News The Batman (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Affleck & “The Batman” Rumors Are ‘Off Again’

affleck-the-batman-rumors-are-off-again-696x464.jpg

Rumors of Ben Affleck’s involvement, or lack of it in Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” have gone past the point of an unhealthy relationship and are now at masochistic levels.

Buried in the Heat Vision take on today’s story of Leonardo DiCaprio being wanted for the standalone The Joker film at Warner Bros. Pictures comes a comment which says Affleck will not star in “The Batman” after all.

This comes after Reeves himself confirmed last week the movie is very much a part of the DCEU leading to questions of if this is true, then will the role simply be recast, will a different character take on the mantle, or will it tell a prequel-esque story focusing on a younger Batman.

The other comment in the report that’s drawing attention is comments from ‘insiders’ which say that “Suicide Squad” actor Jared Leto was caught off guard by the plans for a standalone Joker film and is said to have made his displeasure known to his agents.

For now it seems, like the DCEU’s future at this time, everything is in flux and there’s little concrete fact out there at this time.

Doctor Omega

Brief “Batman,” “Avengers,” “Star Wars” Talk

brief-batman-avengers-star-wars-talk-696x464.jpg

A couple of brief updates on a few major blockbusters. This week Jake Gyllenhaal was out giving interviews as the new face of Cartier luxury watches. He was asked straight up by CNA Lifestyle if he’s playing the next Bruce Wayne/Batman, as it has been rumored he could replace Ben Affleck in Matt Reeves solo “The Batman” film.

Gyllenhaal responded with a definitive: “Wow, that’s a very difficult question. The answer to that question is ‘no’.” At last report Reeves is still writing the script for the project so it’s unclear how far off it is.

Doctor Omega

Penguin Rumored For “The Batman” Villain

penguin-rumored-as-dceus-next-big-bad-696x464.jpg

When Ben Affleck stepped back from directing the in development “The Batman” film, his plan to use Deathstroke (Joe Manganiello) as the villain seemed to fall by the wayside too. That was because filmmaker Matt Reeves (“Dawn of the Planet of the Apes”) had signed onto the project and was planning to start the script from scratch.

At present it seems unlikely Affleck is sticking around for this, and it’s unclear if this will be a part of the DECU or not (it is said to be standalone). Now a report by Variety’s Justin Kroll has revealed that Oswald Cobblepot, aka The Penguin, is being considered as the lead villain role in either or both Reeves’ “The Batman” and the Harley Quinn spin-off “Birds of Prey.”

Reeves is maintaining a low profile, keeping silent about plot and character details of his project, but Kroll says:

“Take this with a grain of salt as things are constantly changing in the DCEU but I’m hearing the Penguin is possibly the choice to play the main villain in THE BATMAN. Sources add even if Reeves decide to go another route the studio could then make him the main villain in BOP. Reeves is still working on the script, so that could always change but of the multiple BIRDS OF PREY scripts submitted, one does have the Penguin as the main heavy. Either way, it seems WB wants this character cast in the universe sooner rather then later.”

This suggests Reeves isn’t very along with his script. Josh Gad is still heavily rumored to take on the role which hasn’t been on the big screen since 1992’s “Batman Returns,” though has been a major regular on FOX’s “Gotham”. “The Batman” still does not have a release date.

Doctor Omega

Affleck Out Of “Batman”?

A report on THR about the recent departures of Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns from Warners’ DC division touches upon Affleck’s reprising his Batman role from the likes of “Batman v Superman” and “Justice League”.

The report claims that film director Matt Reeves turned in the first act of a new screenplay during the Memorial Day weekend. That script is said to focus on a young caped crusader and reboots Batman as a ‘standalone franchise’. The studio would not comment, but it seems increasingly unlikely Affleck is coming back to the role.

Doctor Omega

“Joker,” “Flash” & More DC Film News

For now there’s only three DC films on the schedule – “Aquaman” for Dec 2018, “Shazam” for early 2019, and “Wonder Woman 1984” which just began filming this week. Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” is also in development with the first draft of the script is now with the studio.

Also in development is the Joaquin Phoenix-led The Joker film which is expected to launch a new sub-label under the DC Films division, possibly labelled DC Black, and is said to be sporting a 1980s gangster tone and an economical $55 million budget.

