Review The Last Starfighter (1984)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

The Last Starfighter is a 1984 American space opera film directed by Nick Castle. The film tells the story of Alex Rogan (Lance Guest), an average teenager recruited by an alien defense force to fight in an interstellar war. It also features Robert Preston, Dan O'Herlihy, Catherine Mary Stewart, Norman Snow, and Kay E. Kuter.

The Last Starfighter, along with Disney's Tron, has the distinction of being one of cinema's earliest films to use extensive computer-generated imagery (CGI) to depict its many starships, environments and battle scenes. It is one of the first films to use CGI to represent "real-life" objects instead of digital graphics.

The Last Starfighter was Preston's final role on the big screen (though he would do cameos in TV movies afterwards until his death in 1987). His character, a "lovable con-man", was a nod to his most famous role as Harold Hill in The Music Man.[2] There was a subsequent novelization of the film by Alan Dean Foster, as well as a video game based on the production. In 2004, it was also adapted as an off-Broadway musical.

Cast

Sequel

In February 2008, production company GPA Entertainment added "Starfighter – The sequel to the classic motion picture Last Starfighter" to its list of projects and two months later the project was reported to be "stuck in the pre-production phase".[19] It was still there as of January 2012.[20] Hollywood directors including Seth Rogen and Steven Spielberg, as well as screenwriter Gary Whitta, have expressed interest in creating a sequel or remake, but Jonathan R. Betuel has allegedly indicated that he does not want another film made.

The rights to the film have not been clearly defined due to conflicting information. Multiple sources say Universal Pictures still owns the theatrical and home media distribution rights while Warner Bros., which absorbed Lorimar Pictures in 1992, has the international distribution rights. Another source states that Universal has the option to remake the film while Betuel has sequel rights. Further complicating the situation is a claim that both Universal and Warner Bros. each have remake and sequel rights.[22]

In July 2015, it was reported that Betuel will write a TV reboot of the film.[23]

On April 4th, 2018 an article in IO9 stated Gary Whitta, working with John Betuel, had plans for a reboot movie

Doctor Omega

“Rogue One” Scribe Resurrects “Last Starfighter”

rogue-one-scribe-resurrects-last-starfighter-696x464.jpg

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” screenwriter Gary Whitta has just shared concept art for a project he’s working on – one with ties to the 1984 cult classic “The Last Starfighter”.

Whitta posted on Twitter that he wants to share “a little something I’ve been tinkering on with my co-writer Jonathan Betuel” – and posted four concept art pictures that were unmistakably tied to the 1984 space film which Betuel co-wrote.

Lance Guest starred in the original as a young man whose skill at an arcade game leads him to being recruited in a real galactic war, defending “the Frontier” from Xur (Norman Snow) and the Ko-Dan Armada.

Whitta added: “You might recognize the ships. Thanks to the amazing Matt Allsopp for creating these images for us.” He was also asked if it was a reboot or a sequel to which he only responded: “Forgot to cc @Sethrogen since I know he’s a fan :)… Okay, back to work… might have a bit more for you later” with that post including a photo from the original film.

There’s been no word on a potential remake of the property aside from a report three years ago about a potential TV series adaptation which would have sequences that allowed for VR use.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/stat...rogue-one-scribe-resurrects-last-starfighter/

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/stat...rogue-one-scribe-resurrects-last-starfighter/

Doctor Omega

More Details On “Last Starfighter” Reboot

more-details-on-last-starfighter-reboot-696x464.jpg

Following this morning’s tease of some sort of return of 1984 cult classic sci-fi film “The Last Starfighter,” screenwriter Gary Whitta has now gone into detail about just what he was teasing with his social media posts which included concept art depicting the iconic ships from the original.

Speaking with io9, Whitta has confirmed that yes it is indeed a reboot of the classic 1984 sci-fi film which he and the original film’s writer Jonathan Betuel are working on. Betuel apparently retains partial ownership of the IP so he has to participate, and so Whitta tracked him down and now they’re collaborating:

“After I was done pestering him with all my fanboy questions about the original film we started to talk about what a new version might look like. Since then we’ve spent so many hours working on it I’ve long since lost count, but right now we have a fully developed story that is a combination of reboot and sequel that we both think honors the legacy of the original film while passing the torch to a new generation.

We’re both very excited about it creatively… It’s a passion project for Jon and me both. And I know we have a great movie here. But we still need to deal with some remaining biz stuff before we can really move forward. We’ve had a lot of talks with Universal. We’re determined, one way or another, to make this happen.”

Lance Guest starred in the original as a young man whose skill at an arcade game leads him to being recruited in a real galactic war, defending “the Frontier” from Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.