Fun The Movie Graveyard!

Discussion in 'Cinema: General' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Donner Teases “Lethal Weapon 5” Again

donner-teases-lethal-weapon-5-again-696x464.jpg

Following a very brief tease the other month, “Lethal Weapon” franchise director Richard Donner has once again hinted that a fifth film in the series is raring to go.

Appearing on the Spocklight podcast, Donner seems fairly confident that the film will happen and is essentially just waiting on the green light as the script is ready and stars Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are also ready to go:

“It’s a story I came up with with Channing Gibson, the writer who wrote “Lethal Weapon 4,” and I’m just having to work it out with the studio. If everybody steps up and we all get together, we’ll make it. Mel and Danny are on board. If it doesn’t work out, at least we tried. But there’s a better chance that you will see the movie.”

So long as they can avoid the budget blowout that happened on the fourth film, the idea is a guaranteed profitable one for Warners with the three previous sequels earning a consistent $220-320 million each back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Whether fans of the previous films will still turn out is anybody’s guess, but the success of the recent small screen reboot suggests there’s still a thirst out there.

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

Aren't they getting too old for that sh*t?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

That's what I think too. Yes.

4. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

In the first LETHAL WEAPON, in 1987, Roger Murtaugh celebrated his fiftieth birthday.

That means he is now eighty.

Where are they planning to set this fifth film? In a fucking retirement village?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The “ROM” & “M.A.S.K.” Films Are Dead?

the-rom-m-a-s-k-films-are-dead-696x464.jpg

Two years ago Paramount announced plans for a joint cinematic universe featuring multiple franchises based on Hasbro Toys including “G.I. Joe,” “M.A.S.K.,” “Visionairies,” “ROM: Spaceknight” and “Micronauts”.

At the time a high profile writer’s room was assembled featuring the likes of Michael Chabon, Brian K. Vaughan, Akiva Goldsman, Joe Robert Cole, Nicole Perlman and the recently announced “The Flash” directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein.

Since then however? Nothing has really resulted from the endeavour. Speaking about their newest film “Game Night,” Daley and Goldstein tell IGN about what happened and how at least two of the properties – “ROM” and “M.A.S.K.” – are effectively dead:

“Those are probably not likely to see the light of day, unless they’re moving on separate from us. It’s a funny thing. We spent three weeks in a room with a lot of talented writers. We broke eleven or so movies and, I don’t know. It just kind of went into the vortex. There’s been some leadership changes at Paramount, so it’s hard to say. Nobody’s contacted us about those.

It was fun. It was a fun challenge to take these properties that were so barebones in any kind of a narrative and create a movie around them. You know, these little cheap, plastic things, and to give them a backstory was an exciting challenge.”

The movies were to be produced by Brian Goldner, Stephen Davis and Josh Feldman. For now, Paramount seems to be sticking only with its “Transformers” franchise and has the first spin-off of that series, “Bumblebee,” hitting in December.

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The Fifth “Lethal Weapon” Is Dead?

the-fifth-lethal-weapon-is-dead.jpg

After previous statements indicating a fifth and final “Lethal Weapon” film was effectively a go barring some scheduling issues, filmmaker Richard Donner is stepping back from the talk – so much so he’s now suggesting the potential sequel might be dead.

Donner has been teasing the project for a few years, but things picked up steam late last year with the fourth film scribe Channing Gibson returning and stars Mel Gibson and Danny Glover also said to be “seriously exploring the idea for another entry.”

While appearing on the Maltin On Movies podcast (via ScreenRant), Donner revealed the film was to be titled “Lethal Finale” but negotiations have broken down and problems behind-the-scenes may have effectively scuttled the whole thing:

“I’m ready to do 5. It’s called Lethal Finale. It’s very dark. And we were all set to go and now Warner Bros. is doing their old-fashioned tricks. Not Warner Bros., there’s this guy who runs the studio who’s great but they have these people in the legal department who do the negotiating in the most counter-productive way. They should be sent to a studio and work with the producers and directors and actors, and learn what makes a film, and then negotiate. But it’s just embarrassing. I wanted to end it on an emotional note, and I don’t think it’s gonna happen.”

The original “Lethal Weapon,” penned by Shane Black, remains a classic of the buddy action-comedy genre and the second film is also considered a strong follow-up. Worldwide the series has grossed $955 million across the four films.

7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Garland: Don’t Expect A “28 Months Later”

garland-dont-expect-28-months-later-696x464.jpg

Before he broke through with his directorial debut on “Ex Machina,” filmmaker Alex Garland was best known as a screen writer of numerous cult hits including “Dredd” and “Sunshine,” adaptations of “Never Let Me Go” and “The Beach,” video games “Enslaved: Odyssey to the West” and “DmC: Devil May Cry,” and the franchise horror films “28 Days Later” and “28 Weeks Later”.

In regards to the latter, there have long been rumors of a ‘trilogy capper’ which would understandably be called “28 Months Later,” though a rights dispute has caused some problems with the film’s progression. Garland, out doing promotion for his new sci-fi film “Annihilation,” says he doesn’t believe we’ll see another film in the series.

He revealed in a recent AMA session that there previously have been ‘kind of’ plans about where the franchise could go, but right now he says: “ doubt it will ever happen”. Garland has other work to occupy him in the future including his new eight-episode sci-fi series for FX, and he was also asked in the same session what comic he would like to be involved in a screen adaptation of to which he responded “Swamp Thing”.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Why You'll Sadly Never Get To See This Batman Film

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Blomkamp’s “Aliens” Sequel Is Definitely Dead

blomkamps-aliens-sequel-is-definitely-dead-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s proposed plans for a direct “Aliens” sequel are now well and truly dead. Talking up his Oat Studios label this week, the filmmaker revealed that his desire to make the film has come and gone.

