News Tarantino TREK MOVIE?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - GR' started by Doctor Omega, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Tarantino, Abrams Team For New “Star Trek”

tarantino-abrams-team-for-new-star-trek-696x464.jpg

Quentin Tarantino is busy getting his 1969 set, partly Manson family inspired ninth directorial effort ready at Sony Pictures, but in the immediate future he’s also taking on an unexpected side project – “Star Trek”.

Deadline reports that Tarantino has come up with an idea for a “Star Trek” film that, after sharing his idea with JJ Abrams, is leading to the assembly of a writers room of scribes at Paramount Pictures who’ll hear Tarantino’s take and begin to put together a movie. If it works out, Tarantino might direct and Abrams would produce the film.

Tarantino has previously spoken about a desire to do a James Bond film, but the franchise holders haven’t been so keen on the idea. “Star Trek” on the other hand has more flexibility – the films aren’t as sacrosanct as the various series and could give a boost to the franchise which creatively stumbled with “Star Trek Into Darkness” and financially stumbled with “Star Trek Beyond”.

Tarantino has expressed enthusiasm about the idea of expanding key franchise episodes to feature length such as “City on the Edge of Forever” from the original series, and “Yesterday’s Enterprise” from “Star Trek: The Next Generation”.

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Tarantino’s “Star Trek” To Be R-Rated

tarantinos-star-trek-to-be-r-rated-696x464.jpg

Expect the new “Star Trek” to boast more profanity.

In a follow-up article to news earlier this week that Quentin Tarantino and J.J. Abrams are teaming up for a new “Star Trek” film, Deadline brings word that the film will be rated R.

Tarantino hatched the story idea for the film and the trade says a big sticking point is that in order for Tarantino to get involved, the film has to be R-rated and Paramount has reportedly agreed to those terms. Tarantino reportedly wants to direct, but hasn’t committed just yet.

Additionally the list of screenwriters gathered together by Abrams for their ‘writer’s room’ on the project includes Mark L. Smith (“The Revenant”), Lindsey Beer (“Chaos Walking”) and Drew Pearce (“Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation”).

Smith is reportedly the frontrunner at present and would be the first person to co-write a screenplay for a potential Tarantino-directed film since Roger Avary co-wrote “Pulp Fiction”.

Also uncertain? The cast. It’s currently not known if the film will involve the current cast or be a completely new take – one in the original timeline, the Kelvin timeline of the Abrams films, or another one. It also could be set at any point in Trek history – pre-Kirk, post Kirk, pre-Picard, TNG/DS9-era or after the Dominion War.

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I cannot muster any interest in this latest wacky redefining of what ST is all about. :emoji_disappointed:

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Stewart Open To Picard Return For Tarantino

stewart-open-to-picard-return-for-tarantino-696x464.jpg

Patrick Stewart has revealed he would ’embrace’ the opportunity to reprise his iconic role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard should Quentino Tarantino’s newly revealed “Star Trek” feature require his services.

Speaking at the Dubai International Film Festival, where he received an honorary award, Stewart basically let it be known he’s down for doing it should Tarantino want him:

“People are always saying to me, ‘Will you be Jean-Luc Picard again?’ And I cannot think that would be possible, but there are ways in which something like that might come about.

But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much, and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr Tarantino, I would embrace it.

The one thing that characterizes all of his movies is that frame by frame, it always challenges, always demands your attention, always demands a very kind of open and generous response to what he does. I also love his sense of humor as a filmmaker. So yes, he would be my first choice.”

Stewart may get his wish. The one thing that is not yet clear about Tarantino’s take is the setting and if he’ll keep the current Abrams-verse “Star Trek” going, or do something in a whole different period of the Trek timeline which could include the mid-late 24th century setting of “Star Trek: The Next Generation”.

5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Contrary to my previous stance, I just suddenly got interested!

The possibility of finally maybe not hearing that loathesome word "prequel" raises a bit of hope for me! :emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

“Revenant” Scribe Pens Tarantino’s “Star Trek”

revenant-scribe-pens-tarantinos-star-trek-696x464.jpg

Quentin Tarantino has chosen “The Revenant” scribe Mark L. Smith a the writer of the upcoming R-rated “Star Trek” movie which he is producing and potentially directing.

Tarantino created a writer’s room last month with Smith, Lindsey Beer, Drew Pearce and Megan Amram working from an idea of the “Pulp Fiction” filmmaker. Smith has been considered the frontrunner for the job and now he’s set.

J.J. Abrams will produce the film. The most recent three film entries in the series have earned between $340-460 million each worldwide.

Tarantino’s immediate next film, set around the Charles Manson murders, is at Sony Pictures and has been given an August 2019 release.

7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

An R rated Trek movie?

On reflection this could be really wrong-headed - and once again devoid of the hope and optimism for humanity that lays at the heart of Trek's (former) success.

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Tarantino's Star Trek NOT in Kelvin Timeline!!!

11. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Space - the final motherfucking frontier. These are the motherfucking voyages of the motherfucking starship Enterprise. Its five-year motherfucking mission - to explore strange new motherfucking worlds - to seek out new bros and new hos - to boldly go where no bro has gone before - and fuck all those motherfucking green hos!

• Love it! Love it! x 1