chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This could have been a good film. I still love the fight between bad Supes and Clark Kent. But Richard Pryor never should have been in a Superman film. Had this film been given another couple of rewrites, it may have been looked upon as a classic rather than a misstep.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I felt sorry for Margot Kidder too.

She had been quite vocal in her unhappiness at the replacement of Richard Donner with Richard Lester as director of Superman II.

Hey presto! She is only in the opening and closing scenes of this film, replaced of course by Lana Lang. She felt it was revenge on the part of the producers, who absolutely denied that this was the case.

I liked the junkyard fight scene too - and the moment where that lady got turned into a robot,

Errmm, that's pretty much it! :emoji_alien:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
As a kid, it was my favourite one because it was pretty funny. And I love the good/bad Superman fight.

I was surprised to learn Reeves thought (in hindsight) that they should have stopped after the second one.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Production:

Development
Series producer Ilya Salkind originally wrote a treatment for this film that included Brainiac, Mister Mxyzptlk and Supergirl, but Warner Bros. did not like it.

The treatment was released online in 2007.

The Mr. Mxyzptlk portrayed in the outline varies from his good-humored comic counterpart, as he uses his abilities to cause serious harm.

Dudley Moore was the top choice to play the role.

Meanwhile, in the same treatment, Brainiac was from Colu and had discovered Supergirl in the same way that Superman was found by the Kents.

Brainiac is portrayed as a surrogate father to Supergirl and eventually fell in love with his "daughter", who did not reciprocate his feelings, as she had fallen in love with Superman.

Both Gene Hackman and Margot Kidder were angry with the way the Salkinds treated Superman director Richard Donner, with Hackman retaliating by refusing to reprise the role of Lex Luthor.

After Margot Kidder publicly criticized the Salkinds for their treatment of Donner, the producers reportedly "punished" the actress by reducing her role in Superman III to a brief appearance.

However, Hackman later denied such claims, stating that he had been busy with other movies and general consensus that making Luthor a constant villain would be akin to incessant horror movie sequels where a serial killer keeps coming back from the grave. Hackman did reprise his role as Lex Luthor in Superman IV, with which the Salkinds had no involvement.

In his commentary for the 2006 DVD release of Superman III, Ilya Salkind denied any ill will between Margot Kidder and his production team and denied the claim that her part was cut for retaliation. Instead, he said, the creative team decided to pursue a different direction for a love interest for Superman, believing the Lois and Clark relationship had been played out in the first two films (but could be revisited in the future). With the choice to give a more prominent role to Lana Lang, Lois' part was reduced for story reasons. Salkind also denied the reports about Gene Hackman being upset with him, stating that Hackman was unable to return because of other film commitments.

Following the release of this movie, Pryor signed a five-year contract with Columbia Pictures worth $40 million.

Gavin

VIP
I remember enjoying this when it first came out in Australia (I was about 14). There are aspects that work well but Richard Pryor was a mistake. He's very funny but the character wasn't the right fit for a Superman movie. A super-genius who's also a fuckwit? It might have been a better move to go with Mr. Mxyzptlk. That would have enabled them to keep the humorous side of the story, and the fight between good and bad Supes, but have a believable villain. And yes I did just call Mr. Mxyzptlk more realistic than Gus Gorman.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I remember enjoying this when it first came out in Australia (I was about 14). There are aspects that work well but Richard Pryor was a mistake. He's very funny but the character wasn't the right fit for a Superman movie. A super-genius who's also a fuckwit? It might have been a better move to go with Mr. Mxyzptlk. That would have enabled them to keep the humorous side of the story, and the fight between good and bad Supes, but have a believable villain. And yes I did just call Mr. Mxyzptlk more realistic than Gus Gorman.
I enjoyed the junkyard battle between Superman and his alter ego. I also liked Pamela Stephenson and Annette O'Toole and enjoyed certain aspects of Richard Pryor's performance, but in general, it was all a bit less impressive than its two immediate predecessors.

Gavin

VIP
I enjoyed the junkyard battle between Superman and his alter ego. I also liked Pamela Stephenson and Annette O'Toole and enjoyed certain aspects of Richard Pryor's performance, but in general, it was all a bit less impressive than its two immediate predecessors.
There was a general downward slide from I to III and I suspect its directly correlated to the levels of involvement of Donner and Lester in each of the movies.