Review The Cancelled MOVIE GRAVEYARD!

Discussion in 'Film: General' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 17, 2017.

1. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

I hated that show. One thing that made the original comic strip and eventual serials work was that they were cut off from Earth, having taken a rocket across the stars. I understand that the rocket aspect was passe, and that utilizing the teleports, or whatever they were, was more feasible, but it sucked.

Plus, when you go back and read those old strips (I reviewed a collection of them for the website I used to write for), you realize that they are products of their time. Even by the time the feature film came out, it was dated, but the movie is so much fun, you don't care.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

The “Maniac Cop” Remake Falls Apart?

the-maniac-cop-remake-falls-apart-696x464.jpg

The proposed remake of genre great Larry Cohen’s “Maniac Cop” appears to be dead.

The original film followed a former highly decorated cop who was framed by his department and eventually murdered in prison. His hatred makes him come back to life, where he stalks New York and murders both guilty and innocent alike.

“Drive” director Nicolas Winding Refn has spent years trying to get a remake off the ground and it was confirmed in March the project had received a greenlight from a script by Ed Brubaker.

That’s not the case anymore Cohen tells Birth.Movies.Death, saying the project isn’t moving ahead after all – and he’s not unhappy about it:

“As far as I know, that’s not happening anymore, and if it is, they might be trying to keep it a secret, as they’d owe me $250,000. Ed Brubaker wrote the script, and I’ve read the script, and it’s not very good. Ed Brubaker is a very good writer of comic books, I think. But if he’s written a good script for a movie, I haven’t read it.

I wrote six new scenes for the picture, based on what I’d read. And, had I written the whole script, the movie would probably be happening, as the script would be good. I wrote three films for Bill Lustig, though they changed a lot of [Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence] and Bill got fired from it…and I would’ve written the fourth movie, had they asked. But they didn’t, and now it’s not getting made.”

Cohen also spoke a bit about the new take’s plot, comparing it to Neil Jordan’s 1986 film “Mona Lisa”. Cohen is currently busying prepping a ten-episode anthology series to be produced by J.J. Abrams.

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

The Third “Sex and the City” Film Is Dead

the-third-sex-and-the-city-film-is-dead-696x464.jpg

They managed to score six seasons and two films out of it, but the sun has officially set on the “Sex and the City” franchise with the show’s lead star Sarah Jessica Parker saying plans for a third film are officially dead.

Many of the cast had previously expressed their interest in returning to their iconic roles first played in the HBO series, but speaking with Extra this week Parker is quite clear – it’s over:

“It’s over. We’re not doing it. … I’m disappointed. We had this beautiful, funny, heartbreaking, joyful, very relatable script and story. It’s not just disappointing that we don’t get to tell the story and have that experience, but more so for that audience that has been so vocal in wanting another movie.”

Parker currently stars in HBO’s “Divorce”. The “Sex and the City” franchise made headlines in Australia last year when former co-star Kristin Davis, in the country to promote her role as a UNHCR ambassador, was infamously ambushed by breakfast program “Sunrise” with an incredibly dated and cringeworthy sketch that was seen as a national embarrassment.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chainsaw_metal1

This would almost make me believe in a higher power. Then I remember that there were already two of them made. I'm ever so thankful I have one of those rare wives who didn't watch that show. I watched half of an episode, and I don't think I ever regained the brain cells lost.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Lucy 2” Script Done, But Not Besson’s Next

lucy-2-script-done-but-not-bessons-next-696x464.jpg

EuropaCorp CEO Marc Shmuger has confirmed that filmmaker Luc Besson has completed the script for the sequel to the 2014 sci-fi action thriller “Lucy” starring Scarlett Johansson.

Johansson starred in the original as a student abducted by thugs who turn her into a drug mule for a package with a powerful chemical, but it leaks into her system and gives her superhuman abilities.

Morgan Freeman, Min-sik Choi, Amr Waked, Pilou Asbaek and Analeigh Tipton co-starred in the film which pulled in an impressive $463.3 million worldwide from a $40 million budget.

Besson, coming off the failure of the “Valerian” film which made $235 million worldwide from a $209 million budget, is eyeing another female-driven project to direct before he tackles “Lucy 2”.

7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I wonder if this one will ever get made, or is destined for the movie graveyard of unmade projects? :emoji_confused:

8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Luc Besson Denies He’s Doing “Lucy 2”

luc-besson-denies-hes-doing-lucy-2-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Luc Besson has not only denied that a sequel to 2014’s “Lucy” is in active development, he’s also slamming the journalists who originally covered the story.

The story hit last week in which EuropaCorp CEO Marc Shmuger confirmed at a shareholders meeting that they were actively working on the sequel and Besson had already turned in a script for the second chapter.

Now the “Leon” and “The Fifth Element” director, coming off the disappointing results for “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets,” has denied the report in an Instagram posting and has slammed the media for spreading it:

“No I do not prepare Lucy 2. Neither yesterday nor tomorrow. Yet this fake news has been around the world thanks to you [journalists] …. You will say to me: ‘it is not very serious’. It is true, you are right … but it is false and normally this word should not be part of your vocabulary, because if we can no longer you believe, how do we hold a democracy? Our freedom depends on your integrity.”

The criticism comes despite his own studio head making the announcement. The first film, made for only $40 million, grossed $463.4 million globally.

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Re-Writes Delay Condon’s “Bride of Frankenstein”

scribes-talk-bride-of-frankenstein-van-helsing-696x464.jpg

Days after director Bill Condon revealed the upcoming remake of “Bride of Frankenstein” was targeting a February production start, the project has now been delayed.

Deadline reports that Universal Pictures has hit pause on pre-production on the project so that screenwriter David Koepp can perform rewrites on the script. In a statement about this second film in their ‘Dark Universe’ initiative, they say:

“After thoughtful consideration, Universal Pictures and director Bill Condon have decided to postpone Bride of Frankenstein. None of us want to move too quickly to meet a release date when we know this special movie needs more time to come together. Bill is a director whose enormous talent has been proven time and again, and we all look forward to continuing to work on this film together.”

Universal also confirmed that the film will not make its previously-set February 14th 2019 release date, with an untitled Blumhouse horror film to be slotted in there instead.

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Gal Gadot Up For “Bride of Frankenstein”?

gal-gadot-up-for-bride-of-frankenstein-696x464.jpg

Earlier this week came word that Universal Pictures had effectively pushed pause on the Bill Condon-directed remake of 1935 horror classic “Bride of Frankenstein” so that David Koepp can do further script re-writes.

Pre-production had gotten underway in London for a February 1st production start, but the crew has been told to go home for now. Now it has also been confirmed the movie has been pulled from its February 14th 2019 release date, with a new one not yet scheduled.

The bigger question though is who will star? At last report, Angelina Jolie and Javier Bardem are being sought for the lead roles and all indications are the actors aren’t walking away from the film – but they aren’t committing either until the new script comes in.

The Wrap now adds that if Jolie falls through, and with her commitment to “Maleficent 2” filming early next year she might, Condon has set his sights on “Wonder Woman” actress Gal Gadot as a potential backup choice.

For now, much of the decisions depend upon scheduling which won’t be locked down for some time yet.

11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Disney Scraps Its Animated “Gigantic”

disney-scraps-its-animated-gigantic-696x464.jpg

Disney Pictures’ “Gigantic,” a planned animated film based on the Jack and the Beanstalk fable, has been scrapped. The film was originally set to be released in 2018, then moved to 2020.

Set in Spain during the Age of Exploration, the film was to follow adventure-seeker Jack as he discovers a world of giants hidden within the clouds. He hatches a grand plan with a 60-foot-tall, 11-year-old girl, and agrees to help her find her way home.

Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios president Ed Catmull gave a statement about the project’s collapse:

“It’s impossible to know when we begin a project how the creative process will unfold, and sometimes, no matter how much we love an idea or how much heart goes into it, we find that it just isn’t working. With Gigantic, we’ve come to that point, and although it’s a difficult decision, we are ending active development for now. We are focusing our energies on another project that has been in the works, which we’ll be sharing more about soon, now set for Thanksgiving 2020.”

“Inside Out” co-writer Meg LeFauve and Nathan Greno penned the film while “Frozen” songwriting team Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Bobby Lopez were also on board.

12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

CancelledPostponed.jpg

13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Not much of a Universe, was it....? :emoji_confused:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

They tried to run before they could walk, announcing all of these DARK UNIVERSE monster titles.

Titles that are now flung to this thread of cancellation and development hell....

And this would seem to be the end - sort of.

Universal seem to be gluttons for punishment and will, I am sure, be back for more probable failure.

I think, if they simply MUST remake these things, they need to be done with a genuine love of the originals and not with an arrogant attitude of trying to "improve" them in some way. Handing over control to a bankable "star" hasn't helped matters with the Mummy either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

The really frustrating thing is that the original movies really lend themselves to a quality retelling/reimagining and would be a natural fit for a shared universe. The fact that Universal have managed to stuff up something that should be fairly simple is very disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. chainsaw_metal1

As someone who is in the minority, I'm rather glad. Maybe I would have felt different about this film if I had seen it in IMAX 3D, but while visually stunning, the story was derivative and, quite frankly, terrible. Four more movies would have felt excessive.

• Agree Agree x 1