Review The Ambassadors of Death (1970)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I have tried watching this one several times now, but my mind always wanders during it.

I like it as a story, from what I can comprehend of the story, but I just can't seem to engage with the thing properly.

Either the story is at fault or I am - but it just does not really grip me. :emoji_confused:

Pertwee's harder edge: "Alright, cut it open!" etc. perhaps does not help matters and I prefer his portrayal in the next season onward.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
We love Classic Who because it allows a story to breathe, to develop, each one a mini series of sorts . The problem here is that the story is very thin. Astronauts captured by Aliens used as bargaining chips for ambassadors held captive by right wing trigger happy army idiot in cahoots with gang of criminals. Four parts OK, but not seven. Too much padding. The fun thing is that in the near future Britain will have it's own space program run by about five people taking orders from the army. Yeah right!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yeah, I think that sums it up very nicely re: the problems with this, Michael.

An edited down version would probably work much better.

At least Barry Letts admitted that he was taught (and benefited from) a harsh and valuable lesson about letting Directors throw away the season's budget on a helicopter etc., when a producer is not paying attention! :emoji_alien:

Last edited: