Review Suicide Squad (2016)

Discussion in 'DCEU: Films & General Discussion' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

Suicide Squad
    is a 2016 American superhero film based on the DC Comics antihero team of the same name. It is the third installment in the DC Extended Universe. The film is written and directed by David Ayer and stars an ensemble cast consisting of Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ike Barinholtz, Scott Eastwood, and Cara Delevingne. In Suicide Squad, a secret government agency led by Amanda Waller recruits imprisoned supervillains to execute dangerous black ops missions and save the world from a powerful threat, in exchange for leaner sentences. By February 2009, a Suicide Squad film was in development at Warner Bros. Pictures. Ayer signed on to write and direct in September 2014, and by October, the casting process had begun. Principal photography began on April 13, 2015, in Toronto, Ontario, with additional filming in Chicago, Illinois, and ended in August that year.

Suicide Squad premiered in New York City on August 1, 2016, and was released in the United States on August 5, 2016, in 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D. Following a strong debut that set new box office records, the film grossed over $745 million worldwide, making it the tenth highest-grossing film of 2016. It received generally negative reviews from critics, who criticized the plot, directing and characters, though Robbie and Leto's performances received praise. The film has been nominated for and won multiple awards across various categories, including hair and make-up, acting, and music.

#1 Doctor Omega, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Hux

Hux Member: Rank 6

Just awful.

I can't be bothered addressing all the truly abysmal things in this truly abysmal movie so I'll let others do it.

But before we begin, I just want to say... THIS WAS SHIT!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Ayer On “Suicide Squad” Backlash Intensity

ayer-talks-suicide-squad-regrets-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker David Ayer made a name for himself as a gritty dramatist, one who broke into Hollywood with some strong screenplays usually involving cops and intense situations including “Training Day,” “Dark Blue,” “The Fast and the Furious” and “U-571”.

He then turned to directing where his output has been more of a mixed bag. “Harsh Times,” “End of Watch” and “Fury” are all films better than their reputation suggests. The same isn’t true of “Sabotage,” “Suicide Squad” and “Bright” which have been lambasted to the high hills.

Chatting with EW recently, he revealed that it was the negative critical consensus on “Suicide Squad” that left him the most shaken of his career:

“It was s–t. Yeah, it was s–t reviews. I got my throat cut. It was a super polarizing movie. Incredibly polarizing. It’s like going to the boxing ring and getting knocked out is how it felt. And I had to go into the ring again. And directing is a confidence game, because you’re selling everyone on something that only exists in your head. The actors have to feel that confidence to trust that you know what you’re doing, and so does your crew. As a director, you set the tone. Really, it’s coming off that movie, I understood the pitfalls, I understood the dangers, I knew where the alligators hide, you know? And so I made damn sure I didn’t repeat any mistakes.”

Ayer has been linked to the “Suicide Squad” spin-off “Gotham City Sirens,” but more recently the just green lit “Bright” sequel looks like it has taken priority and will be his next project.

5. McQualude

McQualude Member: Rank 3

Wait, Bright was lambasted? It's a good movie. Suicide Squad is the best DC movie yet but they've all been pretty bad.