Review Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Theres no chance that it will end with episode 9. The series will continue as long as Disney believe they can make money from it.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Carrie Fisher Footage Used In “Episode 9”?

The loss of Carrie Fisher raised obvious questions regarding the future of her iconic role as Princess Leia in “Star Wars”.

The actress had already completed work on “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” before she died, but she was to have been a big character in Colin Trevorrow’s “Star Wars: Episode IX” which isn’t due to begin production until later this year.

Previously those at Lucasfilm indicated they had no plans to ‘resurrect’ her digitally in the way they did Peter Cushing’s Grand Moff Tarkin in the recent “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”. However, that doesn’t rule out using actual footage of her either – and it looks like they just might do that.

Carrie’s brother Todd Fisher, speaking with The New York Daily News, said that both he and Carrie’s daughter Billie Lourd “have granted the studio rights to use recent footage” of the actress for the film:

“Both of us were like, ‘Yes, how do you take her out of it?’ And the answer is you don’t. She’s as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi-Wan, when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that’s what’s happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue.”

There’s no details of when this footage was shot or how it will be altered to fit the story. Trevorrow offered an update on the film’s progress at CinemaCon last week, saying: “We’re writing, we’re designing, and there is a draft. You know, we’re throwing 110 percent of our souls into it, so there will be nothing left of me when I’m done.”

The comments come as Twitter activity on the official “Star Wars” account has led to fan speculation that Rosario Dawson, Dwayne Johnson and Cameron Monaghan may be involved in the franchise in some capacity in the near future.

“Star Wars: Episode IX” is due in cinemas sometime in 2019

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Oh, hang on......

Despite recent reports, Kathleen Kennedy says that Princess Leia will not appear in Episode IX
Despite an update last week from Todd Fisher, the brother of late actress Carrie Fisher, it seems Princess Leia will not be appearing in Star Wars: Episode IX. Speaking with Good Morning America today, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy denied the report, saying that Todd Fisher “was probably confused.”

“We finished everything in VIII and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie,” she told the outlet, “and we’re so happy we were able to complete filming in the summer. Unfortunately, Carrie passed away [at a] time when we were well underway with Episode IX in our thoughts. We had not written a script yet. But we’ve regrouped. We started over again in January. Sadly, Carrie will not be in IX.”

Kennedy’s comments are consistent with a statement from Disney and Lucasfilm released earlier this year.

We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation,” it read, “but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.”

Todd Fisher had told The New York Daily News last week that he and Fisher’s daughter, Billie Lourd, had just given permission to use existing footage in Episode IX.

“She’s as much a part of it as anything,” Fisher said during the TCM Film Festival in Los Angeles, “and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that’s what’s happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue.”

Doctor Omega

Trevorrow On His Hopes For “Star Wars”

trevorrow-on-his-hopes-for-star-wars-696x464.jpg

In the wake of the bad reviews for “The Book of Henry” earlier this Summer, the film’s director Colin Trevorrow came under criticism and fire as fans have grown concerned about how he’ll go helming “Star Wars: Episode IX”.

In a new interview with THR, Trevorrow defends his hiring saying:

“Not only did I grow up on these stories, like all of us did, [but] I think that the values of Star Wars are values that I hold very close and very dear in my life. I feel that the message of the way that the Force teaches you to treat other people and show respect for others, and the way it guides you through life, is really important to me. And I hope everybody would realize that that set of stories has affected me as deeply in my life as it has affected them.

I think the challenge for me is to recognize that everyone has their own personal relationship with these stories, and it’s different depending on who you are. And I need to make a film that you’ll appreciate, even if your experience with it was different, which is making something that will be deeply emotionally resonant and satisfying for people all around the world. And I think about it a lot.”

Trevorrow goes on to say that film is very much a team effort and that many fans make assumptions about a level of control which just isn’t there:

“There tends to be a lot of assumptions made about control, but the reality is, it’s a collaboration. It’s not me locked in a room with the producers trying to get in and me saying, ‘I’m making my decisions!’ It is a much more collaborative process. I think that except for very, very rare circumstances, there is no such thing as final cut anymore.

