Review Suspiria (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
dgfgad.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

A darkness swirls at the center of a world-renowned dance company, one that will engulf the artistic director, an ambitious young dancer, and a grieving psychotherapist. Some will succumb to the nightmare. Others will finally wake up.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Dakota Johnson stars as a young American woman who travels to the prestigious Markos Tanz Company in Berlin in the year 1977. She arrives just as one of the Company’s members, Patricia (Chloe Grace Moretz), has disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

As Susie makes extraordinary progress under the guidance of Madame Blanc (Tilda Swinton), the Company’s revolutionary artistic director, she befriends another dancer, Sara (Mia Goth), who shares her suspicions of a dark and menacing secret at the heart of the Company.

Footage screened for exhibitors reportedly had much of the crowd looking away in horror. Variety describes one scene featured which was set to a gentle melody:

“The scene finds Dakota Johnson practising ballet at a creepy dance company. Every pirouette she pulls off has gruesome consequences for another dancer in another studio – as Johnson practices, the other young woman is literally ripped apart, descending into a mess of broken bones, urine, spittle, and blood. It’s intense, to put it mildly.”

Fandango dubs the film “Call Me By Your Bent Body” and says the footage has a 1970s sepia tone to it. Radiohead’s Thom Yorke composed the score for the film opening this Fall.

Doctor Omega

Suspiria
Streaming service MUBI has picked up the U.K. theatrical rights to Luca Guadagnino’s anticipated “Suspiria” remake which Amazon is releasing in the United States. MUBI has confirmed the film has been set for a November 16th release on over one-hundred screens – MUBI’s biggest release to date.

Doctor Omega

“Suspiria” Director Wants It To Be Relentless

suspiria-director-wants-it-to-be-relentless-696x464.jpg

Italian auteur Luca Guadagnino (“Call Me by Your Name”) has been a long time fan of Dario Argento’s famed 1977 cult film “Suspiria”. Now, over forty years after it hit cinemas, he has remade it and taken the cult film in a new and quite different direction to the original.

Set to have its world premiere in Venice this coming weekend ahead of an October release, the new film takes place in Berlin in 1977 and tells the story of a gifted dancer (Dakota Johnson) who joins a dance school run by a coven of witches.

Speaking with THR about his aims for the remake, he says the main goal is pure unadulterated fright:

“I hope that the movie comes across as a relentless experience that’s going to go deep into your skin all the way down into your spine. I want the movie to perform as the most disturbing experience you can have. The movie is about being immersed in a world of turmoil and uncompromising darkness.”

Guadagnino dismisses claims of actress Tilda Swinton playing the role of Dr. Jozef Klemperer in the film, saying it’s very much an 82-year-old German man with no previous acting credits:

“No, no. It’s Lutz Ebersdorf. There was all this talk about Tilda playing the role and it came out of nowhere and I don’t know why… I always like to cast people that are not necessarily actors. If you think of Call Me by Your Name, I asked this lady that I saw bicycling in the countryside, Vanda Capriolo, to play Mafalda, and now she plays a role in Suspiria. I like to think out of the box.”

He also confirms he and musician Thom Yorke started working on the soundtrack even before they started shooting, and Argento himself has seen the film.

Doctor Omega

Guadagnino On “Suspiria” Sequel & Post-Credits

guadagnino-on-suspiria-sequel-post-credits-696x464.jpg

The recent trailer for Luca Guadagnino’s upcoming remake of “Suspiria” suggests the film will be going beyond the original movie’s brief and delve into the ‘Three Mothers’ mythology that was spread across Dario Argento’s films.

Argento’s original films revolved around three powerful witches – Mater Tenebrarum (Mother of Darkness), Mater Lachrymarum (Mother of Tears) and Mater Suspiriorum (Mother of Sighs) – with each only appearing once in one of three of his films – 1977’s “Suspiria,” 1980’s “Inferno” and 2007’s “The Mother of Tears”.

The original “Suspiria” worked effectively as a standalone, but with the new film’s much roomier 152-minute runtime it begs the question as to whether there will be setups or hints for a sequel in this. Guadagnino tells Deadline that he’s certainly open to the possibility:

“At the beginning we were going to title the movie Suspiria: Part One but we didn’t want to give the impression of something that couldn’t stand alone. Truthfully, I’d be interested to explore the origin of Madame Blanc and Helena Markos and also the future of Suzy Bannion in the world. So maybe. We’ll have to see how the movie goes.”

