Review The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
14394142340_368172cfc2_b.jpg

Your thoughts and views on this story......

And the legacy of Susan Foreman?

Ian and Barbara believe the TARDIS has finally returned to their contemporary London, but soon discover signs of plague and warfare. Their old enemies, the Daleks, have invaded the Earth of the 22nd century. Separated and fighting for their lives, the travelers must try to aid the remaining humans and overthrow the Daleks' cruel tyranny. (Originally broadcast in six parts.)

Which, of course, formed the basis of this movie.....

On to the next story....

THE RESCUE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-rescue-1965.3331/

Back to the previous story....

PLANET OF GIANTS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/planet-of-giants-1964.3296/

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The Doctor's speech was affecting, but it would have been better if Susan had decided to stay by herself. This way it seems like the Doctor abandoned her.

As for her legacy - the character wasn't well served. No wonder Carole Ann Ford left.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The Doctor's speech was affecting, but it would have been better if Susan had decided to stay by herself. This way it seems like the Doctor abandoned her.
I can see that argument. Personally, I always thought of it as him giving her the push she needed to move on with her own life. She seemed to have felt it her duty to look after her grandfather, and he her. It felt cathartic, both of them realizing that they each needed to be able to go on and not have to worry about the other. I think that he may have felt that this would give her the chance to settle down and not be on the run all the time, and actually have a chance at a real life.

Either way, that speech always makes me tear up.
As for her legacy - the character wasn't well served. No wonder Carole Ann Ford left.
Agreed. They could have done so much more with her character, and what started out as an interesting, otherworldly young lady, quickly became little more than the screaming damsel in distress.

Doctor Omega

I think that The Five Doctors dropped the ball with her character....

Nobody's fault, as it was an anniversary romp with an ever-changing cast.

1812796-susan_and_the_doctor_2.jpg

But was there any point, in retrospect, to this?

susan-the-pilot-series-10.jpg

Beyond getting fans pointlessly excited about a teased possible return that wasn't actually happening? :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I actually saw the Peter Cushing movie version of this before I saw the original and then I read the novelisation. So when I finally saw the original it was a bit weird. But overall one of the best dalek stories ever.

Doctor Omega

Yes, I was really disappointed with the television version in terms of it's realisation. The Slyther was an embarrassment. And the cover of the Target novelisation had referenced the movie robomen, so that didn't help matters.

Doctor Omega

I remember reading the novelisation, which contained the Slyther and it sounded truly terrifying - so I wondered why it had not been in the movie adaption, which I had already seen.

Then the tragic truth hit me when I finally saw the tv version released on vhs as a man in a funny tree shaped beanbag threatened our heroes.

But the Target Slyther remains in my memory, as does my terrifying Target Book version of the Tomb of the Cybermen... and many other stories.

But I still love the tv versions of these stories too, after that initial disappointment and would watch them over New Who anyday, budgetary limits and all! :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

ac70efd7a392bdfe7f7e14cf80b74591.jpg

CAROLE ANN FORD

“Bill Hartnell was lovely. There was a great team feeling. We were in contact with David Whitaker and Mervyn Pinfield all the time. It was a great big cumulative business – a much more chummy, family-type business than I think it is today, possibly because it’s such a big production now.

“The part I was originally offered ended up being something completely different, and if I’d known I was going to be asked to do the lady I finished up doing for a year, I wouldn’t have been quite so happy to do it. I was doing another television play, and up in the control box was not only the director of the programme I was doing but also Verity Lambert and Waris Hussein. I’ve never asked her what she was doing up there, I presume she was just a friend of the man directing it. Whether or not she said to him ‘I’m looking for someone for this part’ and he said ‘Well come and have a look at this girl’, I don’t know. Anyway, they saw I was a good screamer and offered me the part.

“It never had to be made up to time, but we certainly used to put some of our own ideas into it simply because of continuation of character. When you are doing it for a long period like that, inevitably new directors come in whoc don’t necessarily know every aspect of your character, and there are writers to come on to the programme likewise, and so you have to change things when you know your character just wouldn’t be doing this.

“The mix of stories was fantastic – the science-fiction ones were great, the historical ones were wonderful. I suppose the historicals came out slightly better. John Lucarotti was a great writer. My favourite story was ‘Planet of Giants’. The sets were superb – you almost didn’t need to act. Mind you, there were ones that I wasn’t so keen on, such as ‘The Edge of Destruction’. We went mad for two episodes, and I think that was simply because none of us knew what it was all about – we just didn’t know what we were doing. And not only because it was so quick – it was frankly so weird and whenever we asked why we were behaving in a particular way we were just told to get on with it and say the words!

