Controversial Talking THE TOLKIEN FRANCHISE!

Discussion in 'The Lord Of The Rings' started by Doctor Omega, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

tumblr_static_9emj96bmuewwkgkscckowcks4_640_v2.jpg

Is that it for the films?

Would a tv series work?

Or is there a dim future for this particular franchise?

2. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

I suspect a TV series could work for LOTR or even an eventual trilogy movie remake could be on the cards. But, given how well this trilogy worked out from both an audience and critical reception, I think it would need to be a long time before they tried to do it. Unless someone is very sure they can do something that will be better received than Peter Jackson's version any attempt to remake this in any format is doomed to failure as long as people remember them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

After six films, I should fucking hope so.
    Yes, it would - and it did...

GAME OF THRONES - or as I think of it, Tolkien Light...
    Dim?! There are a couple of books and six massive films that take a week to watch.

If you ask me, the franchise has been a success.

Now, let's move on...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Amazon Plans A “Lord of the Rings” TV Series

amazon-plans-a-lord-of-the-rings-series-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Television and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien are in talks with Amazon Studios to develop a TV series based on the author’s “The Lord of the Rings” novels. Sources for Variety suggest that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is personally involved in the negotiations, which are still in very early stages.

Warners and the Tolkien estate have reportedly been shopping this new series adaptation idea for a while now with Amazon emerging as the frontrunner in a competitive fight for the rights. The potential deal comes at a complicated time for Amazon which in the past month has cleared out the executive ranks of its TV division including three senior personnel.

However it also fits in with the division’s new mandate to move away from niche and grounded series into large-scale genre programming with broad international appeal. At the same time, Warners and the Tolkien estate settled a massive lawsuit in July and now seem to be willing collaborators again.

5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

This is your fault, Ant-Mac! :emoji_cold_sweat:

I have noticed repeatedly that, whenever you talk sense, Hollywood goes and does the opposite!

The co-incidence factor is beyond the pale now! :emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Doctor Omega, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

Yes. I think it's time for Ant-Mac to start demanding reboots/reimaginings of all classic movies and TV shows. That should put a complete stop to all this madness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

It would be my wish to end the films, yes.
    If they could make a - shall we say, cohesive - mini-series based upon the Simarillion or some of his other works, then I would be all for it.

I think my issue is that, outside of die-hard Tolkien enthusiasts, I can't see much of an audience for any of that. The LOTR series did well, because it was time to bring back the fantasy genre. And honestly, The Hobbit did not need to be split into three movies. While I could watch the LOTR films anytime, the Hobbit movies make me sleepy. Lots of good stuff, to be sure, but it could have been trimmed. A lot. Right now, I think there's no call for more, but I could be wrong.

The gauntlet has now been thrown, Herr @ant-mac.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

How did you know I have German blood in me?

Answer me!

So... You vish to test yourself? Huh?

Very well... I have vays of making you talk.

Don't say you vere not varned...

• Like Like x 2
  9. chainsaw_metal1

Sie haben wunderbare nordische Eigenschaften. Außerdem hast du Saurkraut auf deinem Schuh.
    Ich werde das Schnitzel und eine Bestellung von Bratkartoffeln haben.

Ich würde auch Nacktfotos von Bea Arthur mögen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Das ist nicht Sauerkraut auf meinem Schuh. Never Kick jemanden in den Hintern, wenn Sie stehen auf einem FKK-Strand.

Möchtest du etwas Sauerkraut mit deinem Schnitzel und Pommes frites? Ich bekam einige vor kurzem, während ich am Strand war.

Haben Sie gesehen, die nackt Fotos von Bea Arthur in Sauerkraut abgedeckt? Wenigstens denke ich, es ist Sauerkraut ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. chainsaw_metal1

Ich traf einmal einen gefundenen Bilndmann an einem FKK-Strand. Wie? Oh, es war nicht schwer ...

Die Aussicht auf Bea Arthur und Sauerkraut fasziniert mich. Vielleicht fügen Sie einen Klecks deutschen Senfs hinzu, und das könnte durchaus der Abend sein.

Apropos, ich könnte wirklich für ein chinesisches Essen und etwas Spam gehen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

"Don't wait for the translation! Answer me now!"

Christopher-Plummer-Undiscovered-Country-General-Chang-6.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Son Resigns From Estate

j-r-r-tolkiens-son-resigns-from-estate-696x464.jpg

Despite their critical and commercial success, one man was not happy with filmmaker Peter Jackson and his cinematic take on J.R.R. Tolkien “The Lord of the Rings” – the author’s son Christopher Tolkien.

The younger Tolkien was an outspoken critic of of the adaptations and, as the director of his father’s estate and a fierce protector of it, was a big reason why further stories set in Middle-Earth haven’t been brought to the screen.

Now though, at 93, Christopher Tolkien has resigned as director of the estate following the publication of Beren and Luthien which he calls his “last book in the long series of editions of [his] father’s writings.”

With his departure, which actually took place in August but is only now being made public, it likely means more movies, shows and other adaptations set in that legendary fantasy world may happen. This partly explains the recent announcement of Amazon’s $250 million multi-season deal to make a “Lord of the Rings” prequel series.

Tolkien’s daughter, Priscilla Tolkien, and various grandchildren are still members of the estate and seem decidedly more open to making movie and television deals. This may also mean works previously off limits, like “The Silmarillion,” could be optioned for television.