Born Arthur Andrew Kelm
July 11, 1931 (age 86)
New York City, New York, United States
Other names Arthur Gelien
Occupation Actor, singer, film producer, writer
Years active 1950–present
Partner(s) Allan Glaser (1983–present)[1]
Website http://www.tabhunter.com
Tab Hunter (born Arthur Andrew Kelm; July 11, 1931) is an American actor, pop singer, film producer, and author. He starred in over 40 films and is probably best known as a Hollywood star of the 1950s and 1960s.

Personal life

Hunter in April 2010
Hunter's autobiography, Tab Hunter Confidential: The Making of a Movie Star (2005), co-written with Eddie Muller, became a New York Times best-seller as did the paperback edition in 2007. The book is currently in publication and was nominated for several writing awards. It re-entered the New York Times Best Seller list for a third time on June 28, 2015 during the release of the documentary film based on the book.

In the book, he acknowledged that he is gay, confirming rumors that had circulated since the height of his fame. According to William L. Hamilton of The New York Times, detailed reports about Hunter's alleged romances with close friends Debbie Reynolds and Natalie Wood were strictly the fodder of studio publicity departments. As Wood and Hunter embarked on a well-publicized but fictitious romance, promoting his apparent heterosexuality while promoting their films, insiders developed their own headline for the item: "Natalie Wood and Tab Wouldn't."[17]

Hunter became close enough with Etchika Choureau, his co-star in Lafayette Escadrille, and Joan Perry, widow of Harry Cohn, to contemplate marriage, but he thought he never could maintain a marriage, and remained merely platonic friends with both women.

During Hollywood's studio era, Hunter says, "[life] was difficult for me, because I was living two lives at that time. A private life of my own, which I never discussed, never talked about to anyone. And then my Hollywood life, which was just trying to learn my craft and succeed..." The star emphasizes that the word 'gay' "wasn't even around in those days, and if anyone ever confronted me with it, I'd just kinda freak out. I was in total denial. I was just not comfortable in that Hollywood scene, other than the work process."[18] "There was a lot written about my sexuality, and the press was pretty darn cruel", the actor says, but what "moviegoers wanted to hold in their hearts were the boy-next-door marines, cowboys and swoon-bait sweethearts I portrayed."[17]

Hunter had long-term relationships with actor Anthony Perkins and champion figure skater Ronnie Robertson, before settling down with his partner of over 35 years, film producer Allan Glaser.[19] While serving in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War, his brother Walter was killed in action in South Vietnam on October 28, 1965.

Hunter was raised in his mother's Catholic faith which he has practiced for most of his life.[20][21][22] His mother died at age 92, and buried at Santa Barbara Cemetery.

Hunter has a star for his contributions to the music industry on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6320 Hollywood Blvd.

In 2007, a Golden Palm Star on the Palm Springs, California, Walk of Stars was dedicated to him.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Abrams, Quinto Team For Tab Hunter Biopic

abrams-quinto-team-for-tab-hunter-biopic-696x464.jpg

JJ Abrams and Zachary Quinto are teaming to produce “Tab & Tony,” a film about actors Tab Hunter and Anthony Perkins and their secret love affair, which has been set up at Paramount Pictures.

The project is still very much in early development without actors or a director attached but is based on Hunter’s account of his struggle to come to terms with being gay in the 1950s.

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Doug Wright has been hired to write the screenplay while Abrams, Quintop, Allan Glaser and Neil Koenigsberg will produce.

The news comes as Abrams is set to executive produce the half-hour dramedy series “Little Voices” which has just been ordered straight-to-series at Apple with ten episodes. That series is described as a love letter to the diverse musicality of New York which explores the universal journey of finding your authentic voice in your early 20s.