Review Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Cameron Talks “Terminator 6” As It Sets A Date

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media have announced that the James Cameron-produced, Tim Miller-directed new “Terminator” feature will score a release on July 26th 2019.

A writers room for the film is currently assembled with David Goyer, Charles Eglee, Josh Friedman and Justin Rhodes and producer David Ellison, as well as Cameron who gave a lengthy interview with THR today about the franchise. Joined by the new film’s director Tim Miller, the pair discussed how the new entry will differ from the other recent sequels.

Cameron confirms that 71-year-old Arnold Schwarzenegger’s age isn’t an issue as, because he’s a cyborg, he will have aged after being in action and operation for a long time. Miller goes on to elaborate how this take will differ from the older Terminator we saw in ‘Genisys’:

“Because he’s been in all the other movies – unlike Linda – I do think there needs to be a reason to be different here. I like my sci-fi grounded. I like my characters grounded. And what Jim said about the exterior aging while the interior remains the same – well, not the interior, as in the brain, as emotionally and intellectually he will have evolved. They’re learning machines.

But that’s a way to make it different than it was. Even in ‘Genisys,’ he looked – I should stop – he was a slightly gussied-up version of the old Terminator. I think we should embrace his age, and that’s what’s going to make it interesting and fresh for the fans.”

Cameron was asked about what a “Terminator” in 2017 will look like and confirms the new movie will ignore everything after “Terminator 2”:

“This is a continuation of the story from Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. And we’re pretending the other films were a bad dream. Or an alternate timeline, which is permissible in our multi-verse. This was really driven more by [Tim] than anybody, surprisingly, because I came in pretty agnostic about where we took it. The only thing I insisted on was that we somehow revamp it and reinvent it for the 21st century.”

He was also asked about Linda Hamilton’s return and he spoke about how uncharacteristically nervous he was asking her to get involved:

“It took me a week just to get up the nerve. No, that’s not true. Linda and I have a great relationship. We’ve stayed friends through the thick and thin of it all. And she is the mother of my eldest daughter.

So I called her up, and I said: “Look, we could rest on our laurels. It’s ours to lose, in a sense. We created this thing several decades ago. But, here’s what can be really cool. You can come back and show everybody how it’s done. Because in my mind, it hasn’t been done a whole lot since the way she did it back in ’91.”

David Ellison will produce the project.

Discuss the TERMINATOR FRANCHISE here.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-terminator-franchise.347/

“This is a continuation of the story from Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. And we’re pretending the other films were a bad dream.
Who knows which films are canon and which films are dreams in movie franchises anymore? :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
When you mess about with time you create many, many parallel realities apparently! Good to see though that it will be a direct sequel to the first two and best films in the franchise!
JB

Doctor Omega

“Terminator 6” To Simplify The Mythology

terminator-6-to-simplify-the-mythology-696x464.jpg

Dates are set with the next film in the “Terminator” franchise to kick off prodution in March ahead of a July 26th 2019 release. The film marks a return to the fold with creator/producer James Cameron heavily involved, while stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton will also return.

The Tim Miller-directed project hopes to fix a franchise that has lost its way over its last few entries. In a new interview with Business Insider, Schwarzenegger went into some detail regarding how they intend to do it:

“I think Cameron and Tim came up with a concept where they can continue on with the T-800 but make a whole new movie. What they are doing now with this one is basically to just take a few very basic characters, like Linda Hamilton’s character and my character, and dismiss everything else. Just move away from all these rules of the timeline and other characters.

I think the T-800 model is a really interesting character. He’s a machine, can be destructive, can do things human beings can’t do, but at the same time when newer technology comes along the character is suddenly vulnerable and that makes him even more interesting.”

The film is effectively ignoring everything after “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” with the focus to be put on an eighteen-something new female character – with the older returnees to help anchor it. Skydance Productions will produce the film.

Doctor Omega

Billy Ray To Polish “Terminator” Script

“Captain Phillips” and “Shattered Glass” scribe Billy Ray has been brought onboard to do a final polish on the script for the next film in the “Terminator” franchise.

James Cameron is producing and “Deadpool” helmer Tim Miller is directing the project which came out of a writer’s room that teamed scribes David Goyer, Justin Rhodes, and Josh Friedman working with a story created by Cameron, Miller, and David Ellison.

