Review Star Wars in Print

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
51qNeiSKYnL.jpg

Even the fastest ship in the galaxy can’t outrun the past. . . .

THEN:

It’s one of the galaxy’s most dangerous secrets: a mysterious transmitter with unknown power and a reward for its discovery that most could only dream of claiming. But those who fly the Millennium Falconthroughout its infamous history aren’t your average scoundrels. Not once, but twice, the crew of the Falcon tries to claim the elusive prize—first, Lando Calrissian and the droid L3-37 at the dawn of an ambitious career, and later, a young and hungry Han Solo with the help of his copilot, Chewbacca. But the device’s creator, the volatile criminal Fyzen Gor, isn’t interested in sharing. And Gor knows how to hold a grudge. . . .

NOW:

It’s been ten years since the rebel hero Han Solo last encountered Fyzen Gor. After mounting a successful rebellion against the Empire and starting a family with an Alderaanian princess, Han hasn’t given much thought to the mad inventor. But when Lando turns up at Han’s doorstep in the middle of the night, it’s Fyzen’s assassins that he’s running from. And without Han’s help, Lando—and all life on Cloud City—will be annihilated.

With the assistance of a young hotshot pilot, an Ewok slicer prodigy, the woman who might be the love of Lando’s life, and Han’s best and furriest friend, the two most notorious scoundrels in the New Republic are working together once more. They’ll have to journey across the stars—and into the past—before Gor uses the device’s power to reshape the galaxy.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm rather behind on the novels, as I haven't read any of them that belong to the new canon. I have read a number of the Legends novels, and many of them are quite good. I find it funny that so many fans (and I was one of them at one point) will scream about how the EU should have been the basis of the continuing films and that it was gold. It wasn't. You had some really great novels and series throughout, but then you had novels that were utter crap, and storylines that should have never been used (cloned Palpatine, Luke becoming his apprentice, etc.). And then there were novels that actually called those ideas out and ridiculed them.

As for the books, you can't go wrong with anything that has Timothy Zahn's name on it. The man knows how to craft a tale, and he writes in a way that feels like a Star Wars film. The Rogue Squadron books are good, and there are a few Darth Maul books and comics that are worth the read.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'm rather behind on the novels, as I haven't read any of them that belong to the new canon. I have read a number of the Legends novels, and many of them are quite good. I find it funny that so many fans (and I was one of them at one point) will scream about how the EU should have been the basis of the continuing films and that it was gold. It wasn't. You had some really great novels and series throughout, but then you had novels that were utter crap, and storylines that should have never been used (cloned Palpatine, Luke becoming his apprentice, etc.). And then there were novels that actually called those ideas out and ridiculed them.

As for the books, you can't go wrong with anything that has Timothy Zahn's name on it. The man knows how to craft a tale, and he writes in a way that feels like a Star Wars film. The Rogue Squadron books are good, and there are a few Darth Maul books and comics that are worth the read.
You know, for a guy that got sliced in two and fell down a bottomless pit, that Darth Maul bloke gets around quite a lot.

chainsaw_metal1

Still better than the Klingons on Discovery...
And here's my deal with Dathomir and the Night Sisters. They originated in a novel called The Courtship of Princess Leia, which is a really terrible novel. But the Night Sisters were the only really cool thing to come out of that book, so I'm glad they utilized them again in a medium that didn't make me want to throw a book across a room.

Really, really terrible novel.

ant-mac

Still better than the Klingons on Discovery...
And here's my deal with Dathomir and the Night Sisters. They originated in a novel called The Courtship of Princess Leia, which is a really terrible novel. But the Night Sisters were the only really cool thing to come out of that book, so I'm glad they utilized them again in a medium that didn't make me want to throw a book across a room.

Really, really terrible novel.
What Klingons in STAR TREK: DISCOVERY? :emoji_confused:

I haven't seen any Klingons on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY.

chainsaw_metal1

Weeeelllll, they say they're Klingons. I don't actually know who they are, but they say it. Honestly, they say a lot of things.

I think those Discovery aliens are sort of like the Nosferatu Romulans on Nemesis.

ant-mac

PS - And the story of the survival of Darth Maul is a bit of a stretch...

But it is science fiction.

I just have trouble with the mention of magic.

ant-mac

Weeeelllll, they say they're Klingons. I don't actually know who they are, but they say it. Honestly, they say a lot of things.

I think those Discovery aliens are sort of like the Nosferatu Romulans on Nemesis.
Those Nosferatu Romulans from STAR TREK: NEMESIS weren't Romulans. They were are completely different species called Remans. They were an enslaved species from the sister planet of Romulas, known as Remus.

chainsaw_metal1

Ah. See I never caught that bit. I got the impression that they were Romulans who had just mutated due to their being kept underground. I would rewatch Nemesis, but that would mean I would have to rewatch Nemesis. And while I don't hate the movie, it's not one I feel needs to have a reviewing at this moment.

ant-mac

Ah. See I never caught that bit. I got the impression that they were Romulans who had just mutated due to their being kept underground. I would rewatch Nemesis, but that would mean I would have to rewatch Nemesis. And while I don't hate the movie, it's not one I feel needs to have a reviewing at this moment.
I've seen STAR TREK: NEMESIS a few times and have no problem with re-watching it again one day.

In fact, I'd readily re-watch it multiple times instead of watching STAR TREK: DISCOVERY even once.