And I think the best-case scenario for any film is that the producer and the writer and the director are all on the same page and making the same movie. I’ve been fortunate enough in all the films that I’ve made so far that we haven’t had internal conflicts, as far as the movie that we were making. That can happen, and I know that’s frustrating for all involved when it does That’s not a situation I’m involved in.”

The comments come as “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” director Rian Johnson has shot down reports and rumors this week such as one which suggested Benicio del Toro’s role is Ezra Bridger from “Star Wars Rebels”.

Doctor Omega

Could The Book of Henry’s Critical Drubbing Really Affect Colin Trevorrow’s Star Wars Gig?

16-colin-trevorrow.w710.h473.jpg

Considering how quickly Colin Trevorrow’s star has risen, it’s always a little bracing to remember that The Book of Henry, which comes out this week, is just his third film. His first was Safety Not Guaranteed, a movie that’s since become one of the more quietly influential releases of the last decade; his second, of course, was Jurassic World, the record-setting reboot of, well, you know. The Book of Henry marks his return to the style of his debut: Both films are quirky, character-focused indies that play with genre and narrative, and they’re both comically less expensive than Trevorrow’s studio efforts. Unfortunately, at least according to Vulture’s Emily Yoshida andmany other critics, The Book of Henry has one little problem: It’s very, very bad.

The critical drubbing of Henry creates a fascinating situation. Trevorrow has already won the kingly honor of helming the forthcoming Star Wars: Episode IX. But because he’s made so few films, the reception of The Book of Henry has a different tenor than that of your average misfire by a big-budget filmmaker moonlighting in the indie world. This is a guy who’s already attracted a great deal of skepticism for his lack of experience, and for those people, Henry’s reception is only going to reinforce the idea that Trevorrow is the luckiest man in Hollywood, a director who made one pretty-good movie, then successfully managed the well-oiled Jurassicmachine. But considering how many would-be franchises have crashed and burned recently, Trevorrow’s feat isn’t necessarily so small. That’s the question at the heart of a debate that’s followed The Book of Henry’s release, one that The Hollywood Reporter’s John DeFore raised in his review: Could Henry call into question Trevorrow’s role as the director of Episode IX?

The short answer is no; the long answer is also no, but with one caveat. Trevorrow is far from the first successful director to make an unsuccessful film, and if The Book of Henry’s box-office gross reflects the critical pile on, there’s a good chance that the people already in business with Trevorrow will write it off as a failed experiment and move on. While it might make other executives think twice before hiring him to do Fast 18, the international success of Jurassic World — worldwide, it’s the fourth-highest-grossing movie ever — provides a powerful counterargument to any criticism. And as the appointment of Simon Kinberg to direct the new X-Men reminds us, the guys who make it into the blockbuster club tend to hang around, provided they remain somewhat professional and don’t embarrass their collaborators in the press.

That brings us to the case of Josh Trank, who has to be mentioned in any conversation about a director being removed from a Star Wars movie. Trank, as you may remember, was supposed to direct one of the spinoffs, until the disastrous release of Fantastic Four and the myriad stories that came with it brought an end to his relationship with Lucasfilm. But Trank’s situation is drastically different than Trevorrow’s. No such tales of indiscretion exist around the latter, and the money that Fox lost on Fantastic Four will greatly outweigh any disappointment The Book of Henry could possibly find in the marketplace. For Trank, Fantastic Fourwas the main event, whereas for Trevorrow, The Book of Henry is basically a gap year.

Meanwhile, Frank Marshall, Trevorrow’s producer on Jurassic World, is the husband of Kathleen Kennedy, the head of Lucasfilm; just last year, both of them, along with Spielberg himself, heaped praise on Trevorrowduring an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. And most of the Star Wars audience won’t ever even know that The Book of Henry existed, a fact that would’ve remained true even if it had turned out to be great. Most likely, the movie will come and go from theaters, and everyone will forget about it by the end of the summer. If worst comes to worst, Lucasfilm could bring in the kind of help that Gareth Edwards reportedly received with Rogue One, and that turned out just fine for everyone involved, Edwards included.

But here’s the caveat. Before Trevorrow’s ninth Star Wars film comes the eighth, December’s The Last Jedi, which is being written and directed by Rian Johnson. Johnson, a fan favorite thanks to indies like Brick and Looper, is one of the more exciting directors to get a crack at a movie of this size recently, and the fact that he’s both writing and directing it means that, if it’s a hit, he stands to become a nerd hero. As we’ve recently seen with the DC cinematic universe, vocal fans do have some sway with studios, and if The Last Jedi delivers, particularly considering the response to The Book of Henry, it isn’t hard to imagine a movement for him to have some involvement with Episode IX.