Ray will now tweak the result. Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are returning to the franchise for this entry which serves as a direct sequel to “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”.

The new “Terminator” is slated for a July 26th 2019 release.

johnnybear

But that's eighteen months or more away!!! It seems so strange to think that far ahead and wasn't The Terminator franchise due to pass over to another company if a film hadn't been made by 2019?
JB

Doctor Omega

Cameron Talks “Terminator” Return Timing

cameron-talks-terminator-return-timing-696x464.jpg

As part of a new interview with Vanity Fair filmmaker James Cameron has spoken about the next chapter in the “Terminator” franchise, a new entry he’s very much involved in as producer and consultant. It marks his first time returning to the series in any serious capacity since “Terminator 2: Judgement Day”.

Asked about coming home to the franchise he created, he says the time is now right:

“I just feel like the world we live in now is going to be very much defined by our co-evolution with our technology. While technology and innovation have this vast promise for our survival, it’s also an enormous threat, especially when it comes to strong [artificial intelligence] being coupled with weaponised robotics, and that’s all coming. It’s just a question of who gets there first, it’s gonna be the next big arms race, it’s gonna be like the next race to get the bomb.

And when you couple that with the kind of wired world that we live in, where we’ve basically given away our privacy and every single person walking around that’s got a smartphone is essentially a belled cat — a walking sensor platform that can be monitored from afar — it’s like we’re really on the cusp of an Orwellian Armageddon of inconceivable proportions. Therefore, I thought, hey, let’s make a movie about that. So it’s going to be a very cheerful and upbeat kind of film.”

He’s also fairly upfront about the franchise’s possible future: “It’s the first of three, the story is mapped out over a three-film arc, but again, if we don’t make any money there isn’t gonna be a two and a three.”

The new “Terminator” is targeting a 2019 release.

Doctor Omega

Cameron was asked about what a “Terminator” in 2017 will look like and confirms the new movie will ignore everything after “Terminator 2”:

“This is a continuation of the story from Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. And we’re pretending the other films were a bad dream.

Errmmm, well yes, okay, fine....

But some of us haven't forgotten this yet, James....

Doctor Omega

“Terminator 6” Targets A May-November Shoot

terminator-6-targets-a-may-november-shoot-696x464.jpg

It looks like the currently untitled sixth “Terminator” film is locking in filming dates.

The project is set to bring back both original stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger and involve James Cameron in a significant creative capacity for the first time since “Terminator 2: Judgement Day”. Cameron, however, won’t direct. That job is going to “Deadpool” helmer Tim Miller who co-created the story with Cameron.

Today, TerminatorFans has uncovered a casting notice and Omega Underground has added to the report with both outlets indicating the project will begin shooting in May, and not March as previously rumored. Filming is expected to continue through to November and will take place in the U.K., Spain, and Budapest.

The casting is for the key role of Dani Ramos, a young woman in her early 20s from Mexico City and has grown up in a working-class neighborhood. More street-smart than book smart, the character will serve as the main human lead character who could carry the franchise from here on out.

Like this year’s “Halloween,” it’s expected this entry will ignore the events of the previous three sequels – serving instead as a follow-up to T2.

johnnybear

What about the young guy who played John Connor in Terminator 2, Ed Furlong? I know he played himself as a fool somewhere but surely he was a part of that film and should be invited to return for the sake of returning to the original two films continuity?
JB

Doctor Omega

He is making films again....

Personal life

In 1991, when Furlong was 13, his 26-year-old tutor Jacqueline Louise Domac began a romantic and sexual relationship with him on the set of Terminator 2 that lasted throughout Furlong's teen years, including cohabitating in what Domac called a "quasi-spousal relationship." When California's statutory rape law changed in 1994 to allow the prosecution of adult women who have sex with minors, Furlong's guardian Sean Furlong filed a complaint against Domac, but was unsuccessful in having her prosecuted. In May 1999, Domac sued Furlong for violence.

Furlong married Rachael Bella on April 19, 2006. The couple's son was born in September 2006.[11] On July 8, 2009, Rachael Bella filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. She alleged in court documents that their son tested positive for cocaine, which led a judge to rule Furlong's visits had to be supervised.