He also confirms there’s an after-credits sequence – one in which a “character is looking forward towards something”. The question is whether the film will be profitable enough to do a sequel. Costing a quite economical $20 million, the film doesn’t have to make much to be a hit – but the long runtime filled with what is reportedly some truly disturbing and unrelenting horrific imagery will probably prevent the film from being widely embraced even if the critics adore it.

We’ll get an idea of the reaction this weekend after the film premieres at the Venice Film Festival ahead of its U.S. theatrical release starting October 26th.

Doctor Omega

“Suspiria” Early Reviews Prove Very Divisive

There was applause and whistling, and there were also boos and walkouts at the press screening, and so Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” premiered at the Venice Film Festival to the exact kind of reaction you’d expect a 2.5 hour brutal, gory, slow-burn arthouse horror title would get. That includes the actual premiere itself where it received an eight-minute standing ovation.

Reviews seem to be similarly split – wildly divisive with some labelling it a masterpiece, others calling it a self-serious bore. All say this new take on Dario Argento’s 1977 supernatural classic is completely different to Argento’s garishly excessive and neon-soaked fever dream original, and many are labelling it “this year’s Mother” in terms of the likely reactions. Here’s a sampling of reviews:

“‘Suspiria’ is that rarity, an extreme horror movie made by a deeply serious maestro of a director. Yet considering that it’s a remake of one of the most lavishly nutty baroque-schlock horror films of its era, you’d think Guadagnino might have wanted to lighten up. But no… The new “Suspiria” has more than touch of [Rainer Werner] Fassbinder’s astringent dryness and rigor, and a little of that goes a long way. The movie, while absorbingly crafted, is two-and-a-half hours of solemn slow-burn mystery. “Suspiria” has the virtues, but also the limits, of a lavishly cerebral high-end horror film. It holds your attention, and creeps you out at times, but it’s not scary, and it’s not really – dare I say it? – fun.” – Owen Gleiberman, Variety

“There are smart moments of fear and subliminal shivers of disquiet, the dance sequences are good and of course Guadagnino could never be anything other than an intelligent film-maker. But this is a weirdly passionless film. The spark of pure diabolical craziness of Argento has gone, together with his brash streak of black comedy, and in its place is something determinedly upscale and upper-middlebrow, with indigestible new layers of historical meaning added.” – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

“I love Luca Guadagnino’s grotesque, political, radically feminine interpretation… What Luca does, and frankly, what Suspiria deserves, is to turn the tale of a coven of witches who lord over an unholy dance academy in Berlin inside out. What was a pretty goal-oriented game of “escape the old crones” becomes something more impressionistic about the absurd violence of being a woman… Suspiria is a gorgeous, hideous, uncompromising film, and while it seeks to do many things, settling our minds about the brutality of the past and human nature is not one of them.” – Emily Yoshida, Vulture

“Almost certain to be the most polarizing film since ‘mother!’ split audiences between rapture and embarrassment last fall, Guadagnino’s radical new take is less a remake of the original than it is an estranged sibling. As grim and severe as Argento’s film was ecstatic and harlequin, this ‘Suspiria’ offers a richer, more explicit interpretation – [this] wicked opus ultimately cares more about the scars it leaves behind than it does the violence that caused them, or might cut them open again.” – David Ehrlich, Indiewire

“Luca Guadagnino’s elaborate Suspiria remake is a head-scratcher. The Amazon release is bound to be polarizing, with some genre aficionados sure to respond to its respect for the source material while others will bemoan the relative meagerness of its fright factor. The movie, as expected, is exquisitely crafted and rich in atmosphere. [Screenwriter] David Kajganich mined this vein far more effectively in the terrific debut season of AMC’s horror anthology series ‘The Terror’…It’s all quite aesthetically striking and yet the new Suspiria remains distancing, often borderline inert, not to mention only marginally more coherent than the original version.” – David Rooney, THR

“This new Suspiria is bland, grisly, boring and silly. There is nothing poetic or erotic about it. It’s not the fault of the actors…Guadagnino is tripped up by his own ambitions. He has made the plot and the setting insanely complicated. Even if Suspiria is at times unpleasantly grim, it’s not exactly scary.” – Stephanie Zacharek, Time

“Suspiria” opens in limited release on October 26th before going wide a week later.