Review Superman Returns (2006)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I saw it in the theatre, and remembered finding it enjoyable, if only that it came after THE QUEST FOR PEACE, and the effects were awesome. Looking back on it now, we have a stalker superhero with a bastard kid, a Lois who is less fiery, self-assured reporter and someone who looks like she should be doing a job shadow for her high school English class, and a boring retread of the plot of the first film. Spacey is great as Luthor. And I would have liked to have seen what Routh might have done with a better script. Luckily, he's great as Ray Palmer in the CW DC universe.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
There are some interesting things going on in this but ultimately it falls short. Finding a Reeves lookalike and re-using the theme from the other movies and essentially just creating a sequel to the last Reeves films was an odd choice. As someone who is bored of origin stories, I was happy to discover it would begin with Superman as an established character and get on with the story but unfortunately there was just something a bit flat about the whole thing. Like it was a weird Reeves fan fetish film but with better effects.

My major criticism would be thingy; the woman. Can't even remember her name.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Apparently people questioned this and it was explained that the studio, or whoever it was, cast Lois and Clark so young in this film, so as to allow for sequels.

But Lois looks ridiculously young, especially considering that Supes vanished out of her life some five years before.

Hardbitten, sassy reporter - and a successor to Margot Kidder in the role? I don't think so!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Brandon Routh was excellent but it was a mistake to make this a continuation. As much as I dislike reboots, this was a time when it was needed. And even as a reboot they wouldn't have needed to show the origin. With a character like superman you could easily just start him as an established hero with any necessary back story filled in as needed.

Last edited: