Review Teen Wolf (1985)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I don't.

Okay, I'm lying. It's great. It seems weird, because there are times when the movie can't decide if it's a comedy or horror. But somehow, it works very well.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Haven't seen it in years but I do still occasionally listen to "Win in the End" on my iPod.

Rob

Member: Rank 1
I was watching it today at work, still one of my all time favourites, although I do wonder what the pc brigade would make of the car surfing if it were released today.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000.jpg

Teen Wolf is a 1985 American fantasy-comedy film directed by Rod Daniel and written by Jeph Loeb and Matthew Weisman. The film stars Michael J. Fox as a high school student who discovers that his family has an unusual pedigree when he finds himself transforming into a werewolf.

Cast
Production
Teen Wolf was one of the first scripts written by Jeph Loeb.[4] Loeb was hired to write it because the studio, after the surprising success of the film Valley Girl, wanted to make a comedy that would cost almost nothing (the production costs amounted to about $1 million) and take very little time to film. The project came together when Michael J. Fox accepted the lead role and his Family Ties co-star Meredith Baxter-Birney became pregnant, which created a delay in the show's filming that allowed Fox time to complete filming and then return to his TV show.[5]

The beaver mascot logo used in the film was the Oregon State University Beavers's logo, in use by the university at that time.[6]

Critical response

Despite its commercial success, the film's critical reception was at best mixed.[10] Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 47% of 19 critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 4.8 out of 10.[11] On Metacritic, the film has a 25 out of 100 rating based on 5 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".

Vincent Canby of The New York Times gave the film a negative review calling it "aggressively boring". He went on to say that "the film is overacted by everybody except Mr. Fox, who is seen to far better advantage in Back to the Future."

Legacy

Sequels

Main articles: Teen Wolf (1986 TV series) and Teen Wolf Too
The film was followed by a cartoon spin-off in 1986, and a sequel in 1987 titled Teen Wolf Too, with Jason Bateman starring as Todd Howard, Scott's cousin. A second sequel starring Alyssa Milano was planned, but never filmed.[16] Another female version of Teen Wolf was in the works that later developed into 1989's Teen Witch.

Television adaptation

Main article: Teen Wolf (2011 TV series)

In June 2009, MTV announced that they would be adapting Teen Wolf into a television series "with a greater emphasis on romance, horror and werewolf mythology". It was created by Jeff Davis.[17] Australian director Russell Mulcahy (Highlander) directed the pilot (and several succeeding episodes) of the television series.[18] The first episode for the new MTV series aired on June 5, 2011. It ended on September 24, 2017.[19]

See also

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
At first, I avoided the TV series. When I first saw commercials for it, my initial thought was "Shit, they Twilighted it!" Then my wife started watching it on Amazon when it was a couple of seasons in, and I caught a little bit, and was immediately hooked. I still haven't seen the last two seasons, but the show is incredible.