Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that when Catherine Tate says...

"I was gonna be with you.... forever!"

...she sold that line so well. :emoji_cry:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
My biggest problem was the Doctor/Donna meta-crisis and her needing to have her memory erased of him. It made for some great drama, and it still affects me when I watch it, but it still makes me angry.
This is my biggest issue with companions in the new era. For some reason (with Martha being the sole exception) they all have to be "forced" to leave. No one can just say "OK its been fun but its time for me to settle down now". It doesn't help that companions don't seem to travel with the Doctor anymore either. They just jump on board for a day trip somewhere and then back home again until next time.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This is my biggest issue with companions in the new era. For some reason (with Martha being the sole exception) they all have to be "forced" to leave. No one can just say "OK its been fun but its time for me to settle down now". It doesn't help that companions don't seem to travel with the Doctor anymore either. They just jump on board for a day trip somewhere and then back home again until next time.
Everything you just said! I've especially grown weary of the "day trip" companions. Even Rose, who was up for just up and going away, still ended up visiting home every few episodes. The kicker of that one is when Doc 9 even makes a snarky comment about things getting "domestic". Just give him someone who wants to travel, and get them out there. Not stopping back home every few seconds to see if someone left the iron on.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
For some reason (with Martha being the sole exception) they all have to be "forced" to leave.
Well, I'd add Rory and Amy to Martha, and Jack, and River and Mickey come to think of it. And Sarah Jane declined another invitation to re-join Team Tardis. Guess my list of voluntary departees is longer than that of clingers. Which, given Donna's involuntary retirement, leaves just Rose.

Gavin

VIP
Well, I'd add Rory and Amy to Martha, and Jack, and River and Mickey come to think of it. And Sarah Jane declined another invitation to re-join Team Tardis. Guess my list of voluntary departees is longer than that of clingers. Which, given Donna's involuntary retirement, leaves just Rose.
I tend to take Rory and Amy's leaving as forced - it was only when they were sent back in time to a place the TARDIS couldn't get to without difficulty that they decided to tell the Doctor not to come and get them - if that hadn't happened, the implication is that they'd have stayed with him. Jack was left behind initially and only stayed on earth after being picked up the second time because he'd spent a century on earth and had made a commitment to Torchwood - if he hadn't been left behind at the end of Parting of the Ways, would he have left by choice? Mickey left voluntarily, but I've always considered him more of a hanger-on than a true companion. He was only ever on board because of his relationship with Rose and once he (finally) understood that Rose wasn't interested he left. I take that as less a case of him leaving the Doctor/TARDIS and more about him leaving Rose. Finally, Sarah Jane was unwillingly left behind by the Fourth Doctor and it was only because she'd been left alone to rebuild her life that she decided not to travel further. The implication is that if the Fourth Doctor hadn't dumped her she wouldn't have left.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
@Gavin
Thanks for your detailed reply! I think we're simply at cross-purposes. I'm talking about our later views of the characters I'm talking about. Rory and Amy did an unspecified amount of going home between Tardis jaunts to the extent that they appeared to be aging excessively to stay-at-home friends. Possibly the only Doctor's chums who tried routinely to juggle real life and Tardis life - and of course it went pear-shaped in the end.
Jack did leave by choice as you agree, so did Micky, so did Sarah-Jane. I like the idea (magnificently brought home in School Reunion) that life after the Doctor is desirable, and sensible and really a little bit enviable. Especially for Sarah-Jane, who continues to save the world with just a clapped-out Citroen and a sonic lipstick!

Gavin

VIP
@Gavin
Thanks for your detailed reply! I think we're simply at cross-purposes. I'm talking about our later views of the characters I'm talking about. Rory and Amy did an unspecified amount of going home between Tardis jaunts to the extent that they appeared to be aging excessively to stay-at-home friends. Possibly the only Doctor's chums who tried routinely to juggle real life and Tardis life - and of course it went pear-shaped in the end.
Jack did leave by choice as you agree, so did Micky, so did Sarah-Jane. I like the idea (magnificently brought home in School Reunion) that life after the Doctor is desirable, and sensible and really a little bit enviable. Especially for Sarah-Jane, who continues to save the world with just a clapped-out Citroen and a sonic lipstick!
Thanks Carol. I think its also difficult to really quantify later companions like Amy & Rory, Clara, and now Bill, given that they seem to have the benefit of travelling with the Doctor as well as maintaining their home life. I suspect in a case like that its much harder to decide to stop travelling when compared with Classic Who companions whose travels with the Doctor precluded their "old" life with friends and family.

Doctor Omega

Freema Agyeman: ‘Bradley Walsh is Doctor Who’s new assistant? He’ll be brilliant’

1302.jpg

Hi, Freema. You’re in a film that’s about vampires (1) . Have you ever donated blood?
I did at university – like a million years ago. But I’m thinking of doing it again, because my sister’s husband got one of those kits you can get to test your own blood type. He found out he was O-negative. And out of seven people who got tested, I got O-negative as well (2) . That’s the universal blood type, so we can give blood to anyone.

Sorry, why were you using home blood analysis kits?
It was something to do with all of this DNA family history stuff. I’m totally fascinated with heritage. There was a minute when I was talking to Who Do You Think You Are (3) , and some of the stuff they found out in the first round was really interesting.

Would you be up for having the blood of a teenager transfused into you? There are apparently big anti-ageing benefits.
Well, fascinatingly, with my new film, it looks at the issues that vampires are discussing, and it goes into social media, and how we value ourselves in this world of Instagram and selfies.

Which cosmetic procedure would you most be up for?
Nothing! I’m practising yoga and meditation, and it’s doing wonders for one’s perception of oneself. I’m in a bit of a hippy-dippy phase. It’s not something I look down on, though. Everyone is entitled to do what they feel.

