Review The End of the World (2005)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
This seemed impressive to me at the time of broadcast. I suspect it will be looking a bit ropey around the edges now.

Everything was still new then in 2005, with Chris and Billie still finding their feet - and the excitement of the first episode to leave the planet Earth, albeit on a space observatory.

I remember that we had already had the announcement in the tabloid press that "Doctor Who Quits!" in between Rose and this episode.

That will have dampened the enjoyment of viewing this story somewhat at the time. It was like Doctor Who was jinxed and perhaps this was a new false dawn, much like the tv movie had been.

Obviously the show survived the loss of Christopher Eccleston, but we weren't to know that for certain at the time - and that was the cloud that this episode was broadcast under.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Worse yet, by the time it premiered here in the States (at that time, SyFy was showing it, before dropping it and BBC America picking it up), and we didn't see it for several months after it originally aired. I think it wasn't too long after this aired that they announced that Tennant would be taking over.

I re-watched this one not that long ago, and for the most part, it holds up. There are moments that are, shall we say, not great. But as you said, Chris and Billie were still getting into the roles. And it is nice to see Rose before she got all obsessed with the Doctor and jealous of anyone that happened to be within 100 yards of him. But RTD should have been slapped in his face for using a Britney Spears song in a DOCTOR WHO episode.