Review The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (2005)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00000000000.jpg The_Empty_Child_poster_by_Harnois75.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

When a spaceship crashes in the middle of the London Blitz the Doctor, Rose and the enigmatic Captain Jack Harkness find themselves investigating a plague of physical injuries and a little boy in a gas mask.

The gas mask zombies are on the rise as the plague spreads across war-torn London.

On to the next story....

BOOM TOWN....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/boom-town-2005.5349/

Back to the previous story....

FATHER'S DAY....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/fathers-day-2005.5347/

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Everybody lives! For once everybody lives!

Too bad from that point on, the showrunners didn’t have the cajones to kill anyone.

Doctor Omega

That they kept teasing that they would kill a regular - really, honestly, truly, we mean it this time - became very tiresome over the years.....

0000.jpg

Doctor Omega

The fans, including myself, could only see one man for the job when RTD left thanks to stories like this and were overjoyed when they got Moffat as showrunner.

If only we had known.....

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
It’s one of my favorites too.

Smith and Capaldi got robbed. They should have had good episodes like this.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Everybody lives! For once everybody lives!

Too bad from that point on, the showrunners didn’t have the cajones to kill anyone.
Mrs. Chainsaw started rewatching from the beginning, and this one was on the other day. I still love it, but yeah, when he does the "Everybody lives", I sarcastically said, "And that was when we knew Moffat was an asshole". Even then, he couldn't bring himself to actually kill anybody.

Sal from Comic Pop does weekly livestreams with Joel from caped-joel, and they did one recently about stakes in comics, and whether they actually matter. Everyone jokes about comic book deaths (They'll be back in a year, who cares?), and Moffat seems to have that same mentality. Shock the viewer for the moment, then cheapen the sacrifice by the finale. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone at the BBC had to talk him out of bringing Adric back.

Sorry, rants and tangents. Yeah, this two-part episode is just solid. Effectively creepy, humor where needed, and the introduction of Captain Jack Harkness. Also, I loved seeing Richard Wilson in there. Fantastic actor.