Review The Last Jedi Review

Discussion in 'Film: Reviews' started by TheIrishAvenger, Dec 15, 2017.

1. TheIrishAvenger

TheIrishAvenger Member: Rank 1

• Like Like x 3
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

3. TheIrishAvenger

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Thanks Dave. I have yet to see the film, but will be checking out your review as soon as I have. :emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Rotten Tomatoes Denies “Last Jedi” Interference

rotten-tomatoes-denies-last-jedi-interference-696x464.jpg

The first real indicator that set off the now week long debates amongst fans regarding “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” wasn’t the film’s strong 92% Rotten Tomatoes critics score, but rather its surprising 54% audience score on the same site. Despite frequent talk of critics and audience tastes differing on many films, the difference in their RT approval ratings is rarely so massive.

As ComScore and CinemaScore polls tracking audience members exiting the cinema have come in and shown a score much closer to the critics ones, there’s been an understandable suspicion that organized voting campaigns and even possible bot targeted interference was responsible for the RT user score being so skewed.

Fandango’s Vice President of Communications and Rotten Tomatoes spokesperson Dana Benson has now come out and verified the authenticity of the audience score in an interview with Forbes, saying the film ratings site goes to great lengths in order to ensure the authenticity of their scores:

“We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine. They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted.

Aside from that, everything is normal and we don’t see any unusual activity. We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films. We’ve been working around the clock to get the numbers right.

Authenticity is very important to us. We have security teams, network teams, database teams who work so hard, it’s a little disheartening for them to see people make such [accusatory] claims without knowing the facts.”

Benson adds that the latest Star Wars film has received a ‘comparable number of reviews to The Force Awakens’ at the same point in the film’s cycle. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is now playing in cinemas.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

@TheIrishAvenger Beautifully written. You said everything I thought about the movie. The only thing I thought is that
    I absolutely love the idea of Rey coming from nothing, and not having a connection to the past. One of the things that annoys me about the prequels (and prequels in general), is how everyone and everything has to be connected in some way. It's one of those things that I'm sure is just an issue for me, but it's something that just bugs me.
    Excellent review, thought, mate!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Hamill Says “He’s Not My Luke Skywalker”

hamill-says-hes-not-my-luke-skywalker-696x464.jpg

The Luke Skywalker we meet at the beginning of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is quite different from the one we last met at the end of “Return of the Jedi”. In the three-decade span between the trilogies, Luke has shut himself off from the galaxy and has no interest in helping the Resistance due to his lack of faith in the ways of the Jedi.

He’s a grump, bitter and defeated with regrets a mile long over failures in his past. That’s a bold decision for a character, making what was an iconic hero into something much more human and flawed – fitting with the themes of the film about perceptions of legacy and deconstructions of the very myths the series was built on.

In the complaints against the film online, its treatment of Luke is one that comes up a lot and it turns out the actor who plays him – the one and only Mark Hamill – feels the same way. He tells Youtube channel Jar Jar Abrams:

“I said to Rian, ‘Jedi’s don’t give up.’ I mean, even if he had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup. But if he made a mistake, he would try and right that wrong. So, right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story – and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective.

…That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well, in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker. He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well.

But listen, I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job.”

You can see his answer in the video below. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is now in cinemas.

8. TheIrishAvenger

Thanks man, glad you liked the review and the movie. I agree on your own thoughts about
    connections. I wouldn't say it annoys me, but I definitely don't think it's necessary to tell a good story.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

“Last Jedi” Comics, Cut Scene Talk & More

last-jedi-comics-cut-scene-talk-more-696x464.jpg

Last week came word that the upcoming novelization of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on March 6th will include deleted scenes not in the film, indeed it has long been known that the Blu-ray release of the movie is said to contain around 20 minutes of cut scenes as an extra.

Now comes word that “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” scribe Gary Whitta will pen completely new scenes for the story for the upcoming graphic novel adaptation. IGNreports the six-issue series, with art by Michael Walsh, will provide a new perspective on events we saw unfold on the big screen. The comic will likely include one scene that is confirmed for the novelization but won’t be in the disc cut scenes – Han Solo’s funeral.

Johnson recently spoke with Comicbook.com about one key scene that made it into the movie – Rey entering the Dark Side pit and finding a long line of mirror images of herself. Johnson said the image was in his head before he began serious work on the film:

“It was just an image that came into my head of this infinite line of, you know, possibilities of self in this infinite line of possibilities of identity and the notion then of playing with which one is the quote-unquote real her. Which one is going to be her and where does it end, and it does end someplace. It ends at a place that shows her basically her kind of worst fear which is that it’s just her.”

He also tells Collider that at one point the visit to Canto Bight would’ve been Finn and Poe rather than Finn and Rose:

In the very first draft I wrote of it, Poe went with Finn on the mission to Canto Bight, and the two of them were going to be together on the mission. And it didn’t work at all because those two get along so well and so it was just really boring.”

Johnson revealed that the cut scenes on the disc will include two key extended sequences. One has Rey and Luke visiting a village where the Caretakers (the Nun Fishes) live, the other is a sequence where Rose, and Finn, and DJ are sneaking through the Mega Destroyer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

“Last Jedi” Blu-ray Has 14 Deleted Scenes

q15e996l.jpg

Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Pictures have announced the details of the home video release of Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” which will come to Digital HD on March 13th and to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray/DVD on March 27th.

The big news is the disc will include approximately fourteen never-before-seen deleted scenes with an introduction and optional commentary by Johnson with the director also doing a commentary track for the entire film. There’ll also be two further exclusive scenes featuring Andy Serkis as Snoke prior to his digital makeover.

The film will also be Disney’s first title available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in both Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos immersive audio.