Even if that would be neither logistically possible nor something the powers that be would want, it would still create a tricky PR situation for Disney and Lucasfilm, which would hate to go into what should be one of the biggest movie events of all time with any notes of pessimism in the air. Could that touch Trevorrow? Again, it seems unlikely; Lucasfilm’s already replaced one more Star Wars director than they would’ve liked to. But with the amount of money at stake here, nothing’s out of the question.

Doctor Omega

Trevorrow Won’t Direct “Star Wars: Episode IX”

trevorrow-wont-direct-star-wars-episode-ix-696x464.jpg

In a brief statement just released on the official “Star Wars” website, it has been revealed that Colin Trevorrow is out as director of the next “Star Wars” saga film at Lucasfilm and Disney Pictures.

The statement, just posted on StarWars.com, reads as follows:

“Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”

Trevorrow’s hiring was always contentious with the fanbase in the wake of “Jurassic World” which proved popular at the box-office, but was met with mixed reaction. Trevorrow’s recent “The Book of Henry” scored outright pans.

At last report the film is targeting a May 24th 2019 release.

Doctor Omega

Rian Johnson Is “Star Wars Ep. 9” Frontrunner

rian-johnson-frontrunner-for-star-wars-9-696x464.jpg

Just hours from the announcement that Colin Trevorrow is off Disney and Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: Episode IX,” a rumored frontrunner has emerged and the choice is both obvious and welcome – Rian Johnson.

In a series that has seen a rocky developmental road with numerous problems and director changes mid-stream, Johnson’s work on “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” was comparatively smooth sailing – even with the passing of one of its key stars in Carrie Fisher.

The acclaimed “Brick” and “Looper” filmmaker has shown he has a steady hand and can work with Disney and Lucasfilm without issue. Asked the other month if he’d come back for another ‘Wars’ film he replied on Twitter: “I would do another SW movie in a heartbeat. I’ve had the time of my life.”

One key difference this time is Johnson hasn’t been involved in the writing of ‘Episode IX’ despite reports to the contrary. Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, and more recently Jack Thorne, have been the ones to work on the script.

“Star Wars: Episode IX” is currently slated to open on May 24th 2019.

Doctor Omega

“Star Wars” Insiders Talk Trevorrow Split

star-wars-insiders-talk-trevorrow-split-696x464.jpg

The biggest news of the week, and likely the month, was the departure of “Jurassic World” director Colin Trevorrow from the helm of “Star Wars Episode IX”. Trevorrow was hired for the gig a few years ago, but has now departed several months before filming is set to begin.

The incident is the latest in a notable trend at Lucasfilm following the firing of Phil Lord and Chris Miller amidst the filming of “Han Solo,” the extensive reshoots of Gareth Edwards’ “Rogue One” by another helmer, and the letting go of Josh Trank early in the development of another spin-off.

A new interview with Vulture with an anonymous insider in Lucasfilm confirms what we all expect – don’t mess with Kathleen Kennedy.

“There’s one gatekeeper when it comes to Star Wars and it’s Kathleen Kennedy. If you rub Kathleen Kennedy the wrong way – in any way – you’re out. You’re done. A lot of these young, new directors want to come in and say, ‘I want to do this. I want to do that.’ A lot of these guys – Lord and Miller, Colin Trevorrow – got very rich, very fast and believed a lot of their own hype. And they don’t want to play by the rules. They want to do s–t differently. And Kathleen Kennedy isn’t going to f–k around with that.”

Trevorrow’s departure, in particular, is said to be due to creative differences on the script, with the trades saying the relationship between the director and Kennedy had become unmanageable. The source now backs that up:

“During the making of ‘Jurassic World,’ he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion. But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do ‘Henry,’ [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view – and he was always asserting that… He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

This talk though leads to the obvious question – with so much churn in terms of directorial hirings, and an obvious and serious level of oversight, why would a talented filmmaker with any edge want to play in the “Star Wars” pit?

