The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
It was great, for me, until the "monster" came along. I liked the friends' bonding. But after that ... and frankly I'd rather be dead than live on as a slab of concrete. In my head canon the guy has gone insane and is playing with a tile with a hole in the middle. If the writer was cleverer, I'd assume that's what he meant for us to think.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Laugh. Myself. Silly. Every. Time.

A Blue Peter badge holder myself, I have HUGE respect to the lad whose monster design won the competition to be the big bad here.
Stellar cast: Peter Kay, Shirley Henderson and Marc Warren as guests stars - Hollywood should be so lucky.
L.I.N.D.A rocks!
Special mentions to Mr Warren's epic bop to ELO and to the implicit homage to Confessions of a Plumber...

A favourite transgressive episode - if yo're pissing off the purists, you must be doing something right.

Gavin

VIP
I can't say that I either love or hate it. It was a great idea to explore the lives of those affected by the Doctor and see what happens after he leaves. But it wasn't well executed unfortunately.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Your thoughts and views on this two part David Tennant story, that had previously been a novel featuring Sylvester McCoy's Doctor.....

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Great two-parter. I still haven't read the original book, but there were those on the old IMDb boards who had read it who hated the TV adaptation (even though it was adapted by the original author). They claimed things were changed for no reason, like John allowing the older boy to give Thomas a beating, and they thought it was out of character for him. I thought it was a great story, and the ending is just brilliant. I also liked seeing Harry Lloyd give a performance with emotion, since he never showed any on ROBIN HOOD.

Doctor Omega

I really like this episode.

I love the fact that, for all the monsters and aliens that he has faced, the Doctor is almost undone by a group of frightened humans that he was joking and laughing with only a short time before.

"Because I'm clever!", he is forced to admit under pressure, sealing his fate in their eyes.

Just really well done.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Funny story time. When this series came out, SyFy had just taken it off and BBC America hadn't started showing it yet, so I had to watch it online. I sat up late one night to watch this episode, and had all of the lights off. There I was, completely engrossed in the episode, and I hadn't heard my wife come downstairs. She came up right behind me and asked something, and I jumped and screamed. Yeah, not my finest moment, but proof that Moffat can tell a great story when he wants to.

I'm glad they got away from doing the Doctor-lite episodes. I know it was about budgets, and this was a creative episode, but then you have things like Love & Monsters. And, um, yup.

Gavin

VIP
I'm glad they got away from doing the Doctor-lite episodes. I know it was about budgets
I thought it was more of a timing issue. Having a Doctor-lite episode enabled them to film it consecutively with another episode. The only downside of not having these episodes anymore is that we just get one less episode per series.

chainsaw_metal1

That makes more sense. And it does allow them to be more creative. After all, we did get Midnight and Turn Left because of the practice, and I still dig those episodes. Maybe Chibnal can try his hand at it when he takes over.

Doctor Omega

Your thoughts and views on this David Tennant episode....

Plus, are you team Jacobi?

Or team Simm?

And, either way, why?

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Your thoughts and views
You know how much I enjoy your polls, Doc - but this time I'm revolting. You've tried to bamboozle us with a BOGUS POLL - there is no either/ or. I demand (pretty please) a third option - TWO brilliant Masters for the price of one stunning episode, Or I'm taking my ball home, capiche?

Gavin

VIP
I liked both but I have to admit, the few seconds we got of Jacobi as the Master were awesome. And the transformation between Professor Yana and the Master was amazing to watch. I'd have loved to have seen a full episode of Jacobi as the Master.

chainsaw_metal1

I do really love this one, however, I am willing to admit it mostly works on a nostalgia level. It's quite obvious that Peter and David have great chemistry together, and you have that wonderful speech from 10 about how 5 was his Doctor. It's so heartfelt, and honestly as much a love letter from him as it was from RTD. The bickering between the two ("..and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable") and subsequent respect for each other is wonderfully played out. And it wasn't until a couple of months ago when I was watching this one again that I actually caught the gay joke RTD had slipped in. Overall satisfying.