Review The Avengers (1961)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
maxresdefault.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must mention this terrific show, one of my top five shows. Liked all the "eras" of the 60's series and didn't mind The New Avengers either ,it wasn't as good but it was faithful to the original concept.
Favourite episodes per era
Cathy Gale White Dwarf
. The Charmers
B and W Emma Peel
. The Hour That Never Was
. The House That Jack Built
Colour Emma Peel
. The Winged Avenger
Superlative Seven
Return Of The Cybernauts
Tara King
Take Me To Your Leader
Pandora
Look ( stop me if you've heard this one ) But there were these two fellers
NEW AVENGERS
Cat Among The Pigeons
The Tale Of The Big Why
Gnaws

Last edited by a moderator:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I loved the TV series THE AVENGERS and THE NEW AVENGERS.

I still have fond memories of Purdey from my childhood. As I got older, I came across the older TV series and enjoyed that just as much.

If you put Patrick Macnee, Roger Moore and Jon Pertwee together in the same room, you'd probably have the three most stylish men from that era together in one place. There would be very few who could compete with them.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
The Avengers became a must see show when Diana Rigg became Emma Peel! The show was just a weekly spy drama until she came onboard but when she did it gave the show a mystical charm of an England that has never existed or ever will! The New Avengers tried to recapture that spirit but somehow ended up nearer to the spy drama of the week than the classic version!
JB

johnnybear

That would be great but only the deep in the seat fans will lay out for one show and a few extras surely unless there is a lot more in the package?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
https://ianhendry.com/the-avengers-...e-dvd-release-date-set-for-15th-january-2018/

Studio Canal Update – Thursday 19th October 2017: I’ve been in touch with Studio Canal today and now have contact with the team working on the release. They’ve advised me that the 15th January 2018 is currently a placeholder date and it may be delayed slightly – but the good news is that it is definitely going to be happen!

Their current thinking is that it will almost certainly be a standalone release and won’t include any of the other series 1 episodes. This would seem to make sense for the simple reason that Studio Canal will have calculated that they will generate more sales/ revenue that way. The alternative would be to try and make everyone repurchase the Series 1/ Series 2 box set again – which, let’s face it, is a much harder sell.In terms of extras, they are currently reviewing possible material, including the Leonard White Telesnaps [which were included previously in the Series 1/ 2 boxset] and the Soho photoshoot with Ingrid Hafner together with Ian Hendry and Patrick Macnee in those iconic Macs! All copyright issues will obviously need looking into by them as well.

They have also asked me to send them any other suggestions of material for their consideration. I’ll gather some ideas/ material together to send them. Please feel free to share any ideas with me that you may have as well. I can then forward them onto the team. Here’s to making this the very best release possible!

You can contact me via:

Contact – Ian Hendry Tribute Website

This is all the information that I have to date and any release may, of course, be delayed further. To date, only a select few have been able to see this episode, at the Kaleidoscope Missing Believed Wiped event in Birmingham in October 2016 and at the BFI London event in November 2016.

But the above news and Studio Canal entry is certainly encouraging and it looks as though the wait for the legions of fans of The Avengers may well soon be over.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Shane Black Pens 60s “Avengers” Reboot

shane-black-pens-60s-avengers-reboot-696x464.jpg

Reuniting on this year’s “The Predator,” writer/director Shane Black and his longtime writing partner Fred Dekker are coming together again for a relaunch of another franchise – a TV pilot based on the iconic 1960s British TV series “The Avengers” reports Dark Side Magazine (via ScreenRant).

Black and Dekker previously penned “Edge,” a pilot for a western that didn’t go to series at Amazon. Nevertheless, the streaming giant wanted them to have another go at something else and Dekker confirms this is what they came up with:

“It’s ‘The Avengers,’ with John Steed and Emma Peel. We’re setting it in Britain in the 60’s, and our approach is ‘The Ipcress File’ meets ‘Doctor Who.’ At this moment, it’s my favorite thing we’re working on.”

The British espionage series ran on ITV from 1961 to 1969 and was known for both surreal elements and cheeky humor. The story revolved around John Steed (Patrick Macnee), a secret agent working for a secret branch of British intelligence with numerous partners including Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) and Tara King (Linda Thorson).

However the most memorable was Emma Peel (Diana Rigg), a scientist and spy who is also a martial arts master who frequently rescued Steed. Warners released a film adaptation of the property twenty years ago (see the trailer below) starring Ralph Fiennes as Steed, Thurman as Peel and Sean Connery as the villain. The film was famously gutted at the studio and is considered a massive bomb.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Shane Black Pens 60s “Avengers” Reboot

View attachment 5636

Reuniting on this year’s “The Predator,” writer/director Shane Black and his longtime writing partner Fred Dekker are coming together again for a relaunch of another franchise – a TV pilot based on the iconic 1960s British TV series “The Avengers” reports Dark Side Magazine (via ScreenRant).

Black and Dekker previously penned “Edge,” a pilot for a western that didn’t go to series at Amazon. Nevertheless, the streaming giant wanted them to have another go at something else and Dekker confirms this is what they came up with:

“It’s ‘The Avengers,’ with John Steed and Emma Peel. We’re setting it in Britain in the 60’s, and our approach is ‘The Ipcress File’ meets ‘Doctor Who.’ At this moment, it’s my favorite thing we’re working on.”

The British espionage series ran on ITV from 1961 to 1969 and was known for both surreal elements and cheeky humor. The story revolved around John Steed (Patrick Macnee), a secret agent working for a secret branch of British intelligence with numerous partners including Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) and Tara King (Linda Thorson).

However the most memorable was Emma Peel (Diana Rigg), a scientist and spy who is also a martial arts master who frequently rescued Steed. Warners released a film adaptation of the property twenty years ago (see the trailer below) starring Ralph Fiennes as Steed, Thurman as Peel and Sean Connery as the villain. The film was famously gutted at the studio and is considered a massive bomb.

Yet another franchise I'm very fond of.

Yet another franchise I think they should leave well enough alone... :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

johnnybear

My wife made me get rid of the DVD of that 1998 film version years back and when I saw it going cheap on a market a while back she stopped me getting it back too!
JB

johnnybear

My wife was a big fan of the series, not so much the Hendry or Blackman years or even The New Avengers as such but she couldn't stand the movie! Uma was okay as Mrs.Peel but Fiennes was definitely miscast as Steed!
JB

ant-mac

My wife was a big fan of the series, not so much the Hendry or Blackman years or even The New Avengers as such but she couldn't stand the movie! Uma was okay as Mrs.Peel but Fiennes was definitely miscast as Steed!
JB
Man appeal, M appeal, Emma Peel and Steed are on late-night - or early morning - TV regularly...

I also loved THE NEW AVENGERS as a kid.

Purdy... :emoji_heart_eyes:

I've still got a thing for Joanna Lumley even now.

johnnybear

I would have preferred Lumley with her longer hair as they originally envisaged her from photos I've seen! I like my women with shoulder length hair! :emoji_yum:
JB

johnnybear

The Avengers episode Tunnel of Fear is going to be release in early April I've discovered. Trouble is Amazon are listing it at £17.99 while HMV are doing it for £9.99! Can't see that that is right though? Has anyone got any other information on this release?
JB

johnnybear

Might as well get this from HMV in town rather than from Amazon who charge you extra for delivery if under £20! They said that once they had the monopoly things would change!
JB