We may find out when Rian Johnson, the only director other than J.J. Abrams to seemingly have no real difficulties with his “Star Wars” production, releases his film “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in cinemas this December.

Doctor Omega

Abrams To Helm “Star Wars: Episode IX”

abrams-to-helm-star-wars-episode-ix-696x464.jpg

Lucasfilm is returning to familiar safe territory with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” filmmaker J.J. Abrams slated to return to the franchise to direct “Star Wars: Episode IX” after the exit of former director, Colin Trevorrow earlier this month.

In a statement, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says: “I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy. With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Abrams will also co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Trevorrow exited the project after issues with the script persisted throughout development. Jack Thorne was tapped to work on the script, how much of his will now remain is unclear.

“Star Wars: Episode IX” is set to hit cinemas on May 24th 2019.

Doctor Omega

“Star Wars: Episode IX” Delayed To Dec 2019

star-wars-episode-ix-delayed-to-dec-2019-696x464.jpg

In the wake of this morning’s announcement that J.J. Abrams will be taking over for Colin Trevorrow as director of “Star Wars: Episode IX,” it comes as little surprise that the film has been officially delayed.

Previously set for a May 24th 2019 release date, the film will now open on December 20th 2019. Disney is moving in Guy Ritchie’s live-action “Aladdin” to take the vacated May 24th slot.

‘Episode IX’, taking the December berth that has become the norm for “Star Wars” films in recent years, is now scheduled to open up against the long in-development “Wicked” film and just one week after “Wonder Woman 2”.

Abrams will direct the film and co-write the script with Chris Terrio (“Justice League,” “Argo”) with Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm producing.

Doctor Omega

John Williams To Score “Star Wars: Episode IX”

john-williams-to-score-star-wars-episode-ix-696x464.jpg

John Williams is set to close out the Skywalker saga of the “Star Wars” universe with Film Music Reporter and Variety reporting today that the famed composer will score J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode IX”.

The 85-year-old Williams says: “I would very much like to complete that” and adds that he has no plans to retire anytime soon:

“I don’t think you can retire from writing. I feel very lucky, and the work that I do doesn’t depend on much. If your vision’s still good, and your hands – I have no arthritis in my hands and I play the piano very easily – I don’t think there’s any reason to deprive oneself of the fun of working. Music is so rewarding.”

Williams has scored every “Star Wars” live-action film aside from the spin-offs “Rogue One” and the upcoming “Solo,” though he’s doing the theme for the latter. “Star Wars: Episode IX” is set to open December 20th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Trevorrow Rumors

Long before J.J. Abrams came onboard to direct, “Jurassic World” filmmaker Colin Trevorrow was slated to helm “Star Wars: Episode IX” and was attached long enough to come up with some ideas for where it should go.

Actor Mark Hamill has previously indicated he and Trevorrow were very much on the same page about the path laid out for the character of Luke Skywalker in the final film. Then Trevorrow was famously let go and ‘The Last Jedi’ changed the franchise’s game plan for Luke Skywalker.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR “STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI”

Now, a Redditor (via CBM) claims to have some new insight and says Trevorrow fought to have Luke Skywalker remain alive in Episode IX and had big plans for Luke and Leia’s relationship which included exploring her links to the Force in a “beautiful and tragic” way.

Trevorrow also apparently wanted Supreme Leader Snoke to stay alive in order to explore the villain’s backstory and so he would end the trilogy with Luke walking off into the sunset. Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy however were the ones adamant Luke die.

Doctor Omega

“Star Wars: Episode IX” Films In July

star-wars-episode-ix-films-in-july-696x464.jpg

Actor John Boyega has been out on the publicity circuit for “Pacific Rim: Uprising” and, understandably, has been asked what he knows about the upcoming “Star Wars: Episode IX” – the third and apparent final chapter in the modern “Star Wars” trilogy following last year’s contentious “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”.

Boyega confirmed a start date, telling Digital Spy: “I don’t know a thing, but I know I start filming in July. They’re prepping and planning. J.J. has a script, but I just haven’t read it yet. You have to go to a room where the script is… I can’t lie, sometimes you get to bring it back home.”

The start date makes sense after the film was pushed back from May to December 2019, not to mention the delay that came with switching out director Colin Trevorrow with J.J. Abrams. Abrams did the talk show circuit a few weeks back confirming the script is pretty much done.