Then there’s “The Flash” movie starring Ezra Miller which will now be a much lighter and more fun affair. John Francis Daly and Jonathan Goldstein helm the film which will begin production in early 2019 and will likely be the next DCEU film to go into production.

Doctor Omega

Ben Affleck Heading Into Extended Rehab

ben-affleck-heading-into-extended-rehab-696x464.jpg

Ben Affleck has reportedly checked into a live-in rehab facility where he will spend an “extended period of time” receiving treatment for alcohol addiction reports TMZ.

His ex-wife Jennifer Garner reportedly encouraged the actor to enter a treatment facility and Affleck needed little convincing as sources for the tabloid claim he knew he needed help. Affleck has been in ongoing treatment and attending meetings for alcohol addiction, this marking his third time in rehab.

It’s unclear if this latest setback will have any impact on his role or involvement Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” film which he’s slated to produce. Affleck has played Batman for the past few years and Reeves has not addressed the rumors of Affleck’s exit from the upcoming project which is targeting a shoot in early-mid 2019.

Doctor Omega

Kit Harington Rumored For “The Batman”?

kit-harington-rumored-for-the-batman-696x464.jpg

Speculation has long run that Matt Reeves’ still in development “The Batman” will recast the role with current big screen Ben Affleck departing. Affleck’s recent visit to rehab, and the likely insurance premium hike that comes with that, makes his return even less likely.

So far Jake Gyllenhaal and Jack Huston’s names have been rumored as his potential successor, and now one more is alleged to be in the mix – “Game of Thrones” star Kit Harington. With the HBO series having wrapped production, Harington is now free to move onto other projects full time (and cut his hair).

Revenge of the Fans, the outlet which helped break the story on the extensive “Justice League” reshoots, reports today that in June this year Warner Bros. Pictures created a digital mock-up of Harington in costume as Batman (NOT pictured above) suggesting they were considering the actor. It’s unclear if anything came from that development, but it would confirm other reports that the film will potentially go younger than expected with a Batman in his late twenties/early 30s – Harington is 31 while Huston is 35 and Gyllenhaal 37.

They’re also seemingly aiming for average height between 5’8-6 foot as opposed to the larger 6’2 Affleck. Harington himself has previously said he’d love to portray Batman, but would like it to be a bit more ‘silly’ than the “dark and serious” Batman we’ve seen in recent years. The report says Harington was one of two actors that the studio wanted mock-ups made of, the other they don’t name but is said to be “far closer to the Affleck mold than any of these other names” and they believe that person could be the front runner.

Harington and superhero talk is also making headlines today at the Toronto International Film Festival. Promoting his role in Xavier Dolan’s “The Death and Life of John F. Donovan” alongside Dolan himself and actress Thandie Newton in a Varietyinterview, talk turned towards the treatment of masculinity and homosexuality in Hollywood and specifically in superhero films. Harington says:

“There’s a big problem with masculinity and homosexuality that they can’t somehow go hand in hand. That we can’t have someone in a Marvel movie who’s gay in real life and plays some superhero. I mean, when is that going to happen?”

Dolan added that even when gay actors are hired on higher-profile films, the casting is often criticized for actors being either ‘too gay’ or ‘not gay enough’. Their complaint is somewhat valid – the Disney Marvel Studios films have yet to have a gay character on screen, and none of its lead stars are LGBT. Out LGBT actors like Ian McKellen, Ellen Page, Alan Cumming and Tessa Thompson, however, have had major supporting roles in Marvel films.

“The Batman” is expected to begin filming in 2019.

Doctor Omega

Jon Hamm Open To Being “The Batman”

jon-hamm-open-to-being-the-batman-696x464.jpg

Whenever there’s discussion about who should play Batman, one name that pops up fairly regularly on contender lists is former “Mad Men” star Jon Hamm. Hamm has the physique, looks, age, sophistication and action chops to pull off an older Batman.