What style of yoga are you doing?
It’s a combination of ashtanga and vinyasa. And lots of meditation.

What poses are you good at?
Do you know the Crow?

Is it like the Eagle but a bit uglier?
Yeah, it is!

Do you feel that you were cruelly disbarred from being the first female Doctor Who? (4)
No! I’m overjoyed that we have Jodie Whittaker. Not a moment too soon, really. She’s perfect casting, and it’s definitely the right time.

Who else would be good in the role?
Well, is it true that Bradley Walsh is going to be the new assistant? (5) I think he will be brilliant at that.

You were in the UK version of Law & Order. Which do you prefer – law or order?
They go very well together, don’t they? The thing I learned from that show was that the law is really quite difficult. My sister has a law degree. I just remember the books and books and books that she came home with to study. She came with me when I went to visit the Old Bailey and sit in on trials as part of my research. It was like a whole alien world.

In tribute to Bruce Forsyth, would you like to play “Maximum-Sentencing Play Your Cards Right”? I’ll give you the maximum sentence in British law, and I want you to tell me whether you think it should be higher or lower.
I thought we were supposed to be talking about my vampire film, Gavin!

Violent disorder: five years. Too high or too low?
Honestly, having played a lawyer, I know I would want to know a lot about the background. I couldn’t just give you an answer if I haven’t even seen the mens rea(6) .

That’s only fair. Recently, you’ve been working on Netflix’s Sense8 with Lilly and Lana Wachowski. What’s your favourite sense?
Given how I’m a complete foodie, I’ll go with taste.

What did you take from working with the Wachowskis?
They were my heroes for many years. Ever since The Matrix, which changed my life in so many ways. They made me think – about philosophy, about business. They say never work with your heroes, but they are so fantastically erudite and so interested in other people that it’s empowering. They’re unique honest and brave artists. We need to be taking something from very encounter we have in life and learning and growing.

Your half hour is up, I’m afraid. Anything else we need to put on the record?
Yes, I’d also like to put in a mention for Epilepsy Action, a great charity I’m working with. It has a National Doodle Day on 22 September. My seven-year-old niece was diagnosed at the beginning of this year. Sometimes these things have to be brought to your awareness.

Eat Locals will have its UK Premiere at FrightFest on 26 August, and is released on VOD from 1st September

Doctor Omega

Alex Kingston Talks River Song’s Plans For Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor

IMG_8864-600x400.jpg

Labor Day weekend has come and gone, with it Dragon Con and a panel with Alex Kingston. Whovians know her as River Song, wife of The Doctor, 90’s tv fans know her as Dr. Elizabeth Corday from ER, we know her as awesome.

The panel went about how most of them do; chatting about the event (this was Alex’s second Dragon Con), the weather, and the fan photo ops she’d just finished before making it to the panel.

Audience questions started almost immediately, which was nice for the gathered fans, and somehow morphed into Alex asking Doctor Who trivia questions with rewards for correct answers in the form of bananas. Yes, bananas.

The majority of the questions centered around Kingston’s strength in her roles, but also her experiences with ageism in Hollywood.

I’m just sort of….me. And of course every time it’s the 11th of March I know that I’m getting another year wiser. But I live day to day, just being me. And so I am not necessarily conscious of my age. When it comes to work, I’m aware, there are roles I can’t go up for anymore, or roles that I should be going up for but they’re casting way younger than is actually real. But I suppose I’ve been really lucky to be given a role where River is sort of ageless in a way, it’s fluid.

It’s funny, because the majority of us are probably not aware of how GOOD we look as women in this day and age. I mean we are fitter, we’re healthier, and I think prouder than our mother’s and grandmother’s generation. I mean it wasn’t that long ago when it was believed that as soon as you turn 50, you’re considered dead from the bellybutton down. I’m certainly not. *the audience goes wild*

But the real big news was when Alex was asked about what’s next on her docket, and she mentioned she wanted to return to theater. If you haven’t seen the PHENOMENAL production of “Macbeth” she did with Mr. Shakespeare himself Kenneth Branagh you REALLY should.

That said, she also mentioned that she was going to “call the BBC and let them know River is ready to meet her second wife.” To which, of course, the audience exploded. “Why not? She (River) said it!”

Doctor Omega

Three new companions for a new era.......

Doctor-Who-companions-960x540.jpg

Bradley Walsh’s character will be called Graham,

Tosin Cole will play Ryan,

Mandip Gill will play Yasmin.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Please let all three be good actors.

No more flat delivery of lines, a la Danny Pink, please.

That's all one can hope for.

And it will be so disappointing, I think, if they are - once again - modern day suburbanites, who have little sense of wonder and who throw smart-arsed quips and jibes at the Doctor, instead of being like, you know, actually scared when something is about to kill them. That's not a weakness of character. It's just a very natural human reaction to very real jeopardy.

Because if the characters don't believe they are at risk, why should we believe it?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
And it will be so disappointing, I think, if they are - once again - modern day suburbanites, who have little sense of wonder and who throw smart-arsed quips and jibes at the Doctor, instead of being like, you know, actually scared when something is about to kill them. That's not a weakness of character. It's just a very natural human reaction to very real jeopardy.

Because if the characters don't believe they are at risk, why should we believe it?
I think someone complained about "damsel-in-distress" companions once, and now they all have to be these tough, mouthy brave people who think they're invincible. The only time it really worked is with Donna, because, while she still had those qualities, she also knew when there was danger, and to follow the Doctor's lead and do what he said.

Doctor Omega

Yes, the scene with the Sontaran springs to mind.

That's why Donna was and remains my favourite of the modern companions.