Other extras include a feature-length documentary, scene breakdowns, and featurettes exploring the film’s take on Star Mythology along with the space battles, the Crait sequence and the crafting of the character of Supreme Leader Snoke.

12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - that goddamned scene...

13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

00.jpg

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (also known as Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi) is a 2017 American epic space opera film written and directed by Rian Johnson. It is the second installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy and the eighth main installment of the Star Wars franchise, following Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015). It was produced by Lucasfilm and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The ensemble cast includes Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels and Gwendoline Christie in returning roles, with Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro joining the cast. The film features the final film performance by Fisher, who died in December 2016, and it is dedicated to her memory. The plot follows Rey as she receives Jedi training from Luke Skywalker, in hopes of turning the tide for the Resistance in the fight against Kylo Ren and the First Order.

The Last Jedi was part of a new trilogy of films announced after Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm in October 2012. It was produced by Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, with Force Awakens director J. J. Abrams as an executive producer. John Williams, composer for the previous films, returned to compose the score. Scenes that required shooting at Skellig Michael in Irelandwere filmed during pre-production in September 2015, with principal photography beginning at Pinewood Studios in the United Kingdom in February 2016 and ending in July 2016. Post-production wrapped in September 2017.

The Last Jedi had its world premiere in Los Angeles on December 9, 2017, and was released in the United States on December 15, 2017. It has grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film of 2017, the 6th-highest-ever grossing film in North America and the 9th-highest-grossing film of all time, as well as the second-highest-grossing film of the Star Wars franchise. It received positive reviews from critics, who praised its ensemble cast, visual effects, musical score, action sequences and emotional weight; some considered it the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back.[7][8][9][10] The film received four nominations at the 90th Academy Awards, including Best Original Score and Best Visual Effects, as well two nominations at the 71st British Academy Film Awards. A sequel, provisionally titled Star Wars: Episode IX, is scheduled for release on December 20, 2019

14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Holdo Was Force-Sensitive In “Last Jedi”

holdo-was-force-sensitive-in-last-jedi-696x464.jpg

While there are those like the Jedi and the Sith who are tied inexorably to the Force, the “Star Wars” universe has shown numerous characters in the past (such as Maz Kanata from ‘Force Awakens’ or Chirrut Imwe from ‘Rogue One’) who are ‘force sensitive’ – holding the power in high regard but not necessarily trained or strong enough to wield it.

In a new interview with EW, Laura Dern has revealed that her character of Vice Admiral Holdo from “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” was one such ‘force sensitive’ character – even if the film didn’t clearly spell that out:

“In their minds, and in their understanding of the origin story, we know that she was a true rebel in the Resistance, and in our culture we might have called her a hippie. But she was longing for peace, and a revolutionary in that way, and wanted to be trained by and led by Leia, who taught her everything she knew. She wanted to come up in the ranks to support Leia’s mission, but also had this otherworldly side that does involve the Force.”

Despite it not showing up, it was a key backstory element that was worked out between Dern, Rian Johnson, and Kathleen Kennedy and ties in to the motivation surrounding her sacrificial slamming of the ship into the First Order fleet:

“There’s something about her that longs to protect it, and holds that with great care. There’s a sort of a light on and a wisdom that she speaks about in the film, and speaks to Oscar Isaac’s character briefly about it. Her primary goal was to protect the light, to protect the Force, and to keep the revolutionaries alive. And I think the film speaks so beautifully to that with this last image of the next generation of the Resistance, you know?”

15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

16. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

17. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Mark Hamill Says He Regrets Publicly Criticizing 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' (Exclusive)

18. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Pegg Talks “Last Jedi” Parents Reveal

pegg-talks-last-jedi-parents-reveal-696x464.jpg

Many of the vocal complaints around “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” all tied back to expectations, be it ones from many years of fandom to more recently potential story directions in the wake of J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”.

Before release, one of the most speculated on subplots was that of Rey and her lineage. Setup as only a very minor element in ‘Force Awakens’, the question over the identity of Rey’s parents quickly grew as fandom fuelled it with wild theories. Through all these theories though, almost all had her as the child of someone important in the “Star Wars” universe – namely a Skywalker, a Solo or someone else in the previous films.

When Rian Johnson’s film made it clear her parents were essentially nobodies in the greater scheme of the universe, it was a genuine surprise. Some welcomed it – it meant the Force wasn’t reliant on bloodlines, and it re-democratised it as a talent some are just naturally gifted at like music or math.

Others hated it because it not only ruined their theories, it was just seemingly yet one more element of the film that confirmed reports that Disney and Lucasfilm went into this new trilogy without any real plan in mind and so were winging it. Johnson himself has indicated Abrams didn’t have much interaction with the story or development of ‘Last Jedi’.

Daisy Ridley changed that notion a bit recently, saying Abrams wrote drafts for Episode VIII and Episode IX, and Johnson re-wrote his episode entirely and didn’t keep much of anything from Abrams draft. Now, in a recent Happy Sad Confused podcast, actor Simon Pegg suggested that Abrams did have intentions for Rey’s parents that were different to Johnson:

“I know what J.J. intended or at least [the idea of] what was being chucked around. I think that’s been undone slightly by the [‘The Last Jedi’]… There was some talk about a kind of relevant lineage for her… But I honestly don’t know, and I don’t know if anyone knows, we’ll see.”

With Abrams back in the ‘Episode IX’ chair, could that moment in ‘Last Jedi’ be undone? Johnson has said that while he intended in the moment for what Kylo tells Rey to be true, there’s the possibility Abrams’ film could reveal that to be a lie. Either way, this debate is only just getting started.

19. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Am glad to see that there is one, single, coherent vision behind this well thought out, tacked-on, trilogy. :emoji_head_bandage:

20. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Mark Hamill on The Last Jedi Cutting Luke's Reaction to Han Solo's Death