johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Weird to think that years back we would buy anything and everything connected to our favourites but now we're getting wise and learning that enough is enough and toilet paper TV is not for us!
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Weird to think that years back we would buy anything and everything connected to our favourites but now we're getting wise and learning that enough is enough and toilet paper TV is not for us!
JB
I can't believe some of the stuff I bought as a youth back in the 1980s...

Badges, calendars, denim carry bags, jigsaws, postcards...

The list just goes on and on...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I recently finished a marathon of VOYAGER and really enjoyed it. Always sighed a bit when things were fixed with a bit of time travel - and my heart sank whenever the Borg turned up again, diminishing their impact and power, but over all I really liked the crew and the episodes. And I loved any episodes set on the holodeck too, truth be told.

Have just completed Season one of ENTERPRISE and - having suffered through STD (which sounds a bit medically dodgy) I can appreciate Rick Berman and his commitment to the core of STAR TREK, even though at the time I felt it was churned out too soon after VOYAGER. Now I can enjoy it as a true TREK series, where people are getting on with each other and the characters are once again a likeable bunch. The other benefit is not having to witness Michael Burnham beating everyone and everything up coz she's awesome, while huge explosions are going on around her and the Klingons look like turds.

And I also found out from the special features that T'Pol was supposed to have been none other than T'Pau originally, but they just couldn't afford the rights to the character, which were "prohibitively expensive".

443631_1279135014864_500_313.jpg

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
and they also said that the temp track over the credits was BEAUTIFUL DAY by U2 and they wished they could have had that instead now, but Bono wasn't keen on their music being used on a tv show.

Here's the credits with that track.....

.Before the intro got the song "Faith of the heart" it had a temporary score: U2's Beautiful Day. The producers liked it but it was too expensive if U2 would have agreed at all.

ant-mac

I recently finished a marathon of VOYAGER and really enjoyed it. Always sighed a bit when things were fixed with a bit of time travel - and my heart sank whenever the Borg turned up again, diminishing their impact and power, but over all I really liked the crew and the episodes. And I loved any episodes set on the holodeck too, truth be told.

Have just completed Season one of ENTERPRISE and - having suffered through STD (which sounds a bit medically dodgy) I can appreciate Rick Berman and his commitment to the core of STAR TREK, even though at the time I felt it was churned out too soon after VOYAGER. Now I can enjoy it as a true TREK series, where people are getting on with each other and the characters are once again a likeable bunch. The other benefit is not having to witness Michael Burnham beating everyone and everything up coz she's awesome, while huge explosions are going on around her and the Klingons look like turds.

And I also found out from the special features that T'Pol was supposed to have been none other than T'Pau originally, but they just couldn't afford the rights to the character, which were "prohibitively expensive".

View attachment 16904
I believe T'Pau still made an appearance during a story arc set on Vulcan.

ant-mac

and they also said that the temp track over the credits was BEAUTIFUL DAY by U2 and they wished they could have had that instead now, but Bono wasn't keen on their music being used on a tv show.

Here's the credits with that track.....

To begin with, I'd rather they had created another instrumental piece, possibly something that alluded back to the original series theme.

However, if that wasn't possible, then I'm glad they went with the song they did.

I think it suits better than this temp demo.

johnnybear

I never accept ENT because it sort of disputes TOS and nothing can do that in my book! Plus Bakula or Winkler or whatever you want to call him was in everything back then and isn't Captain material for me!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I believe T'Pau still made an appearance during a story arc set on Vulcan.
Season 4, there's a great three part episode dealing with T'Pau and a group of Vulcans who are searching for Surak's katra. It helped make a shift from the asshole Vulcans of the previous 3 seasons, to the less assholish ones we know from other iterations of Star Trek. There is also some great commentary on organized religion, which harks back to the lessons taught in Life of Brian.
I never accept ENT because it sort of disputes TOS and nothing can do that in my book! Plus Bakula or Winkler or whatever you want to call him was in everything back then and isn't Captain material for me!
JB
As far as it disputing anything in TOS, they pretty much explain that any changes are due to the influence of the TNG crew and the Borg going back in time. Also, let's face it, you couldn't do a series and have the tech look more dated than the TOS tech, knowing that it would not be believable.

And I like Bakula. I wish he had had a more stunning career. He's a hell of an actor, and should have gotten better roles.

johnnybear

Well some of the TOS tech could look goofy but I tend to ignore that and enjoy the show instead! The stories were so much more exciting and interesting than anything produced Trek wise since!
JB

johnnybear

I loved TOS, Spock's Brain and other weird entries were acceptable for years and only Plato's Stepchildren is totally irredeemable!
JB