Substance abuse and legal problems

Furlong has battled alcoholism and drug addiction, which derailed his career. He went into rehab in October 2000.

Furlong said in December 2006 that from 22 to 26 he was "on and off" hard drugs, adding that, "I was a heroin and cocaine addict. It was really scary." In the same interview, he said, "I don't even think about (partying) anymore. It seems lonely now: running and clubbing and doing coke. I have nightmares about doing hard drugs. I'll wake up and I'm like, 'Did I relapse?'"

In 2010, Furlong was placed on three years' probation for violation of a civil protective order obtained by Rachael Kneeland. In March 2013 Furlong was sentenced to 180 days in jail for a violation of probation after he "used force" against ex-girlfriend Monica Keena, and for violation of a protective order prohibiting contact with Keena.

Furlong was arrested again in May 2013 and avoided a jail sentence after agreeing to go to rehab for drug addiction for 90 days, and to undergo 52 weeks of domestic violence counselling. He had already served 61 days in jail.

Doctor Omega

Such a shame.

Having said that, one never seems to see his replacement in T3 much either.....

Wonder what happened to him?

Doctor Omega

MV5BMTI1OTAyMTU4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg2NDI2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Nicolas Kent Stahl (born December 5, 1979)[1] is an American actor known for The Man Without a Face, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Carnivàle. Starting out as a child actor, he gained recognition for his performance in the 1993 film The Man Without a Face co-starring Mel Gibson and then embarked on a successful career.

He later transitioned into his adult career with roles in the film The Thin Red Line, In the Bedroom, Bully, Sin City, the HBO series Carnivàle, and the film Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, in the role of John Connor with Arnold Schwarzenegger. More recently, he also starred in the films Mirrors 2, Afghan Luke, and Away from Here.

"Terminator 3" star Nick Stahl -- who's struggled with drugs, alcohol and other personal issues -- says he's finally focused on turning his life around ... telling TMZ, "Everything's getting good."

Personal life

Stahl married actress Rose Murphy in June 2009, but separated in 2012. The couple has a daughter, Marlo.

By his own admission, Stahl has struggled with drugs and alcohol. After their separation and Rose Stahl’s filing for custody of their child, he had several public incidents. On May 14, 2012, his estranged wife filed a police report on his disappearance; five days later he was found and he entered into rehabilitation. He was arrested on December 27, 2012 in a Los Angeles adult movie store and charged with a misdemeanor for lewd conduct while watching a movie in a private booth. On June 28, 2013 Stahl was taken into custody for alleged substance abuse after being found in a Hollywood motel with three other people.

In a 2017 interview at the Dallas Comic Show, Stahl stated he had moved to Texas and was taking a leave of absence from acting to concentrate on family and sobriety, but planned to return to performing at a later time.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

More unfortunate JC's....

MV5BMTQyMDY0MjUzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU0MTc2Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Thomas Alexander Dekker (born December 28, 1987) is an American film, television actor, musician and voice actor. He is also a singer and has written and produced two albums.

He is best known for his roles as John Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Adam Conant on The Secret Circle, and Zach on Heroes. Dekker did the voice of Littlefoot in The Land Before Time V-IX (singing voice in The Land Before Time V) and as Fievel Mousekewitz in An American Tail: The Treasure of Manhattan Island and An American Tail: The Mystery of the Night Monster. He is known for playing Jesse Braun in the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Smith in Gregg Araki's film Kaboom. Dekker starred as Gregory Valentine in the TV show Backstrom.

Personal life:

Dekker has stated that for much of his childhood, he was a victim of sexual molestation. In his teenage years, he was part of a "metalhead" subculture, where he "caused trouble in Las Vegas", and was arrested "five or six times".

Dekker was involved in an auto accident on October 15, 2009, when he hit a 17-year-old cyclist training for a race on a freeway onramp. Originally charged with two counts of felony DUI, the charge was reduced to one count of misdemeanor reckless driving when it was found that the cyclist was at fault. He pleaded no contest, and was sentenced to a fine of $300 and two years of informal probation, and ordered to attend a 12-hour alcohol-education class