Review Terra Nova (2011)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMjIxNTQ4OTQ2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA3OTQzNg@@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

Centers on the Shannons, an ordinary family from 2149 when the planet is dying who are transported back 85 million years to prehistoric Earth where they join Terra Nova, a colony of humans with a second chance to build a civilization.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

It wasn't perfect, but it had an intriguing premise and was, I feel, just starting to get bolder and find it's feet when it was cancelled.

It never helps when they leave unresolved questions hanging.

I recall that there was talk of a comic book continuation of the story, but don't think anything came of this.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Apparently the woman who came up with the concept made an absolute fortune from that alone.

Sometimes, I wonder what the hell these TV people are doing.

It was terrible.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Apparently the woman who came up with the concept made an absolute fortune from that alone.

Sometimes, I wonder what the hell these TV people are doing.

It was terrible.
I can't state enough how much I agree with your comment. The show was an absolute atrocity, not because of the premise, which was actually very good, but because it's execution, it was so bloody trivial. They made look horrible a world that seemed to be super interesting. You can't just make that many mistakes and pretend nothing happened. Good riddance. I followed the story up until it's last episode, wanting to get better and never getting anywhere.

johnnybear

I've bought this for my son at Christmas! He loves his Dinosaurs and I remember watching this show a few years back on Pick and while it wasn't a classic I wouldn't say it was that bad either!
JB

Doctor Omega

About halfway through now. It's actually an okay series and I am yet to get bored with it. I suspect that it has it's closet devotees, even as a one season, open ended wonder.

Gavin

VIP
I remember enjoying this despite it's faults. It had a great premise and some talented actors. I suspect that if it had been allowed to continue it may have developed out of its flaws into something great, but we'll never know. Let's be honest, in this era of television, Star Trek: The Next Generation would never have made it past the first season.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
It was legit bad television but I enjoyed it despite the faults. Probably because I'm a sucker for dinosaurs. I drove my family crazy pointing out every plot hole, inconsistency, and dumb thing. I like Stephen Lang who plays the same character over and over and I like Jason O'Mara.

johnnybear

I remember enjoying this despite it's faults. It had a great premise and some talented actors. I suspect that if it had been allowed to continue it may have developed out of its flaws into something great, but we'll never know. Let's be honest, in this era of television, Star Trek: The Next Generation would never have made it past the first season.
Well lets hope that Star Trek:Discovery fails through it's early episodes of season two and gets the chop because that show stinks and I don't get how it was renewed in the first place?
JB

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think that if it did not have the Star Trek name dishonestly slapped onto it, it would not have been renewed at all i.m.o.

I also suspect that the Emperor's lack of clothes, in terms of actually being a crap series will become even more apparent next season and I don't foresee a third term for this grim show, with it's awful view of how humanity it going to turn out.

johnnybear

As a long term fan of Star Trek I don't understand the followers of Discovery! The reveal of an unknown war between the UFP and The Klingons and then the actual design and costume of said aliens is at odds with what we all know about them, yet the current fans of the show will argue, insult and discredit you for defending the old stuff while disliking their abomination of the series!
Why couldn't they have set their show in another universe as in the films or in the far future long after Voyager for instance, then we couldn't argue with them over the series but I doubt we'd actually like it even then!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Everyone I've interacted with that likes Discovery seems to follow the same basic pattern. "I never really liked Star Trek but I like the new show". Which, as I try to point out, suggests that the new show isn't really Star Trek. It's a familiar name for a brand new audience that would never have watched the original series. And as far as people who don't like Star Trek go, that seems to include the studio executives. I suspect that, if it wasn't for the studio "understanding" that only franchises sell and original ideas don't, they would never have bothered to make this part of Star Trek in the first place.