Review The Dark Tower (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
‘The Dark Tower’ Reviews: What the Critics Are Saying

the-dark-tower3.jpg

Reviews for “The Dark Tower” were unleashed on the world late Wednesday night and, in general, the critics were not pleased.

The adaptation of what is considered by many to be Stephen King’s magnum opus made it to the big screen after a production process plagued with creative differences, test screenings gone awry, and reshoots. But, nevertheless, it will arrive in theaters this weekend.

Directed by Nikolaj Arcel, the movie stars Idris Elba as a heroic gunslinger, Matthew McConaughey as the villainous Man in Black, and Tom Taylor as a young boy caught in the middle of a potentially world-ending battle.

Variety‘s Owen Gleiberman penned one of the kinder reviews of the movie, calling it a “a slice of lean-and-mean metaphysical action pulp.” Other critics were not so enthusiastic, earning the flick a current 16% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here’s what the critics are saying:

Variety‘s Owen Gleiberman:

“A few of the concepts drifting through the film suggest how far ahead of the curve King was, a few play as flagrantly derivative, but when you watch ‘The Dark Tower’ you may not bother to separate the Kingian from the Jungian from the ready-made-for-DVR-ian. It all fuses into a glittering trash pile of déjà vu action pulp.”

IndieWire’s Kate Erbland:

“King’s Dark Tower universe is rich with cultural reference points and is always totally unpredictable, but in cutting it down to consolidate its highlights, ‘The Dark Tower’ can’t even shoot the most necessary bullets straight.”

The Guardian’s Charles Bramesco:

“While sitting through this uniquely flavorless slog, a viewer jolts out of a waking sleep every five minutes or so to realize that they have not internalized a thing. Nikolaj Arcel’s efforts to translate and condense Stephen King’s long-running series of densely mythologized novels amount to being a western without the majesty of the west, a fantasy without anything even coming close to being fantastic.”

Chicago Tribune’s Michael Phillips:

“Apologies to Stephen King, author of the eight fantasy novels in the ‘Dark Tower’ realm, but you can shove that ‘Mummy’ right through the portal to Mid-World, where all the villainously bad movies go. “The Dark Tower” isn’t one of them. It belongs in Middling-World.”

Entertainment Weekly’s Darren Franich:

“[Idris Elba’s] performance stands out. The movie around him is sadly pointless, weirdly forgettable despite a slipstream story mashing fantasy and science-fiction and Brooklyn.”

Uproxx’s Mike Ryan:

“‘The Dark Tower’ is so astoundingly awful that when you leave the theater you’ll likely be less mad you wasted your time than flabbergasted that something like this could a) happen and b) be released as something that, theoretically, is going to launch a multi-platform franchise.”

Doctor Omega

“Dark Tower” TV Series Is Going Ahead

dark-tower-tv-series-is-going-ahead-696x464.jpg

Ignoring the swath of bad reviews for the film which hit last night, it has been announced today that plans for the TV adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” fantasy saga are still very much in development.

In fact, former “The Walking Dead” and “The Shield” executive producer Glen Mazzara has just come onboard to serve as showrunner for the series according to THR.

The series will adapt the fourth book in the series, “Wizard and Glass,” which was primarily a prequel novel about the origins of Roland. Idris Elba is slated to appear as Roland Deschain, aka The Gunslinger along with Dennis Haysbert as his father, Steven Deschain, and Tom Taylor as Jake Chambers.

Primarily though a younger actor will be cast in the role with Elba and Taylor’s appearances serving as the framing device for the series. Matthew McConaughey’s Man in Black character does appear across the saga with different guises so the show could well cast different actors in the part.

MRC is reportedly planning the first season to run 10-13 episodes and hopes to get a cable network partner onboard before beginning production in 2018.

Nikolaj Arcel and Anders Thomas Jensen are writing the script for the series. Akiva Goldsman, Gregory Lessans, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Jeff Pinkner are attached as executive producers.

Doctor Omega

Elba Talks The Future Of “The Dark Tower”

elba-talks-the-future-of-the-dark-tower-696x464.jpg

The critical and commercial success of the film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” this month only reinforces just how much of a dismal failure “The Dark Tower” adaptation was back in August.

King’s epic fantasy series is too big and wild to condense to a single film and so the filmmakers approached it as more of a sequel to the original works – and neither critics or audiences seemed to care.

That leaves the fate of the franchise and the planned TV series in doubt, and speaking with Mashable this week in Toronto, the film’s star Idris Elba admits he’s not sure of the status of the franchise:

“I don’t actually know, if I’m really honest. I do know about the TV series and I’m not sure where we are with that, but I couldn’t tell you what’s going to happen next. As you know the film was sort of mixed reviews, and some loved it and I think some hated it, so who knows.”

Elba says he’s not worried about the bad reviews, effectively dismissing anyone who didn’t like it, and admits adapting King’s magnum opus was always going to be a very difficult challenge:

“Ultimately, everyone has an opinion and that’s okay. But I’d imagine with a film like The Dark Tower—if you know anything about the literature—it’s a very hard book to digest, and it’s definitely a hard book to adapt. Until one of the reviewers that had something to say adapts it and does a great job, well I don’t want to hear what they have to say.”

Elba himself was one of the few elements of the film that received solid praise, and while King is a hot property again thanks to the success of “IT,” don’t expect that success to have much impact here.