The “District 9” helmer got many fans excited following his sharing of some concept art online several years ago. However, once Ridley Scott decided that he finally wanted to make “Alien: Covenant” then Blomkamp’s movie was put on the shelf and looked unlikely to be revived. Now he says its death is a certainty, telling JoBlo:

“Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It’s just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point, it’s kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone.

So, yeah…I think no. And I say that really reluctantly because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of Alien and Aliens and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron’s film is amazing on all levels. But, there’s a point at which when you’re years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.”

20th Century Fox hasn’t announced what they’re going to do next with “Alien” following the disappointing returns for ‘Covenant’.

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Feig On His Scrapped “Ghostbusters 2” Plans

ghostbusters-70m-loss-nixes-sequel-chanes-696x464.jpg

However you feel about director Paul Feig’s “Ghostbusters” reboot, there’s no question the 2016 film was a dud. Costing $144 million and taking in a box-office haul of $229 million, the film lost any chance of a sequel and while critical reviews were fine, they weren’t stellar.

Feig’s back in cinemas this week with the much tighter budgeted “A Simple Favour,” dubbed a ‘post-modern film noir’ thriller which stars Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick. Out doing promo rounds for it, he spoke with Happy Sad Confused podcast where he looked back at “Ghostbusters” and revealed his initial inspiration for the now abandoned sequel was while he was doing press for the first film:

“I definitely wanted us to go to another country. Because when we were doing the press tour, the international press tour, every country the reporters would come with these drawings or artist renderings of that country’s ghosts. And every country has these really wild ghost stories and ghost characters that they scare kids with or keep people in line with. I really loved the idea of the Ghostbusters going to like Asia. Yeah, so there’s a lot of fun stuff what we could have done.”

Things are looking happier for Feig’s “a Simple Favour” which is drawing rave reviews and is expected to have a $12-15 million opening weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Goddard Talks Abandoned “Sinister Six”

goddard-talks-abandoned-sinister-six-696x464.jpg

With his new film “Bad Times at the El Royale” now out in cinemas, director Drew Goddard has been doing some press rounds and recently discussed some of his superhero projects.

We heard last week he couldn’t give an update on the “X-Force” film because nothing has progressed, now he’s spoken with THR about a project he was previously linked to and then exited – Sony’s proposed “Spider-Man” spin-off “Sinister Six” several years ago which fell apart in the wake of Sony’s deal with Marvel Studios.

Goddard says he still has a fondness for that film and hopes one day to bring it back:

“[‘Sinister Six’] was really fun. I wouldn’t have done it had I not thought there was a real opportunity to do something different and exciting and just flat-out bananas. It was very much me and — a much more commercial version of — the ‘Cabin [in the Woods]’ mentality. The punk rock mentality that led to ‘Cabin’ is very much at the core of ‘Sinister Six.’

That’s a fun one. Who knows, it could see the light of day. It’s funny, I’ve been through a lot of volatility at a lot of different studios. Between MGM and Sony and Fox. At a certain point, you start to realize, ‘Oh, this is just a volatile business’ and you try to stay afloat as the boat rocks back and forth.”

With Sony’s plans for its own Spider-Man spin-offs finally getting off the ground with “Venom,” this seems one of those projects the studio could eventually revive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The “ALF” Reboot Has Been Scrapped

warners-considering-an-alf-reboot-696x464.jpg

The proposed reboot of late 1980s sitcom “ALF,” starring actors alongside a friendly and sarcastic puppeteered alien with a phallic nose and a taste for cats, has been killed off.

TV Line reports that: “Cats far and wide can breathe a sigh of relief: I’m hearing the proposed reboot is not moving forward at this time after failing to attract a suitor.” Basically no-one cared enough to make a revival of the property worth pursuing.

Murray Chapman penned the original series about a small, furry, arrogant extra-terrestrial from the planet Melmac who’s taken in by an average American family. Max Wright, Anne Schedeen and Paul Fusco starred.

ALF is still part of the pop-culture zeitgeist to this day. An attempt to revive the property with a 2012 live-action/CG hybrid film failed to get beyond the development state.

13. The Seeker

The Seeker Member: Rank 5

The actors really hated doing that show:

The goofy '80s sitcom about a furry wisecracking alien hiding out in a suburban family's house and trying to eat their cat was an inexplicable hit that ran on NBC for four years. Perhaps more inexplicable is that the ALF set was arguably one of the most unpleasant workplaces in TV history. Show creator and ALF puppeteer/voice actor Paul Fusco told The Hollywood Reporter that the show was technically difficult to produce, what with the trap doors all over the set where ALF had to be set up and actors having to navigate all those holes without looking down and ruining the illusion. A single episode could take as much as 25 hours to shoot, spread over two days. Anne Schedeen, who starred as (human) character Kate Tanner, told People in 2000 that "there was no joy on the set" and that some of the adult actors had "difficult personalities." Costar Andrea Olson (teen Tanner daughter Lynn) attributed that tension to "playing second fiddle to a puppet." Max Wright, who played apoplectic dad Willie Tanner, said that he was "hugely eager to have it over with." During the final season (1989-90), Wright reportedly got so frustrated that he came unglued one day and tried to attack the ALF puppet, screaming, "Put us on sticks! We're all puppets here!"

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50007/how-did-alf-work
    https://people.com/archive/alf-1986-1990-vol-53-no-25/
    http://noiselesschatter.com/2015/06/18/guest-post-alf-insight-from-bernie-brillstein/

• Like Like x 1
  14. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

I was a really huge Alf fan as a kid. I loved the show, the cartoon, and had the trading cards. Looking back, I want to slap the shit out of little Chainsaw.

That's not what I meant!

• Funny Funny x 1