Fun Stephen King

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Stephen King hated Stanley Kubrick's adaption of The Shining.

Which of the two men was right?

And which is better? Book or film?

Last edited:

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
TOP SHELF; it doesn't get any better than this
Black House
Christine
Danse Macabre
Dead Zone, The
Desperation
Different Seasons
Duma Key
Firestarter
Misery
Night Shift
On Writing
Roadwork
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Stand, The
Waste Lands, The
Wizard & Glass

Good quality call brand; always very enjoyable
11/22/63
Bag of Bones
Creepshow
Dark Tower, The
Dolores Claiborne
End of Watch
Everything's Eventual
Finders Keepers
Four Past Midnight
Full Dark, No Stars
Green Mile, The
Hearts in Atlantis
It
Joyland
Just After Sunset
Long Walk, The
Mr. Mercedes
Pet Sematary
Rage
Rose Madder
Running Man, The
Secret Windows
Skeleton Crew
Thinner
Under the Dome
Wind Through the Keyhole, The
Wolves of the Calla

House brand--on sale; okay in a pinch
Blaze
Blockade Billy
Carrie
Cell
Colorado Kid, The
Cujo
Cycle of the Werewolf
Dark Half, The
Drawing of the Three, The
Dr. Sleep
Eyes of the Dragon
From a Buick 8
Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, The
Gunslinger, The
Lisey's Story
Needful Things
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Revival
Song of Susannah
Storm of the Century

Rockgut; swill to avoid forevermore
Dreamcatcher
Gerald's Game
Insomnia
Regulators, The
Talisman, The
Tommyknockers, The

Hmmm, did I leave any out?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I read The Shining in my 20's and had nightmares for days afterwards. Had to sleep with the light on. Never been game to watch the movie.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I think his best work is right here and now, trolling Trump - short sweet tweets that raise a giggle and, with his fan base, hopefully rock the boat like IT surging to the surface red in tooth and claw.
I like this man. He can write, and think, and do the right thing. Doesn't get much better than that.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I always liked his short stories. Im also a big fan of Carrie and I used to really like Rage(a little less, now that Im older).
What I like about King, is that he can make things that should seem stupid as hell, seem real and unsettling.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
In a paper I wrote back in college, I compared King to Garrison Keillor. They both do a wonderful job of creating a visual of picturesque, small town America. The difference is, Keillor points out what's wrong and finds the humor, whereas King finds the horror. I also think of it as King looking at a Norman Rockwell painting and seeing a monster where there should be a barber, or a boy scout, or a pastor.

I haven't read as much of King's work as I should have, but what I have read, I love (my wife has most of his books). I love his short stories, and the Dark Tower series (I haven't read all of it, but have - I think - all of the books). He is definitely in my top five list of authors.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
King has a genuine knack for characterization, and he also has a talent for creating subtle chills when he's at his best. The thing that irks me about too much of his work, both in the novel and short story genres, is that he cannot seem to stay away from the all-too-frequent urge to pile on the gore and shock effects, which oftentimes serve to completely dispel the very real disquiet of his less pyrotechnic moments. He could stand to take a lesson or two from Ray Bradbury and other writers who understand that sometimes less is more--and more frightening--when it comes to the display of horrors.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
The man can write some of the best horror books around. He even act and can play an even creeper role or two. Plus, like Hitchcock it's always fun to see him pop up in one of his movies.

Talk about roles of Steven King.

What are your favorite movies, books, lines, characters, & you can share photos or videos?

Sons Of Anarchy
SOA.jpg
Thinner
thinner.jpg
Pet Sematary
petsematary01.jpg
Sleepwalkers
stephen-king-sleepwalkers.jpg

Maximum Overdrive

Max overdrive.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Stephen King Reveals What Scares Him Most

Author Stephen King is often considered a master of horror, striking fear in the hearts of many with his terrifying tales. Even though many people might blame him for inspiring all sorts of phobias, the man himself isn't immune to having fears, with King recently revealing how horrified he is of air travel.

When Variety asked the author if anything scared him, he explained, "Oh God, yes. Air travel is a big one with me because I feel like I’m not in control. I’m close to 70 now, so I’m worried about basically having the cheese slide off my cracker — Alzheimer’s, dementia, stuff like that."

The author's stories don't typically involve real-world horrors, instead choosing to stick to supernatural horrors. However, it sounds like some of his biggest fears are things most of us are afraid of.

"I don’t like bugs, I don’t like bats, I don’t like things that creep and crawl. With the exception of snakes, somehow they don’t really turn my dials," King confessed.

Stories like Secret Window, Misery and Mr. Mercedes do explore the lengths that humans go to express their rage on their victims, which is something that also strikes fear into the heart of the author.