“It was a tiring schedule on the show. We often recorded them as if they were live, without any breaks for nearly twenty-five minutes. The air conditioning wasn’t very good in the studios and we really sweated our heads off and the TARDIS console would keep going wrong because of the heat. I would have been happy to have left earlier.

“We all had a great deal of fun doing ‘The Five Doctors’. Richard Hurndall was marvellous, spooky actually. He hasn’t recreated him – he hasn’t tried to do another William Hartnell and yet somehow or other he looks so much like him. I suppose that’s John Nathan-Turner’s doing, actually – casting him, knowing the sort of performance he’d give. John is lovely – everybody gets on well with him”.

Doctor Omega

From the Daily Mail: 1965

Shorty after 5.40 this evening a week of almost unbearable tension will come to an end.

At that time, the BBC adventure serial ‘Doctor Who’ comes on the air. And as some ten million viewers can tell you, the dreaded Daleks are back and about to reveal their future plans.

At the end of last week’s episode, a single specimen of this radioactive race of what appear to be malevolent pepper-pots rose from the Thames and waved its antenna at the terror-stricken audience. Then the credit titles rolled.

At once a howl of anguish went up all over Britain and the BBC switchboard was jammed with 400 calls. Angry viewers protested that the Dalek’s appearance was far too brief: that children who had waited months for another sign of the monsters were weeping and refusing to go to bed.

And not only children, for ‘Doctor Who’s massive audience includes millions of adults.

The operation of the Daleks – they were killed off earlier this year but brought back by public demand – is conducted by a remarkably attractive young woman called Verity Lambert who, at 28, is not only the youngest but the only female drama producer in BBC TV.

She arrived at the Corporation via Roedean, the Sorbonne University and a spell in New York as personal assistant to David Susskind, the producer and commentator who is one of the top figures in American TV.

‘Doctor Who’ was her first producing assignment a year ago, and with this background she has insisted on a high standard of professionalism for the serial.

“I have strong views on the level of intelligence we should be aiming at,” she told me briskly. “‘Doctor Who’ goes out at a time when there is a large child audience but it is intended more as a story for the whole family.

“And anyway children today are very sophisticated and I don’t allow scripts which seem to talk down to them.”

Nine well-established script-writers have contributed to ‘Doctor Who’ in the past twelve months and they are closely briefed on the requirements of the Doctor and his invaluable machine.

Story editor Dennis Spooner, who has written many episodes himself, told me “writers have to be divided into those who can cope with trips back into the past and those who can write adventures set in the future. Very few can do both.

“The futuristic stories ought to be easier because the scope is endless but we have to set some limits to remain mildly plausible and we have found that many writers are completely lost with science fiction.”

While the programme is running – and it has had only one six-week spell off the air – the cast start rehearsing each week’s episode every Monday morning in an outside rehearsal room and remain hard at it until the following Friday.

On Friday mornings they move into the studios at the Television Centre or the BBC’s riverside studios at Hammersmith and from 10.30am rehearse with cameras and the full, impressive range of props that appear in ‘Doctor Who’.

From 8.30 in the evening the programme is recorded and the cast are permitted the weekend off before starting all over again on the following Monday morning.

Pre-recording has allowed the regulars in the series a five-week holiday which is just ending.

When they return on Monday – with the exception of Carole Ann Ford, whose place in the team is being taken by a newcomer called Maureen O’Brien – they will start working non-stop for 26 weeks on programmes that will be shown in the New Year.

These ugly anti-social fugitives from an overgrown cruet may well have met their match in Miss Lambert.

Tall, dark and shapely, she became positively forbidding when I suggested that the Daleks might one day take over ‘Doctor Who’.

“I feel in no way obligated to bring them back for a third time even if this present story is a tremendous success,” she said with a noticeable chill.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
While I will admit that it's fun seeing these videos from conventions, at the same point in time, it kind of irks me that fans will bring in speeches for other Doctors to read. Yeah, it's cool seeing McCoy reading the Pandorica speech, but that wasn't their Doctor. I would rather ask a question of an actor about their experience, and not take up the Q&A time having them read something that was meant for another actor.

Still, hearing Hurt read that was pretty cool.