Review The Goodies (1970)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Are they still funny? Were they ever? Mmm bit unfair, I've been watching them lately, some of it still creases me up in laughter.
Who can forget Kitten Kong or Eckythump.

Last edited by a moderator:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
With the exception of their final season, which I believe they made for a different TV network, I enjoyed every single episode of THE GOODIES. Even their lesser episodes always had something to offer and their classic episodes were unbeatable.

Graham was always my favourite, perhaps because he wore glasses too, or the fact that we share the same birthday, or perhaps because he was the mad scientist sort, or perhaps just because he was the funniest in my opinion...

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Just checked the DVD and Graeme and Bill wrote that series for the now defunct London Weekend Television. Perhaps working for commercial tv rather than the BBC meant they were restricted in what they could write.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I also believe there would have been the problem of copyright. As the BBC owned all of their previous output, the trio would not have been able to use any of it. They would have had to start from scratch.

They might also have had to be careful about what subjects they covered, especially if they had already covered them while working for their previous employers.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
An Audience With The Goodies

The Goodies are coming for you, and you and you...

It’s true... at long last, we’re releasing every single episode of The Goodies on DVD! Network’s Cricklewood branch is working overtime to bring you a veritable binge of Goodies, due to arrive later in the year.

If you can’t wait that long, you can come along and see them in person at a very special event where The Goodies will be reunited to talk about their career and their enduring popularity. An Audience With The Goodies is at Leicester Square Theatre on
Thursday 7th June, 7:30pm.

So take a little good advice... take a trip to paradise (well, Leicester Square).

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
81Pgw+3yxXL._SL1500_.jpg

Product Description

In 1970, The Goodies unleashed their legendary blend of surreal storylines, strikingly topical satire, slapstick and general lunacy on an unsuspecting viewing public. Capturing the irreverent and rebellious flavour of the decade, this phenomenally popular, award-winning series spread its mischief over twelve years, making household names of creators, writers and performers Bill Oddie, Graeme Garden and Tim Brooke-Taylor.

For the first time ever, Network is incredibly proud to present the complete run of episodes and specials made for the BBC (apart from that pesky original version of Kitten Kong, which is still missing) in this 12-disc set:

[] all eight BBC series
[] Kitten Kong - Montreux '72
[] A Collection of Goodies
[] Goodies Travelling Instant Five Minute Christmas
[] Superstar
[] The Goodies and the Beanstalk
[] The Goodies Rule O.K.?

From a giant white fluffy kitten called Twinkle to a slippery climb up a giant beanstalk, from the ancient Lancastrian art of 'Ecky Thump to fighting a ban on fun instigated by an all-too-real puppet government, this is television comedy at its undeniable best!

Product details