Review The Feathered Serpent -starring Patrick Troughton-s01e06

Discussion in 'TV: Reviews' started by michaellevenson, Sep 12, 2018.

1. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 7

The events foretold in Otolomi's dream come true. Prince Heumac is denounced and a sacrificial procession leads him to the summit of the old Pyramid of the Sun, where the action reaches a climax and the knife descends. An eclipse of the sun is due and Nasca cleverly claims it is Teshcata's revenge for the people's blasphemy.
    Previous episode;
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-feathered-serpent-starring-patrick-troughton-s01e05.5449/
    onto series two
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-feathered-serpent-starring-patrick-troughton-s02e01.5451/

#1 michaellevenson, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. michaellevenson

Chimalma is dragged out of the chamber of screams and into another chamber. It is Tozo and Otolmi who have rescued her.
    Ot " I was once living in the pyramid of the sun until my god Qala and myself were sent into exile, I know hidden entrances that Nasca can't possibly know"
    Ch " forgive us Otolmi, we have deserted Qala for the false god Teshcata"
    Ot " you must return empress to the chamber of screams"
    Tz " we will give you wax to put in your ears to deaden the sound of the bats"
    Ot " in the morning you must return to Nasca, venerate him, say you were wrong, he may decide you are fit to remain empress. We will need that power if we are to succeed"
    T " Otolmi has a dream"
    Ot " yes I have dreamt all the events that have happened, but I awake just as the sun leaves us and Heumac's life is in danger"
    Ch " very well Otolmi, I'll do as you ask"
    Tozo gives Chimalma two pieces of wax.
    T " place them in your ears"
    Chimalma does this,
    T " can you hear me Empress?"
    Ch " yes"
    T " then the wax isn't in far enough"
    Chimalma gingerly goes back into the chamber.
    Ot " come Tozo we must get into the palace for the ceremony"
    Meanwhile Mahoutec is in the temple of Teshcata studying a wall when Nasca comes in.
    N " Mahoutec?"
    M." We lost the boy Tozo, my men swear that this wall moved and Tozo disappeared inside it"
    N." Heumac 's secret passages, a lie Mahoutec, there are no passages"
    M." I will order my men to tear the wall down"
    N." You doubt me?"
    M." I will know the truth, that is all"
    N " very well Mahoutec, I will take you into my confidence, there is a secret entrance. Maxtala built it at Heumac's request, he used it to gain entrance and kill Kukulkan, the Toltec's were planning on entering the city using it and kill us all!"
    M " then why didn't it happen?"
    N " you stopped them Mahoutec, by destroying their army"
    M " open it"
    Nasca opens the entrance they both go into the torch lit passage.
    M " why did you deny it's existence Nasca when Kukulkan was found slain?"
    N " I only found out from Maxtala after the Emperor 's death of the existence of this "
    M " but Maxtala went missing BEFORE Kukulkan died and yet you say it was after that he told you"
    N " Mahoutec these words are beginning to sound like accusations"
    Nasca moves his ringed hand to Mahoutec's face, Mahoutec pushes him away.
    M " you dare try to scratch me Nasca with your ring. Why? What poison have you on it, lets see what a scratch does to you priest"
    They struggle,
    N " Shadak come"
    Shadak appears,
    N " Mahoutec knows the truth"
    Shadak plunges a dagger into Mahoutec, who dies instantly.
    N " a pity he was so inflexible. We must concoct a story for his sudden disappearance"
    Mahoutec, ultimately a tragic figure, led astray by Nasca and killed when learnt the truth.
    [​IMG]

#2 michaellevenson, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. michaellevenson

Nasca to Shadak,
    N " today at a precise moment shown in charts I have studied the sun will go from the sky, for a reason I don't understand, but markings on the pyramid of the sun record how this has happened before. That is when I will kill Heumac asking for Teshcata's forgiveness, then the sun will return and the people will be thankful and bound forever to Teshcata"
    In the holding area, Heumac is dressed in robes, a skull mask placed on his face, hands tied behind his back.
    Nasca. " today we destroy Qala the feathered serpent , the false god forever. You Prince Heumac will play the part of Qala. You will be laid on the altar, your heart torn out in front of the people. I can give you a cloth to put over your mouth if you wish, it is impregnated with an aroma that will deaden the senses, so you will not struggle as we perform Teshcata's will"
    H " I need no help to die "
    N " sadly Chimalma won't be joining us, I fear the chamber of screams will claim her"
    Later Shadak collects Chimalma from the chamber, and surprised to see her well and quite sane. He tells Nasca.
    N " impossible! Unless she had help"
    In the throne room Chimalma returns to face Nasca.
    Ch " thank you Nasca you have saved me, the madness is gone, the enchantment Heumac laid on me is departed"
    N " were you alone empress in the chamber of screams"
    C " no, Teshcata my god was with me , he guided me through the ordeal"
    Nasca is suspicious but has to accept the evidence in front of him.
    N " I had a proclamation to read to the council, but you can deliver it Empress
    Later the council are gathered,
    Nasca " before the Empress Chimalma speaks I have to announce our great warrior Mahoutec left secretly this morning for Tula to make preparation for the attack on the Toltec city."
    Heumac is brought into the throne room , hands bound..Nasca gives Chimalma a scroll to read from.
    Ch (reading) " Heumac you came into our city with evil in your heart , on a mission to bring back the false god Qala..."
    N " go on Empress, or is the madness returning to you"
    Ch " I hereby sentence you to be sacrificed to Teshcata along with your followers"
    Heumac " say what is in your heart Chimalma"
    Ch " that is in my heart, take him away"
    More.

#3 michaellevenson, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. michaellevenson

On the summit of the pyramid, the people watch as the ceremony starts.
    Heumac is surrounded by attendants all in masks, two of them carry reflecting mirrors. Chimalma is there, hardly bearing to watch as Heumac is standing waiting to die.
    But one of the attendants is Tozo, hidden by the mask. As the ceremony starts Tozo with a knife cuts through the ropes binding Heumac.
    The reflecting mirrors reflect the sun down onto the crowd below.
    Nasca " my people, nothing can stand up to the power of Teshcata , not even the mighty sun that warms us. Teshcata is all powerful, he can take away the sun from us"
    An eclipse starts, a shadow falls across the sun.
    N " oh Teshcata bring the sun back to us. We beg forgiveness and offer you Qala the false god as sacrifice to you"
    Heumac is placed on the altar, Shadak stands over him holding the sacrificial blade. Suddenly Tozo leaps forward, with knife, grabs Nasca by the neck.
    T " Nasca will die if Heumac dies"
    Nasca struggles, takes impregnated cloth from robe and pushes it in Tozo's face, Tozo collapses.
    N " now Shadak"
    Shadak goes to kill Heumac, who is now free, leaps up and pushes at Shadak, the sacrificial knife falls, Heumac grabs it and kills Shadak.
    Nasca. " Teshcata will still have his victim", he attacks Heumac with knife, suddenly the sun returns, reflected off mirrors and into Nasca's eyes blinding him temporarily, but long enough to allow Heumac to thrust his knife into Nasca.
    Nasca and Shadak both lie dead across altar.
    Chimalma. " my people, the sun has returned, Qala god of peace has forgiven his children, the false god Teshcata and his priest are dead. Let the temple of Teshcata be walled up forever, let us again pray to Qala the feathered serpent and Teshcata never be mentioned again in the kingdom"
    The people cheer.
    Otolmi " it is done, the dream is over"