Review The Movie Graveyard!

Discussion in 'Film: General' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Why You'll Sadly Never Get To See This Batman Film

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Blomkamp’s “Aliens” Sequel Is Definitely Dead

blomkamps-aliens-sequel-is-definitely-dead-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s proposed plans for a direct “Aliens” sequel are now well and truly dead. Talking up his Oat Studios label this week, the filmmaker revealed that his desire to make the film has come and gone.

The “District 9” helmer got many fans excited following his sharing of some concept art online several years ago. However, once Ridley Scott decided that he finally wanted to make “Alien: Covenant” then Blomkamp’s movie was put on the shelf and looked unlikely to be revived. Now he says its death is a certainty, telling JoBlo:

“Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It’s just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point, it’s kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone.

So, yeah…I think no. And I say that really reluctantly because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of Alien and Aliens and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron’s film is amazing on all levels. But, there’s a point at which when you’re years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.”

20th Century Fox hasn’t announced what they’re going to do next with “Alien” following the disappointing returns for ‘Covenant’.

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Feig On His Scrapped “Ghostbusters 2” Plans

ghostbusters-70m-loss-nixes-sequel-chanes-696x464.jpg

However you feel about director Paul Feig’s “Ghostbusters” reboot, there’s no question the 2016 film was a dud. Costing $144 million and taking in a box-office haul of $229 million, the film lost any chance of a sequel and while critical reviews were fine, they weren’t stellar.

Feig’s back in cinemas this week with the much tighter budgeted “A Simple Favour,” dubbed a ‘post-modern film noir’ thriller which stars Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick. Out doing promo rounds for it, he spoke with Happy Sad Confused podcast where he looked back at “Ghostbusters” and revealed his initial inspiration for the now abandoned sequel was while he was doing press for the first film:

“I definitely wanted us to go to another country. Because when we were doing the press tour, the international press tour, every country the reporters would come with these drawings or artist renderings of that country’s ghosts. And every country has these really wild ghost stories and ghost characters that they scare kids with or keep people in line with. I really loved the idea of the Ghostbusters going to like Asia. Yeah, so there’s a lot of fun stuff what we could have done.”

Things are looking happier for Feig’s “a Simple Favour” which is drawing rave reviews and is expected to have a $12-15 million opening weekend.

• Like Like x 1