"But I’m also afraid of people like Brady Hartsfield, they’re out there. And it crosses my mind every time I do a public event. You think about somebody like Mark David Chapman, and you think maybe somebody’s got a knife out for you. But that’s part of life," King continued.

Despite his fears about these public events, the author knows that allowing those fears to impact his way of life means those people have won.

When speaking about encounters with fans, King revealed, "Most of them are really positive, but it only takes one. When I got out in public, not to be corny, but I feel the love. There’s a sense you made a difference in people’s lives and they want to say thank you for that. Now and then you get a creepy letter. You can’t really control it, all you can hope is you can duck at the right time."

An adaptation of one of Stephen King's most beloved stories, It, will be hitting theaters September 8.

Doctor Omega

King Talks “Stand” & “Salem’s Lot” Remakes

king-talks-stand-salems-lot-remakes-696x464.jpg

With “IT” passing the $500 million mark at the box-office, and with the imminent release of the well-reviewed film adaptation of “Gerald’s Game” on Netflix in a few hours, it’s a good month to be a fan of Stephen King.

Speaking with Vulture recently about other adaptations of his works coming down the pipeline, King reveals that two of his most iconic early works are looking to score new adaptations soon:

“There’s talk about doing The Stand as an extended TV series, possibly for Showtime or CBS All Access. And there’s been some interest in developing Salem’s Lot as a feature, probably because people are saying, ‘Well, we took an old miniseries called IT and turned it into a phenomenon, so maybe we can do it with something else.’ Nothing succeeds like excess!”

Attempts to turn “The Stand” into a feature is something that’s been in the works for a while now with “The Fault in Our Stars” director Josh Boone working on a movie adaptation – a project that hasn’t had much movement recently. The property was previously adapted for TV in the 1990s as a mini-series.

“Salem’s Lot” was done as a telemovie by Tobe Hooper in 1979 and a mini-series starring Rob Lowe in 2004, but neither is considered a particularly definitive adaptation.

King also says there’s talk about an animated feature adaptation of one of his other works, and while it looks like that one might happen – he won’t reveal what it is.

Rob

Member: Rank 1
TOP SHELF; it doesn't get any better than this
Black House
Christine
Danse Macabre
Dead Zone, The
Desperation
Different Seasons
Duma Key
Firestarter
Misery
Night Shift
On Writing
Roadwork
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Stand, The
Waste Lands, The
Wizard & Glass

Good quality call brand; always very enjoyable
11/22/63
Bag of Bones
Creepshow
Dark Tower, The
Dolores Claiborne
End of Watch
Everything's Eventual
Finders Keepers
Four Past Midnight
Full Dark, No Stars
Green Mile, The
Hearts in Atlantis
It
Joyland
Just After Sunset
Long Walk, The
Mr. Mercedes
Pet Sematary
Rage
Rose Madder
Running Man, The
Secret Windows
Skeleton Crew
Thinner
Under the Dome
Wind Through the Keyhole, The
Wolves of the Calla

House brand--on sale; okay in a pinch
Blaze
Blockade Billy
Carrie
Cell
Colorado Kid, The
Cujo
Cycle of the Werewolf
Dark Half, The
Drawing of the Three, The
Dr. Sleep
Eyes of the Dragon
From a Buick 8
Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, The
Gunslinger, The
Lisey's Story
Needful Things
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Revival
Song of Susannah
Storm of the Century

Rockgut; swill to avoid forevermore
Dreamcatcher
Gerald's Game
Insomnia
Regulators, The
Talisman, The
Tommyknockers, The

Hmmm, did I leave any out?

You rate the Talisman so low, but Black house so much higher, I loved the Talisman, and whilst I enjoyed Black house, it was not, for me, as good as the first book. The Talisman is something I would love to be turned into a miniseries, although I think the only people who could do it justice would be HBO, or, if the passed on it, Netflix.

Doctor Omega

10.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

Devin, a college student, takes a summer job at an amusement park in a North Carolina tourist town, where he confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child and the way both will change his life forever.

Doctor Omega

King’s “Joyland” Turns Series

koontzs-strangers-kings-joyland-become-series-696x464.jpg

Freeform has begun development of series based on Stephen King’s “Joyland” which comes from producers Chris Pena (“Jane the Virgin”), Cyrus Nowrasteh (“The Stoning of Soraya M.”) and Bill Haber (“Valor”).

The story follows Devin, a college student who takes a summer job at an amusement park in a North Carolina tourist town, confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child and the way both will change his life forever.

Pena and Nowrasteh are set to write the pilot script and produce. Haber will executive produce.