quite as highly but still enjoyable.

7 caverne con scheletri di plastica sparsi in giro, su 10
(7 caves with plastic skeletons scattered around, out of 10)