Review Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I know Shat has gone on at length about how the studio heads ruined this film with budget cuts and interference, but honestly, I don't think that mattered. I think this would have been a terrible movie even if Bill had been given everything he had wanted.

Doctor Omega

I totally agree. I think that it was Bill's ego, wanting to be a director because Leonard had directed one. He had the studio over a barrel contractually, so they had no choice but to let him. The studio didn't want him to direct.

The story came from him of course, and I think he simply filched Gene Rodenberry's proposed idea that the studio had previously rejected, called "The God Thing".

If he had gone on to direct Star Trek VI, he would most likely have made his back up story for this one, a "Fountain of Youth" story, that ended up novelised and in a graphic novel as "The Ashes of Eden".

10663_905764.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashes-Eden...7045406&sr=8-2&keywords=shatner+ashes+of+eden

If it had ended up anything like this one though, I am glad the studio stood firm, contractually or not! :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I know Shat has gone on at length about how the studio heads ruined this film with budget cuts and interference, but honestly, I don't think that mattered. I think this would have been a terrible movie even if Bill had been given everything he had wanted.
It is certainly not one of the best STAR TREK films available, but to be honest, I think it would take surprisingly little work to improve this to the stage were many might reconsider their opinion of it. If they had just made the effort to make the film in general fit in better with known STAR TREK lore, it would have been so much better.

Lengthen the scenes of action and of travelling through space. Add in a sub-plot where they make technical improvements to the Enterprise's warp drive - thanks to Sybok's visions. This would explain how the Enterprise could travel to the centre of the galaxy - and back - in a single film, while it took Voyager seven years to travel back from the Delta Quadrant. Remove that idiotic lift shaft scene, or at the very least alter it so it fits in with known continuity. It also would not have hurt to spend a bit more money on those Starfleet tactical costumes. Just pick one shade of black!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Star Trek V: revisiting The Final Frontier

8eba6f705d86ebfaffbfb6be5c1b5a01.jpg

Am not sure about this take on the film....... :emoji_confused:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-trek-v-the-final-frontier/39385/examining-the-brilliant-political-allegory-of-star-trek-v

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is a scathing commentary on radicalisation, and the rise of Islamic terrorism. It is right wing. Dark. Subversive. Brilliant. When watched in the light that it was intended, it ceases to be a muddling and bizarre action adventure film and instead transcends those boundaries. If you like your sci-fi to shine a light on the real world, to engage your brain and challenge your preconceptions, there is the argument to be made that Star Trek V is not only a worthy film, it is one of the most interesting science fiction films ever made.

ant-mac

The one positive thing that can be said about STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER is that at least it isn't STAR TREK: DISCOVERY.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Well, I think they explained the problem right there. It was right wing. That's not what Star Trek was supposed to be. It was about progressing humankind further, not placing us back centuries.

ant-mac

Well, I think they explained the problem right there. It was right wing. That's not what Star Trek was supposed to be. It was about progressing humankind further, not placing us back centuries.
In which case, it's time for another STAR TREK film where they undertake a temporal mission to save Earth from the menace of a certain talentless, tangerine, tantrum-tossing twat who shall remain nameless...

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
OK it's drawing a pretty long bow but there are some interesting ideas in here. I always thought that ST5 had a lot of story potential but it's clear that the script, as filmed, wasn't anywhere near ready. Between that and the (apparent) studio insistence on the added humour and the special effects failures, it made what could have been an interesting movie into a disaster. Take out the silliness and explore the deeper religious issues presented in the concept and it could have been a great story - although potentially too intellectual for a wider audience.

Doctor Omega

A Peek at Star Trek 5 - Entertainment Tonight - 1989

In early 1989 "Entertainment Tonight' aired this little peek at the anticipated release of "Star Trek - The Final Frontier".

Last edited: