Review The Grinch (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A grumpy Grinch plots to ruin Christmas for the village of Whoville.

Last edited:

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
OMG. Please. They just need to stop this. Was the appalling Jim Carrey live-actioner not torture enough? And is there anything the Cumberbitch will not stoop to in his apparently never-ending whoring for attention these days?

The fact that they keep pushing back the release date of this turkey should give a hint as to just how much of a bomb it probably is.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
When was the last time that stopped Hollywood - or any other filmmaking industry?
Well, they did cancel any sequels to the horrid A Nightmare On Elm Street remake, so maybe every now and then, someone pulls their head out of their posterior? Maybe?
I know what you mean.

I like the idea of Benedict Cumberbatch more than the reality.
I dunno. I like him in anything I've seen him in, and he seems like a decent guy. Alas, he's enigmatically handsome, and Sherlock made him very popular, so he gets cast in everything, even if he's not right for the role *cough*Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker*cough*

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Well, they did cancel any sequels to the horrid A Nightmare On Elm Street remake, so maybe every now and then, someone pulls their head out of their posterior? Maybe?
It's a nice thought, but without further evidence, I'm afraid I'm going to find it hard to agree...
I dunno. I like him in anything I've seen him in, and he seems like a decent guy. Alas, he's enigmatically handsome, and Sherlock made him very popular, so he gets cast in everything, even if he's not right for the role *cough*Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker*cough*
I can't say I was overly impressed by his performance as Sherlock Holmes, but that wasn't necessarily his fault. In my opinion, anyone would have difficulty doing justice to whatever the hell that mess was meant to be.

If you ever get the opportunity, check out Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes in the TV programs THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1984), THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1986), THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1991) and THE MEMOIRS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1994), or Sir Ian Richardson as Doctor Joseph Bell in MURDER ROOMS: THE DARK BEGINNINGS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. Both are absolutely superb.

Meanwhile, I had some difficulty in trying to see how he could possibly have been cast as Khan Noonien Singh...
PHOTOGRAPH - Khan.jpg
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the resemblance.

chainsaw_metal1

I have seen all of Jeremy Brett's work as Holmes, and he is, to me, the quintessential Holmes. Absolutely perfect. I have not seen Murder Rooms, but I hope to remedy that. It looks really good.

I still like Sherlock. I haven't seen all of series 4 yet, but the first episode of it wasn't nearly as good as what had come before. It's infinitely better than Elementary is.

As for him as Khan...I like the rest of the film, so I don't exactly give him a pass, but he's entertaining.

Amyghost

It's a nice thought, but without further evidence, I'm afraid I'm going to find it hard to agree...
I can't say I was overly impressed by his performance as Sherlock Holmes, but that wasn't necessarily his fault. In my opinion, anyone would have difficulty doing justice to whatever the hell that mess was meant to be.

If you ever get the opportunity, check out Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes in the TV programs THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1984), THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1986), THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1991) and THE MEMOIRS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1994), or Sir Ian Richardson as Doctor Joseph Bell in MURDER ROOMS: THE DARK BEGINNINGS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. Both are absolutely superb.

Meanwhile, I had some difficulty in trying to see how he could possibly have been cast as Khan Noonien Singh...
View attachment 1948
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the resemblance.
You and I must think alike on at least several things; count me as another viewer who wasn't at all entranced by Sherlock...thought the show was a hot mess, and was not at all impressed by BC, whom I still regard as one of the most absurdly over-rated actors of the last twenty years.

Your mention of the excellent Murder Rooms caught my attention, both on its own merits as an incredibly engrossing show, and for Ian Richardson--ever catch either of his films as Holmes back in the Eighties? They were made just before the Brett series, and if it hadn't been for a conflict of rights issues with Granada, Richardson might have been the defining personfication of Holmes for that era. The downside of his two films is that they're hampered by not great supporting casts, and the bad choice to turn Watson into a buffoon, a la Nigel Bruce, but Ian himself makes a most engaging Sherlock--his performance reminds me greatly of my own personal favorite, the Russian actor Vassily Livanoff, who played Holmes in the Russian television series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the best adaptation I've seen in terms of character and overall atmosphere.

(BTW, didn't Richardson only receive a CBE in his lifetime? A grossly unjust state of affairs as far as I'm concerned. It may be one reason I'm a bit prejudiced against Cumberbatch, who breezed off with a CBE at a ridiculously young age, on a slim body of work, while Richardson only got his after decades of outstanding performances, and never was awarded the knighthood he richly deserved. He'll always be Sir Ian to me, no matter what, anyway.)

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Your mention of the excellent Murder Rooms caught my attention, both on its own merits as an incredibly engrossing show, and for Ian Richardson--ever catch either of his films as Holmes back in the Eighties?
Unfortunately not... Thankfully, there is still time to correct that mistake.
BTW, didn't Richardson only receive a CBE in his lifetime?
I believe you are correct.

I read somewhere that he was Sir Ian Richardson and unfortunately, it stuck with me. I will have to remember this fact, should I make another post about that extraordinary gentleman. However, I will leave my previous mistakes to stand as they are, because I'm only calling it as it should be... :emoji_wink:

Amyghost

Unfortunately not... Thankfully, there is still time to correct that mistake.

I believe you are correct.

I read somewhere that he was Sir Ian Richardson and unfortunately, it stuck with me. I will have to remember this fact, should I make another post about that extraordinary gentleman. However, I will leave my previous mistakes to stand as they are, because I'm only calling it as it should be... :emoji_wink:
Right on!

You'd be most welcome as a guest commentator on the thread I started on him on the Actors board. An incredibly talented and versatile man, and from what I've read, a true gentleman in real life as well. It kills me to this day that I never got to see him perform live. Had two chances, once in 1976, when he was performing the role of Henry Higgins in the B'way revival of My Fair Lady, and again in the early Eighties, when he was appearing in Edward Albee's ill-fated adaptation of Lolita (as Vladimir Nabokov!), and circumstances in both instances worked against me. If that time machine ever gets up and running, I'm first in line to get tickets for Marat/Sade on Broadway--I treasure his film performance, would give a necessary limb to have seen this on stage.

His Holmes films may not change your mind about Jeremy Brett, but they are well worth checking out despite their flaws.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
tiF3MDO.jpg

Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Director: Peter Candeland, Yarrow Cheney (debut)
Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch
Details: Despite the perfectly good animated feature and the live-action Jim Carrey vehicle, not to mention a ton of Dr. Seuss stories that have yet to be adapted, Universal Pictures have decided to do yet another take on “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” – this time as a CG animated take from “Minions” creators Illumination Entertainment.

Benedict Cumberbatch takes on the role of the green meanie who hatches a scheme to ruin Christmas when the residents of Whoville plan their annual holiday celebration. The film hit a little backlash recently with the release of a poster the other week showing a young version of the character who is adorably cute – not the Grinch that most people picture when they think of the character.

chainsaw_metal1

Dammit. I wanted to watch this and be all surly old man about it, and yet, my daughter and I laughed through it. Working with the public may have finally melted my brain.