Review The Defenders (2017)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

I've enjoyed all of the Marvel shows on Netflix so far, with my favorite still being Daredevil. But Dayum! This looks like it might usurp that show in my eyes.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I enjoyed the first season of Daredevil, but halfway season 2 I stopped watching. It just didnt hold my attention anymore.
I really loved Jessica Jones and so far I have only watched 1 episode of Luke Cage.
But Iron Fist does look interesting.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
I enjoyed the first season of Daredevil, but halfway season 2 I stopped watching. It just didnt hold my attention anymore.
I really loved Jessica Jones and so far I have only watched 1 episode of Luke Cage.
But Iron Fist does look interesting.
I tried, but I couldn't get into Luke Cage. I plan on watching Jessica Jones for David Tennant.
I agree, Iron Fist does look interesting◆◆◆♡♡♡

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
agdgg.jpg

Set a few months after the events of the second season of Daredevil, and a month after the events of Iron Fist, the vigilantes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist team up in New York City to fight a common enemy: The Hand.

Last edited:

duzit

Just finished Jessica Jones. I enjoyed the keep you on the edge of your seat entertainment.
And I agree with Dr. O, Tennant was awesome. For some reason, I liked Luke Cage better here
than I did in his own series. I'm very interested to see what they do with season 2, as it has
been renewed. All n' All, good entertainment from the Netflix/Marvel people.◆◆◆♡♡♡:emoji_ok_hand:

chainsaw_metal1

I just finished episode 4 of IRON FIST, and it is awesome! A little on the slow side, but I expected that since we're dealing with an origin story. A reviewer I read on Yahoo made it sound like this was just horrible, which makes me wonder what show they were watching. I can't wait to see the rest, but I have to be up in five hours, so I should take a nap.

duzit

That trailer is sick! I love every second of it! This has me so excited, I don't know if I can wait the 4 months till it comes out!
I'm with you. When I heard about this on Access Hollywood tonight, as the saying goes, I was pumped. I have been following most of the characters that will be in this. @chainsaw_metal1 we'll have to past the time imagining all the trouble they can get in & out of. I'm excited:emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Gavin

VIP
I so need to catch up on my Netflix Marvel shows. I'm still working through Daredevil season 2 and haven't started on any of the others yet. I think I need to retire so I can dedicate my life to watching TV.

duzit

@Gavin
I am retired and there still is not enough time to watch everything that interests me. There are also books to read, posts to post and constantly there are items added to my to watch/read/post to do lists.
Seriously, life is to short, I'll never live long enough◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

Gavin

VIP
@duzit - when my parents retired they seemed to get busier than when they were working so I can completely understand. The challenge of this golden age of choice is that there is so much that you inevitably have to choose to not watch things that are extremely good.

chainsaw_metal1

I find it interesting that Defenders is only going to be 8 episodes. With the other series, I would have suggested that, because it feels like you get some filler when they do 12 or 13. But with more characters, I would have thought that this is a series that might have benefited from more episodes. Either way, I think it's going to be amazing.

Gavin

VIP
I find it interesting that Defenders is only going to be 8 episodes. With the other series, I would have suggested that, because it feels like you get some filler when they do 12 or 13. But with more characters, I would have thought that this is a series that might have benefited from more episodes. Either way, I think it's going to be amazing.
I suspect that the idea is to keep the story tight and focused for this joint series. And the smaller number of episodes, I assume, leaves more time for filming the ongoing individual series.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The Defenders: Sigourney Weaver’s Villain Is A ‘Renaissance Woman’

Sigourney-Weaver-in-The-Defenders.jpg

Sigourney Weaver may play a villain i The Defenders, but despite her character’s dark tendencies, she’s apparently quite cultured, too. Details about Weaver’s turn as the nefarious Alexandra have been slowly trickling out since January, but even as the release date of Marvel’s biggest TV team-up draws closer, it still remains a largely enigmatic role.

She has no history in the original comics, and showrunner Marco Ramirez has kept her narrative tightly under wraps, offering only that she’s "a very powerful force" in New York City” and “sophisticated, intellectual, [and] dangerous.” What is known is that she’s a ruthless, almighty criminal menacing enough to force Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones to work together.

But in an interview, Weaver said Alexandra is more complex than her limited description suggests. The Alien veteran noted that she’s played villains in the past, but that her parts always have something deeper to them, and the same applies to The Defenders. As she told the outlet:

“To them, it always comes out of something. They can’t see things the way the normal person sees them, they’re still trying to complete something for themselves.”

Alexandra, in particular, is set apart by her apparent love for life and art. Weaver continued:

“I do think she’s a renaissance woman. I think yes, she has to do these things but she really… she loves life, she loves culture. It’s one of the most interesting women characters I’ve ever read.”

With so little to go off of, it’s difficult to connect that to her storyline. The best analysis can be made with an interview Defenders costume designer Stephanie Maslansky gave earlier this month, in which she hinted that Alexandra may be The Hand’s leader. She explained that the character’s wardrobe had “a lot of life or lives” to it, which set off speculation that she could have been revived from the dead, since The Hand possesses the power to do so. And if you’ve led a lot of lives, it makes sense that you’d gain an appreciation for many cultures.

However, theories have also been floated around that Alexandra may turn out to be a gender-flipped version of Alexander Bont, a rival Kingpin to Wilson Fisk (Vincent D’Onofrio), who clashes with the Hand and Madame Gao. That wouldn’t jive with Alexandra’s lack of comic book ties, though that could be an intentional misdirection. Alas, it doesn’t seem like further details will be made available anytime soon, so until The Defenders lands later this summer, who Alexandra really is is anyone’s guess.