Review The House That Dripped Blood (1971)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
q.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

An anthology of four horror stories revolving around a mysterious rental house in the U.K.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Love this one too. Jon Pertwee based his stormy, pompous actor on Christopher Lee apparently. :emoji_alien:

House-That-Dripped-Blood-5.jpg

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yeah I was a big Christopher Lee Dracula fan back in the early eighties and Pertwee's remarks about Lugosi being better than this new fella gnawed at me for years! Nowadays of course I think we all know that Christopher lee was a very pompous actor and believed his own hype!
JB

Doctor Omega

The House That Dripped Blood (1971) / Interview with one of the producer

A creepy old house in the country proves to be deadly for anyone who rents it in this enjoyable quartet of horror tales. From the British Amicus output of anthologies in the 60's-70's, "House That Dripped Blood" boasts a superb cast and an interesting set-up of a Scotland Yard investigator looking for a horror film star who disappeared after being the last to rent the house. A cop and the strange Real Estate rep who rents the house tells the investigator the stories of the people who met their doom while living there. The tales include a horror writer whose latest murderous creation seemingly comes to life, Peter Cushing discovers that a weird Museum of Horrors has a Salome exhibit that seems to be still collecting heads, Christopher Lee's angelic young daughter turns out to be a voodoo practicing witch, and in the final tongue-in-cheek (or is that TOOTH in cheek) tale, the horror film star buys a vampire's cloak that still has chilling powers. Jon Pertwee is wonderful as the actor and the bosomy Ingrid Pitt is his seductive co-star---a REAL vampire. Great supporting cast includes Nyree Dawn Porter (from BBC's "The Forsyte Saga"). Very entertaining film that uses atmosphere and good acting instead of gore to get the job done.

Doctor Omega

Yeah I was a big Christopher Lee Dracula fan back in the early eighties and Pertwee's remarks about Lugosi being better than this new fella gnawed at me for years! Nowadays of course I think we all know that Christopher lee was a very pompous actor and believed his own hype!
JB

I love the tale Lee himself, told of how Peter Cushing put him in his place once when he was on some overseas film shoot (wouldn't be surprised if it was HORROR EXPRESS) and Lee admitted he was bellowing away about how awful the accomodation, etc, etc, (basically everything involving the shoot) was when Peter quietly said "Well there's no point whinging about it old man!" and Lee instantly shut up, like a scolded dog because for the gentle Peter, this was tantamount to shouting his head off, which took Christopher Lee completely off guard - and that was the end of Lee's complaining on the shoot. :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yeah, Peter cushing was much more a happier soul prepared to put up with the faults in life while Christopher Lee, having had a more upper class upbringing, wasn't and liked to crow about things till the dawn! He used to moan about his Dracula films in public but apparently he liked and enjoyed them really when other actors spoke to him about them!
JB