Controversial The IMDF Conflict Zone!

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I could make this a long post, but frankly my boredom threshold regarding Mad Pac is quite low, so I'll make it brief.
In a private conversation MP told me he was excited at the prospect of a new intake into The Sages. That excitement presumably wore off when he realised that British shows were likely to be the diet for the foreseeable future. Not his cup of tea, fair enough. But as Co - ordinator he should have stayed with B7 and Catweazle and constructively criticized using reasoned arguments, it would have been part of the fun. He had new willing members who voted in good faith for those shows. But instead he ran away, couldn't be arsed with it, taking those he could to another board, I call that running away . First time probably, a show chosen he couldn't relate to, and I get that, but he ran away!!
Now on a broader point, the whole of IMDF is a sort of melting pot of ideas, show reviews, comments etc, so having a group within a group is probably unnecessary, so I can't see The Sages or similar being revamped, unless MP wants to try elsewhere.
Shame it didn't survive longer here, what we needed was a commited and flexible and galvanizing co-ordinator willing to grasp the nettle of shows maybe not of his liking, for the sake of the group, we didn't get it, Brimfin on the other hand gave both shows a go, reasonably enjoyed them,.....pity he wasn't in charge.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

The running away is one thing.

The unexpectedly coming back here to patronisingly troll us for the vengeful sake of it (presumably because Brimfin has quit and the PARADOX board is consequently fizzling out) is another matter.

And reflects really quite sadly on Mad-Pac.

He genuinely has my pity.
What surprised me is how quickly he gave up on both shows. He never really gave either a chance. In the past he always ,maybe grumpily stuck with it. He left B7 before even finding out who the " Seven" were, and before the antagonists entered. It's like giving up on Star Trek before the Klingons turn up. He seemed to have it in for B7 from the start. By episode 2 he was using specifications of fictitious craft from shows made decades later, to prove B7 had got it wrong about the size of the galaxy.
As for Catweazle, I wonder if a bit of jealousy is involved here.
MP is a children's author , probably crafting his work with tight plotting etc, and Carpenter 's Catweazle was incredibly popular, like his other shows, Ghosts of Motley Hall, Robin of Sherwood, Dick Turpin, but not particularly historically accurate and with a " lets entertain the kids" philosophy. Perhaps a bit of resentment there from MP. And bizarrely he kept banging on about Catweazle being portrayed as an animal, because in ONE episode only, he was on all fours looking for his toad, which at about 3 inches high, and running round the floor of a museum, on all fours is the best way of looking for it.
Anyway both boards are still ongoing, albeit slowly, so if he wants to come back and be constructive, fine. But it looks like given the choice of more Brit shows or ending the Sages , he chose the latter. Sad.

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
@Doctor Omega It's intellectually lazy to just dismiss something you don't like as something of a "troll" especially when you don't even write it yourself, but instead steal ameme from somebody else who took the work of creating it.

Mad-Pac

And still we are waiting for you to reply to this - in my opinion - highly accurate post, Mad-Pac.....
And why would I reply to a highly inflammatory post (I presume)? What you want is to see @ant-mac and I argue over water under the bridge while you comfortably watch it on your armchair. Very devious.

Mad-Pac

I could make this a long post, but frankly my boredom threshold regarding Mad Pac is quite low, so I'll make it brief.
In a private conversation MP told me he was excited at the prospect of a new intake into The Sages. That excitement presumably wore off when he realised that British shows were likely to be the diet for the foreseeable future. Not his cup of tea, fair enough. But as Co - ordinator he should have stayed with B7/
Well, if you seriously do want to revisit the ghost Christmas past, I have to say that no, I shouldn't even have started with Blake's 7. I listened to you and let you convince me and that was my serious mistake. I should've stood firm and said, "No, I'm sorry, we don't do long shows, so Blakes 7 is out" (same thing we told you several times in IMDB when we rejected Blakes 7 and Doctor Who more than once.) And I should've added that if you guys wanted to make a Blakes 7 conversation group, by all means, the more the merrier, but you shouldn't use the work of the Sages for that because we didn't do long shows and you knew that. Why m orph our little thing into something else when you can perfectly create your own thing, especially considering that a Blakes 7 board already existed and was full of synopses and comments already? The whole incident is totally bizarre. And, by the way, expect people who are having a miserable time to remain goes totally against the spirit of the Sages, which was all about people having a good time, that's all.

and Catweazle
Are you distorting the account of the events on purpose? I did stay on Catweazle. I only left Catweazle because Doctor Omega took over, started to dictate rules, like we had to use his summaries for the introduction of each episode, started making his own polls and nothing else remained for me to do.

and constructively criticized using reasoned arguments, it would have been part of the fun. He had new willing members who voted in good faith for those shows.
And still remain in good faith doing whatever they want on those shows boards. So you have no point.

But instead he ran away, couldn't be arsed with it, taking those he could to another board, I call that running away . First time probably, a show chosen he couldn't relate to, and I get that, but he ran away!!
The funny thing is that when you ran away several times on IMDB when you didn't like something, that was OK (And it really was, because nobody accused you of anything, just welcomed you back when you returned.) Again, Blakes 7 should never have started as a Sages project, and in Catweazle Doctor Omega took over rather forcibly.

Now on a broader point, the whole of IMDF is a sort of melting pot of ideas, show reviews, comments etc, so having a group within a group is probably unnecessary,
I think people are perfectly able to decide what is necessary for their needs. From my experience if you become an outsider you're called a troll, so separate groups seems like a good idea.

so I can't see The Sages or similar being revamped, unless MP wants to try elsewhere
Shame it didn't survive longer here,
Our little experiment lasted almost ten years, so I call it a success. But everything ends one day, so there's nothing extraordinary here.

what we needed was a commited and flexible and galvanizing co-ordinator willing to grasp the nettle of shows maybe not of his liking, for the sake of the group, we didn't get it,
The way you always twisted your nose to non-British shows and kep complaining we wouldn't pick British shows (which was totally untrue) makes you sound like a hypocrite. And you're mistaken. A group works successfully with sound principles not a leader that serves your particular needs. Remember when we discussed whether a show should be selected because it had more golds (first-place preference) or more votes in general? You defended that the winning show should have more golds, and this would satisfy die-hard fans andforget people who didn't care about the show or hate it. I, on the other hand, defended that a show should be picked if it had been remembered as an option by the most people, even if not on the first place. That means nobody would hate the show. My conclusion after doing this business for several years is that the chosen show should be welcomed by everybody whenever possible. It makes no sense to please a couple die-hard fans and exclude others, giving them a terrible experience. That will never last.

Brimfin on the other hand gave both shows a go, reasonably enjoyed them,.....pity he wasn't in charge.
Well, you're in charge now. I can barely wait for the new golden age that awaits us.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaellevenson

Couple of points, I never left The Sages and came back, until Twin Peaks of course.
Before then I did all shows, remember I did Kolchak under another username. Also I'm sure in the history of The Sages, others gritted their teeth and did a show they didn't particularly like, or left, but you were the co-ordinator, that makes a difference. Finally I've no desire to run the Sages, but bearing in mind Cloister 56, the last Sage, and his nomination last time, I'm going to contact him in PM , in case he doesn't see this, and suggest an Omega Factor rewatch, not in a group , but just ask if he'd like to do it with me, and anyone else who is interested.
UPDATE
Since posting this, myself and Doc have introduced a new group, The Gurus of Telefantasy, this isn't a takeover of the Sages, it's a new group.
We have six shows running concurrently and people can choose what to participate in. You're welcome to join in.
Details here;
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-gurus-of-telefantasy.5141/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

THE SAGES CONTINUE ( temporarily at least)

I have decided after some thought to take up the previous Co ordinator of The Sages suggestion that I take up the reins and lead it to a new golden age. Though methinks he was being a bit sarcastic!!
Myself and Cloister 56 are reviewing the ten part BBC classic The Omega Factor. Please join us. A new episode thread will be posted on Thursdays. What will happen after this show will depend on how many join us, if any, so it may be a temporary continuation of The Sages.
Meanwhile Doc Omega and Myself have formulated The Gurus Of Telefantasy review group, there's room for both.
The Gurus have some wonderful shows all up and running, the threads are already there for all episodes, so folks can review at their own speed, quick or slow, and any episode you fancy talking about. I'll certainly be continuing with Blakes7, Catweazle and others.
But if you like the one episode a week format of one show then The Sages might continue to work, one show at a time is best for The Sages, something the previous Co ordinator lost sight of.
So Sages and Gurus, here's hoping for the success of both

S

smithtutti the horse's arse

I'm a lowlife and someone changed my account name

A certain retarded person changed my user name from "smithtutti" to "
smithtutti the horse's arse." how do i change it back, and can whoever did it be banned permanently from this site? thanks.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
It was obviously a moderator. Can someone please change my user name back and permanently ban the lowlife moderator who did it? Thanks.
It wasn't a moderator, it was an administrator. Me.

You've been an abrasive, rude and short-tempered poster since the day you first showed up here. Well, I - and certain other staff members and standard members - have had enough of your shit. Play nice or I'll slap you harder next time. And I'll change your name back when you've proved you can interact with other members without being a horse's arse.

Unless I've figured out how to ban myself first.

S

smithtutti the horse's arse

If someone could please permanently ban this piece of s.hit from the site, that would be great. Thanks.