Review The Five Doctors (1983)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I must admit, when I first saw this story on the night of broadcast I was somewhat underwhelmed by it.

Reading all these teases of familiar names returning had been throwing petrol on the flames of my expectations, so the serviceable plot - a truly professional job of craftsmanship, written under the gun - by Terrance Dicks seemed a bit unspectacular, even at the time.

And I remember being particularly disappointed at Rassilon being depicted in the way he was.

Now, of course, I can look back at it and feel sad at so many faces that have gone to that great Tardis in the sky, so for that reason alone, this story is precious and, given the pressures of television production in those days and the scheduling headaches that had to be overcome (including Tom perhaps spitefully throwing a late in the day spanner in the works, perhaps as revenge against JNT) the fact that it exists at all is somewhat miraculous.

Respect to Richard Hurndall too, who created a First Doctor, who wasn't Hartnell in any way, but somehow worked, I am sure that he would have done HURNDALL DOCTOR Big Finish's had he lived long enough.

I never cease to be impressed by the fact that JNT directed the Rassilon Robot sequence. He is clearly one of the best directors that WHO never had. Perhaps he should have done a full story and shown the others how it should have been done? That sequence is, I think, the best thing in the show. This amazingly shot scene is always overlooked when people who worked with him are doing down JNT and his understanding of what made for good DOCTOR WHO.

So, imo, overall this tale is not brilliant, but perfectly okay for what it was.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
As a kid (I was 7 when this happened), this was one of my favorite episodes. It was like team-ups in comic books, except instead of multiple heroes, you got multiple versions of one hero, and all of the favorite companions (well, not all of them, but most). Looking back on it now, it is a weak story, and could have used better writing and maybe a longer run time, but it still holds a place in my heart, mostly for nostalgia's sake. I still wish Tom would have done it, but then, looking back at how his ego was at that point, it's probably for the best that he wasn't involved. He would have taken over the production. Nowhere near a perfect episode, but I still enjoy it for what it was.

Doctor Omega

richard-hurndall-ac1e0373-8feb-4494-b4b7-d8a3d920da2-resize-750.jpeg

RICHARD HURNDALL....

“I enjoyed (playing Nebrox in) Blake’s 7 very much. There wasn’t, as far as I know, any indication that the Seven were to meet their doom at the end of the series. Apparently Doctor Who’s producer, John Nathan-Turner, saw my likeness to William Hartnell when I played Nebrox (although my friends can’t see the likeness very much) and asked me to play it! I admired William Hartnell a great deal and I tried to play the part as he would have done. I understand that William’s widow, Heather, approved of the choice. I remembered his approach to the role very well, but decided it would be stupid to try and mimic him so I hoped I split the difference between his performance – his personality and mine, just adding a few of his more familiar mannerisms.

“I found ‘The Five Doctors’ very difficult and was glad that I knew the other Doctors – I’d first worked with Patrick Troughton in ‘Someone at the Door’, a 1949 TV comedy / thriller, and with Jon Pertwee in ‘The Final Chapter’, a comedy quiz game in 974. I think I’m a little too old to comprehend science-fiction, really. I’ve seen very few ‘Doctor Who’ episodes, but my favourite in the part is undoubtedly Patrick Troughton, who gets so much humour into it. I rather liked ‘Star Trek’, but otherwise I have left science-fiction to my grandchildren. I think ‘Doctor Who’ has lasted so long, perhaps, because it was the first of its kind.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

4d2a30698830e424dc4c3e43a3effb12.jpg

CAROL ANN FORD....

“We all had a great deal of fun doing ‘The Five Doctors’. Richard Hurndall was marvellous, spooky actually. He hasn’t recreated him – he hasn’t tried to do another William Hartnell and yet somehow or other he looks so much like him. I suppose that’s John Nathan-Turner’s doing, actually – casting him, knowing the sort of performance he’d give. John is lovely – everybody gets on well with him”.

Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega

I love this....

A mischievousTroughton getting told off by two other Doctors during filming.....

Dr Who - Pertwee and Troughton Jelly Baby

This is an out take from the film 'The 5 Doctors' where, of all things, Patrick Troughton offers Jon Pertwee a Jelly Baby... Apparently it's the official Time Lord approuved candy... even off camera.