Review The Incredible Hulk (2008)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There were things about both solo HULK movies that I liked, and much I didn't. I thought Norton was good as Banner, but Ruffalo seems to fit the best with the comics. His film was better than HULK, but still was very flawed. I believe I read that Norton didn't come back because he thought that the material was beneath him, and so he asked for a huge pay raise, which Marvel said no to.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Bixby/ Ferrigno combo were MY Hulk - the Hulk that gets you through A levels is the only Hulk that matters. (OK I'd read a few comics before then, but nothing since has nudged my personal radar).

Carol

1. Thanks, Doc. Is it me, or is it a bit odd that a character like Hulk should have had his own very-much loved series way back when, but is a bit relegated these days to yob-numpties like Iron Man now (who couldn't command their own pilot back in the day).
PS "Back in the day" is a term I only ever use with extremely-prejudicial scorn.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Carrying a movie (Norton) is tricky especially when the super hero aspect is a green, taciturn CGI monster. I think Ruffalo works specifically because 1) he doesn't have to carry the film and 2) the green non-talking monster is surrounded by other (more talkative) characters.

I'm not convinced a Hulk movie can ever really work as a stand alone since it inevitably has to focus on the man rather than the monster and frankly, I'm not that interested in Banner.

Carol

Thanks, Hux - interesting perspective. Maybe my memories of the TV Hulk's week by week adventures invested my ideas of the character in a different way: the Hulk was something (someone) that was happening to Banner - the duality was what was interesting.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
And that theme tune used to tug at my heart strings at the end, especially in conjunction with Banner's trying to hitch a lift along some roadside...

(Stifles sob....!)

Last edited:

Carol

And ain't life's highway a bitch to us all - not just the impulse-challenged shirt-shredded fraternity...
Big lumps in the throat going out to all Quantum Leapers and Alias Smiths and Jonses too. And others, I'm sure...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The HULK: Edward Norton Talks "Behind The Scenes" about the film !

Entertainment reporter Tim Estiloz profiles"The Incredible Hulk" star, Edward Norton in this behind the scenes feature. In a rare interview, Norton details his interest in this film, his admiration of co-star Liv Tyler... and his hopes for this hit film.