chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think I had the first year or two's worth of issues of this magazine. Yes, I was that kid that had it in my backpack to read at school. Along with the latest issues of Starlog.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I guess I can see both sides here. Yes, CBS is being asshole-ish about this whole thing. But at the same time, it is their property, and if they don't want fan made projects out there, it is their prerogative. And I know this is just a simulation, and a non-profit one at that, so they are really being dicks about their stance, but again, they own it, so they do get final say. We don't have to like it.

I've sort of been at odds with everything in the "fan fiction" realm for a while now. About a year or so back, I saw a video from a YouTuber who writes fan fic and does videos for others in the community, and she went on a long rant about how she would never read a book by Anne Rice because of Anne's stance on fan fic, and this particular young lady was afraid that she might enjoy the books and be tempted to write fan fic, which Anne hates. Um, to me that's a pretty stupid reason to not read a book or series of books. There are lots of books I love, and have never sat and thought "I should avoid this, lest I be tempted to write a fan fiction based upon it". I get the idea behind doing it, and have seen some fan made movies based on popular films that were, at times, better than what was being put out by the studios. I dunno, maybe I'm just out of touch.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
It's funny how we're okay to watch and (not) enjoy CBSs latest Trek series but if someone makes one based on the show when it was good or at least palatable it's smashed down fast?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think CBS are being a little short sighted. With the advent of a Picard series, the chances are that they may want to do a flashback to TNG days scene - here or there a la RELICS, and here would be a ready-made bridge for them to utilise and save money on the budget.

Doctor Omega

The wig they gave up on at the audition stage.......

Gene was not happy with the idea of another bald Captain, but eventually had to concede that a toupee looked dumb.

star-trek-photo-of-patrick-stewart-as-captain-picard-with-hair-goes.jpeg

Last edited:

johnnybear

I don't think the wig looked that bad to be honest but we're used to Patrick Stewart being bald now so it doesn't really matter and was Shatner as bald as Stewart? I don't think so although...
JB

johnnybear

HaHaHa I know he was wearing a rug in the movies and he looked ridiculous to be honest where as his series wig was well fitted! But was he really bald at the front or just had a balding pate? No one really knows it seems unless you catch the odd picture here and there...
JB

Doctor Omega

The extent of his baldness in the series indeed continues to be a mystery.

It was a shock to see Walter K. throw away his rug overnight in recent years, but I have got used to it now. In fact I had no idea he wore one from TMP onward, until he mentioned it in his book.

It perhaps explain why the supporting cast never (to my knowledge) made fun of Bill's baldness*, which I am sure they would have if it were not for Walter's predicament alongside them.

* Jimmy Doohan surely would have as he threw everything else at Bill.... And Takei was always making fun of Bill's weight.

DOOHAN: "He can't even act. He doesn't act. He wrinkles his nose like a rabbit and that is supposed to mean "Oh look at me, I'm about to cry!""

DOOHAN: "Scotty would give his life to save Captain Kirk, but Jimmy Doohan wouldn't even cross the street to help Bill Shatner!"

Last edited: