Review The Conners (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
aeEF.jpg

Your thoughts on this show......

Follow-up to the comedy series 'Roseanne', centering on the family members of the matriarch after her sudden death.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Roseanne” Spin-Off Talk Gains Steam

roseanne-spin-off-talk-gains-steam-696x464.jpg

Talk of “Roseanne” continuing but without co-creator and star Roseanne Barr is gaining steam with Deadline reporting that the show’s producers will be meeting with Disney-ABC executives on Monday to pitch a revamped “Roseanne” without the actress.

The show is expected to stay true to the praised first season of the revival, featuring the other cast members except for Barr, and likely a stronger emphasis on Sara Gilbert’s character Darlene.

Executive producers Tom Werner and Gilbert were the main driving force behind the revival and are believed to be spearheading the efforts to continue the show and keep the writers and crew employed post-cancellation.

There are still hurdles though. Carsey-Werner owns and produces the series but legal and rights issues need to be settled with Barr who was co-creator and executive producer on the series and has ownership/backend. Barr may mount a legal challenge if a “Roseanne” spinoff without her goes forward.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
“Roseanne” Spin-Off Talk Gains Steam

View attachment 9074

Talk of “Roseanne” continuing but without co-creator and star Roseanne Barr is gaining steam with Deadline reporting that the show’s producers will be meeting with Disney-ABC executives on Monday to pitch a revamped “Roseanne” without the actress.

The show is expected to stay true to the praised first season of the revival, featuring the other cast members except for Barr, and likely a stronger emphasis on Sara Gilbert’s character Darlene.

Executive producers Tom Werner and Gilbert were the main driving force behind the revival and are believed to be spearheading the efforts to continue the show and keep the writers and crew employed post-cancellation.

There are still hurdles though. Carsey-Werner owns and produces the series but legal and rights issues need to be settled with Barr who was co-creator and executive producer on the series and has ownership/backend. Barr may mount a legal challenge if a “Roseanne” spinoff without her goes forward.
I saw this idea coming from a mile off...

So, what will it be called? AFTER ROSEANNE or ROSEANNE'S FAMILY?

Doctor Omega

Now that you mention it, I wonder if the canny studio had this in mind before they even took the cancellation step, but wanted, at the time, to be seen to be doing a bold and noble thing.

In retrospect, I doubt, in reality, that the tv suits would really write off a potential fortune without a plan B in place all along of trying to keep the cash cow going somehow.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Now that you mention it, I wonder if the canny studio had this in mind before they even took the cancellation step, but wanted, at the time, to be seen to be doing a bold and noble thing.

In retrospect, I doubt, in reality, that the tv suits would really write off a potential fortune without a plan B in place all along of trying to keep the cash cow going somehow.
In other words, they want to keep the best of what ROSEANNE can offer - advertising and audience - while ditching the worst of what ROSEANNE can offer - Roseanne Barr.

Perhaps they had this plan in mind even while the first season of the return was airing. After all, anyone who knows Roseanne knew it was only a matter of time. So let her return and get things up and running and then...

On the other hand, this is starting to sound just as crazy as several of Roseanne's own conspiracy theory beliefs. :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

Roseanne Killed Off For “The Conners”

roseanne-killed-off-for-the-conners-696x464.jpg

It looks as if the character of Roseanne Conner is going to be killed off screen before the start of events in the upcoming “Roseanne” spin-off sitcom “The Conners” on ABC.

Actor John Goodman, who is starring in “The Conners,” spoke with The Times this week and was asked about his character Dan Conner’s state of mind in the new series to which replied: “It’s an unknown. I guess he’ll be mopey and sad because his wife’s dead.”

This follows on from an official synopsis for the new series which only indicated the reason for Roseanne’s absence was due to “a sudden turn of events”.

Star Roseanne Barr was fired from the revival of “Roseanne” earlier this year after she made a racist statement on Twitter, which led to the series immediately being cancelled despite being a huge ratings success for ABC.

In the same interview this week, Goodman spoke about the abrupt cancellation of the revival, saying: “I was surprised. I’ll put it this way, I was surprised at the response. And that’s probably all I should say about it…I know, I know, for a fact that she’s not a racist.”

“The Conners” premieres on ABC on October 16th.

Doctor Omega

ABC has released the first official photo from “The Conners,” the spinoff to its revived-then-canceled comedy hit “Roseanne,” which began production today on the Warner Brothers lot. The new Roseanne Barr-less series is set to premiere October 16th.

Series regulars John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman and Lecy Goranson are seen alongside kids Jayden Rey, Ames McNamara and Emma Kenney in the show with said kids now upped to series regulars.

The network hasn’t revealed how Roseanne’s absence will be dealt with, beyond a “sudden turn of events,” though earlier this week co-star Goodman suggested her character would be dead. The new show has the Conners facing the daily struggles of working-class American life in Lanford in a way they never have before.

first-photo-abcs-the-conners-series-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

Roseanne Barr Staying Away From “Conners”

first-photo-abcs-the-conners-series-696x464.jpg

Actress/comedian Roseanne Barr has appeared on Rabbi Shumley Boteach’s podcast (via Deadline) this week to offer her take on ABC’s upcoming “Roseanne” spin-off series “The Conners”.

The network famously fired Barr and scrapped the top-rating revival season of the sitcom following a racist joke tweet by its titular star. Rather than leaving the cast and crew in the lurch, the network has retooled the series into a spin-off following the rest of the family carrying on in the wake of what’s believed to be the death of the Roseanne Conner character.

Barr says she isn’t planning on watching, but will rather take a vacation to Israel and will not ‘curse it or bless’ the new show. Her plan, for now, is to not pay attention to it:

“I’m staying away from it. Not wishing bad on anyone and I don’t wish good for my enemies. That’s what I gotta do… I have some mental health issues of depression and stuff. I got to stay in the middle or I’ll go dark and I don’t want to go dark again. I’ve done it – after all, I was married to Tom Arnold. Ha! Ha!”

She also revealed that she’s already working on a new sitcom which she says is “very funny” but did not elaborate on the project. “The Conners” is slated to premiere on the network on October 16th.

Doctor Omega

How Roseanne Will Exit “The Conners”?

how-roseanne-will-exit-the-conners-696x464.jpg

It has been heavily suggested, now it’s looking pretty certain that the character of Roseanne Conner is going to be killed off screen before the start of events in the upcoming “Roseanne” spin-off sitcom “The Conners” on ABC.

Roseanne Barr was fired from the revival of “Roseanne” earlier this year after she made a racist statement on Twitter, which led to the series immediately being cancelled despite being a huge ratings success for ABC. The network then greenlit the spin-off which doesn’t include Barr.

Speaking on the conservative podcast Walk Away, Barr herself indicates “The Conners” will build off a suggested subplot in the “Roseanne” revival and have her die of an opioid overdose. Barr says: “I wanted to show [addiction] in the [revival] show. But I was never going to have Roseanne die of an opioid overdose. It’s so cynical and horrible. She should have died as a hero or not at all.”

The revival featured the Roseanne Conner character taking pain meds due to knee issues in the first season of the revival, but an actual acute addition wasn’t shown. ABC still hasn’t officially announced how Roseanne’s absence from “The Conners” will be explained. We’ll likely find out when the spin-off premieres October 16th.

Doctor Omega

Galecki, Lewis Set For ABC’s “The Conners”

galecki-lewis-set-for-abcs-the-conners-696x464.jpg

Johnny Galecki and Juliette Lewis are set to join ABC’s new “Roseanne” spinoff “The Conners” which has received a ten-episode order with plans for a Fall 2018 release.

Galecki will be reprising his role of David, while Lewis will be a newcomer in the role of his girlfriend Blue. Her character was mentioned by David, but never seen, during the “Roseanne” revival earlier this year.

How many episodes each will appear in is unclear, especially with Galecki’s commitments to the final season of CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory”. The pair previously played brother and sister in 1989’s “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”.

John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman co-star in the series which will premiere on ABC on October 16th.

Doctor Omega

The Conners
Justin Long has scored the recurring role as Neil, a love interest for Darlene (Sara Gilbert) in ABC’s upcoming “Roseanne” spinoff “The Conners” which premieres October 16th.

Long will join previously announced Johnny Galecki who will reprise his role as Darlene’s ex-husband David and Juliette Lewis who will play Blue, David’s girlfriend who was referenced last season on the revival.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Joe Rogan - Roseanne on The Conners

Always the fucking victim. Just go back to obscurity, Roseanne.

For the record, Mrs. Chainsaw and I have been watching The Conners, and loving it. It's not the sitcom that Roseanne was at the very beginning, but hell, after season 3 or 4, neither was Roseanne. Ms. Barr needs to give up on trying to defend her actions, and accept that she was wrong. It's the grown up thing to do!!! I am getting sick of seeing her every couple of weeks on another platform trying to play the victim card, I am sick of people giving her a platform, and I am sick of seeing the apologists out there going on about how she's a victim to "PC thinking" and whatever else the brainless, unwashed masses are using as their buzzword of the week.

Doctor Omega

ABC’s “Roseanne” revival spin-off “The Conners” has been officially renewed for a second season. Despite the controversy surrounding the spinoff, it remains the network’s highest-rated new show with roughly 9.5 million viewers per episode.