Review The Moonbase (1967)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I knew this story as the novelisation first, which was my first introduction to the Troughton Doctor (the repeat of THE KROTONS on UK telly was some way off).

I think the recent animation for the dvd release was really well done.

Doctor Omega

JAMIE: Yon canna be the moon!

DOCTOR: You're right Jamie. We have, in fact arrived on a great, big, fat, freshly laid egg, that got laid by a space dragon that came out of another egg, the exact same size, which the entire Earth saw explode when the dragon hatched, but it's an egg which the nations of the Earth decided to put a base on anyway, from where they could control the weather. Like you do.

JAMIE: It's nae the moon then?

DOCTOR: (Flatly, without humour) No.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Well technically it is still a "moon" as it's a satellite orbiting a planet. It's just not THE moon as science has understood it for centuries. Or as anyone above the age of about 2 would understand it.

Or as I prefer to express it - "What egg? The moon was never an egg! That never happened!!!"

Doctor Omega

Perhaps the Capaldi Doctor has actually been trapped in the Land of Fiction where any old rubbish can happen as a bad sci-fi writer is now in charge there.

Doctor Omega

The surviving episodes 2 and 4 of THE MOONBASE (along with episodes 3 and 6 of THE WHEEL IN SPACE) were originally released on this tape, along with links by Colin Baker.....

Cybermen_early_years_uk_vhs.jpg

Last edited: