Review The Ghosts Of Motley Hall s01e06- Double Trouble

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
An enjoyable episode with plenty of humour as the "other" Matt spreads insults around and the ghosts end up at each others throats.
Good performance from Sean Flanagan. Like the end too with the double coin pinpointing the doppelganger.
8/10

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I was enjoying this episode, but have to admit I got somewhat spooked as soon as they decided to hold a seance. Stuff like Ouija Boards scared the living daylights out of me as a kid and no amount of rationalising since about ideometer effects or whatever will make me even watch a recreation of this kind of thing... just in case there is something to it.

So, dumb as it sounds, I skipped through any scenes where attempts were being made to contact the other side, while hoping that I would still be able to grasp the plot.

So, everybody is picking on and blaming Matt for everything that is going wrong in Motley Hall and Peter Sallis has been scared out of the place when they hoped he would notice the leaking roof.

I have just paused it at the commercial break, where an evil duplicate of Matt has appeared. Obviously a mischievous spook that intends to cause disruption.

I will go and make a decaff coffee, then continue this review. Hopefully no more seance scenes to follow as I have skimmed through enough of this episode already.

Yes, very much a showcase episode for Sean Flanagan, who gets the chance to play an evil Matt and does a good job of it. You can tell he is enjoying the challenge and a chance to show his acting ability.

I am completely baffled at the conclusion though, in so far as why the evil Matt vanishes back to the Ouija realm. A line explaining it would have helped. Or maybe my skimming the seance scenes made me miss a vital bit of exposition.

The two penny revelation of the evil Matt was clever.

I laughed aloud at Fanny getting slugged across the face and knocked down by the White Lady's book.

A shame that this series never quite caught on in the public's nostalgic affections in quite the same way as RENTAGHOST, for this surely has the more thoughtful and intelligent scripting?

I agree on the scoring....

8 out of 10