Fun Steampunk

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I am not a Steampunk fan, per se, but went to the Lincoln uk annual event yesterday out of curiosity, which prompted me to start the thread.

I was fascinated by the creativity on display as regards costumes, but there also seemed to be echoes of Comic Con in other ways.

Overpriced entry to the castle grounds, (Which seemed to simply be lots and lots of stalls selling all things Steampunk and overcharging for a burger. We did not bother and stayed instead on the top of steep hill, where, incidentally they recently filmed the movie Peterloo and where there were still stalls aplenty anyway, showing just how big a "thing" this steampunk has become.) Sadly said stalls were generally very over priced, with local shops stretching down the hill, also jumping on the bandwagon offering for example, "Steampunk teas" (cup o tea and a slice of Steam-punkilly decorated cake with a sandwich for £14.99. There was just a huge ethos, I felt, of ripping people off basically. Let's stick a feather on a hat and charge a fortune.

I think that Steampunk will morph into something else soon - and I read that it morphed itself from the Goth era of decades past.

But for now, in my opinion, it has turned into a highly exploitable brand aimed at people who may have more money than sense.

Nobody has really posted any videos of yesterday worth watching, but here is one short one covering last year's Lincoln event.....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The movie Brazil seems like steampunk, according to the second video.
Am ashamed to say this BRAZIL is one of those many films that I have yet to sit down and properly watch. Which is doubly embarrassing, as my fave writer Harlan Ellison absolutely loved it and never stopped raving about it....