With Ben Affleck’s return to the role likely off the table at this point, reports of new contenders to take on the role in Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” have begun popping up. Hamm’s name has risen once again only this time it’s the actor himself churning the rumor mill, telling In-Depth with Graham Besinger that he’s more than willing to play the character if he likes the script:

“I have had rumors about that since probably season one of Mad Men. I have never had a conversation with anyone about it, literally. And I’ve sat in the room with all these guys. I have never been offered anything. I think the Internet wants what it wants.

It depends on the script, what the story is. I am a huge comic book fan, always have been. I have read comic books since I was nine or younger. And I am pretty knowledgeable about a lot of them. And I like the genre, and I like when they are done well.

It all comes down to the story. I’d probably fit the [Bat]suit. I’d have to work out a lot, which I don’t love. But, I am sure there is an interesting version of that being out there. And if they wanted to tap me on the shoulder and ask me to do it: why not? But, I mean, a lot of people have to sign off on that, obviously not just the Internet.”

In the same interview, he cited both “Black Panther” and FX’s “Legion” as being among his favorite works in the genre recently.

Doctor Omega

“The Batman” Targets November Start?

the-batman-targets-november-start-696x464.jpg

A few months since the last real update on the project, THR reports that Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” project is roughly targeting a November start of shooting.

That’s a little later than a Summer star as has previously been suggested. The trade reports that Reeves’ script is all but finished, though expect a bit of tweaking in the months ahead. Should the date be met, it would suggest either a Christmas 2020 or Summer 2021 release.

Reeves, who helmed the last two highly acclaimed “Planet of the Apes” films, is set to write and direct the film which Reeves confirmed is neither an origin story or an adaptation of Frank Miller’s “Year One” comic. Rumors are the script calls for a younger actor, but that’s not confirmed.

DC Comics adaptation-wise, “Shazam!” and “Joker” are set for release this year and will be followed by both “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn)” and “Wonder Woman 1984” in 2020.

Doctor Omega

Affleck Out As “Batman” Sets June 2021 Date

affleck-still-wants-to-direct-a-batman-film-696x464.jpg

The Matt Reeves-directed “The Batman” is the most high profile announcement today with a June 25th 2021 release being earmarked. In addition, Warners has finally confirmed Ben Affleck will NOT be returning to play the Caped Crusader.

Doctor Omega

Variety reports that Matt Reeves is looking for a big name actor to play Bruce Wayne/Batman in his film and is said to be looking at a very specific age range for what will be a younger version of the billionaire vigilante.

Who that might be isn’t clear, but bookies (via CBM) have Armie Hammer and Jake Gyllenhaal as the favorites to take over with odds at 7/2 and 11/2 respectively. Both actors have been linked to the role in the past with Hammer actually cast at one point.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Between the two, I'd pick Hammer. I like Jake, but I just don't see him as Bruce. Hammer, however, I think could pull off both the billionaire playboy and the vigilante.

Doctor Omega

“The Batman” Script Length & Casting Talk

the-batman-script-length-casting-news-696x464.jpg

Months of radio silence on Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” film was broken last week as the filmmaker discussed the project’s noir detective-centric tone, while the studio lined up a Summer 2021 release date, and Ben Affleck officially bowed out as the Caped Crusader.

Now Heat Vision has a follow-up report offering a couple of additional details. First up, the initial script for the film reportedly clocked in at a thick 160 pages, though that’s expected to be cut down as revisions on the film take place (a standard script is around 100-120 pages). They also discuss the recasting of the role:

“In terms of who will play the next Batman, a lot of mixed messages of how old the actor will be going around town. Some have said Reeves had wanted a younger person in their 20s, others have said the studio would prefer an older actor in their 30s. Let the guessing games begin… Hearing studio wants a familiar face and Reeves has his certain age in mind and that age is very specific like I said two names within 7 years of each other – the response: ‘too young, too old.'”

Reeves said earlier this week that the casting process will begin shortly. Additionally, the “Batman Beyond” rumor which sprang up earlier this week has been shot down by multiple sources at Warners reports Umberto Gonzalez.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
the filmmaker discussed the project’s noir detective-centric tone
FInally! Some of the best Batman stories in the comics were those that played out as a detective story, and remembered that Bats is, in fact, the world's greatest detective. The movies have eschewed that and gone straight for the action side of the character, which is impressive, but ignores the more cerebral part of the hero.