duzit

Member: Rank 6
I've always liked bald actors, wayyyyyyyyy b4 it was trendy. My 1st bald love was Yul Brynner.
So, when the new captain in Star Trek: The Next Generation turned out to be none other than a bald
Patrick Stewart aka: Captain Jean-Luc Picard, I was in love again. One of the early TV Guide articles
about the Captain referred to him as "bodacious". I didn't know what that meant, so looked up the definition and ever since then, that is how I have thought of Sir Patrick.
So now I will think of him as bodacious poo◆◆◆:emoji_poop:

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
He cracks me up with the continual trying out of different personas--and I adore 'serious' actors who know how to make fun of themselves. It's one thing you have to hand to those Royal Shakespeare alumni--many of them can go from the heights of dramatic art to the lowest of low comedy without turning a hair (or a scalp in Stewart's case). God bless him, I hope he goes on for years.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
LeVar Burton Breaks Out Old 'Next Generation' Cast Selfie Featuring Sad William Shatner

william-shatner-levar-burton-106532.jpg

The 'Star Trek' actor may have just won National Selfie Day.

LeVar Burton has won National Selfie Day.

The unofficial holiday on Wednesday clogged social media feeds with users posting pictures of themselves and friends. Celebrities had to get in on the fun, too.

But it was the Geordi La Forge actor who took top honors when he broke out a photo from a few years back that featured the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, along with a sad looking William Shatner.

"Oh, it's #NationalSelfieDay That explains this all over my timeline...," Burton wrote with the picture.

Featuring Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn (cut off) and Brent Spiner, the selfie was taken at Wizard World’s Chicago Comic Con in 2014.

Capt. Kirk's face is priceless.

DC37uIAVYAUh0Qm.jpg

Doctor Omega

Fan-Favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode Gets An Awesome Fan-Made Music Video

Fm4HgYkSw9fppm47SvIr3rpv_500.png

Few phrases resonate with Star Trek: The Next Generation fans quite like "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." The Tamarian saying has held a special place in fan's hearts since the 1991 episode 'Darmok', which many regard to be one of the series' best outings. And now, that phrase has even been expressed through music video.

Swedish Youtuber The Lone Animator recently shared his take on 'Darmok and Jalad', a folk song composed by Tachyon Beam back in 2007. Using stop-motion animation, the video chronicles the famed fable of Darmok and Jalad, and how they ended up working together to vanquish an alien, despite their language barrier. You can check out the video below.

While the story of the two warriors is only relayed through dialogue in Star Trek: The Next Generation, this video brings it to life in quite a breathtaking way. From the video's vibrant colors to the intricately-designed alien creatures of Tanagra, it gives fans an idea at what Darmok and Jalad's encounter could have looked like.

It also provides the best quality version of Tachyon Beam's song, which many TNGfans have adored for over a decade. If you'd like to add this high-quality version of the song - which is sure to get stuck in your head - to your library, it is officially available on iTunes.

Gavin

VIP
I think that with her character they were trying to recreate that antagonistic/friendly relationship of Spock/McCoy with her and Data. The problem was that in her very first episode, the way she was written just came across as disrespectful of Data. And given how popular a character Data was by that point, it set fans against her. She mellowed as the season went on but by that point opinion was set.

It also reflected an ongoing issue with TNG in the first two seasons. It was trying too hard to recreate the original series rather than letting it develop into its own thing as it eventually did. I'm just glad it aired in the era it did because today it would have been lucky to last past the first season and definitely wouldn't have made it past the second season.

Doctor Omega

I love ST:TNG!

It's positive view of humanity, with a crew that actually gets on with one another, has been missed more and more by recent incarnations of Trek, sadly.

Gavin

VIP
I love ST:TNG!

It's positive view of humanity, with a crew that actually gets on with one another, has been missed more and more by recent incarnations of Trek, sadly.
This is what frustrates me about most of the current Star Trek. They keep saying that having everyone get along is too hard to write creatively for, which ignores the fact that it was quite succesfully done in both TOS and TNG which remain incredibly popular.

johnnybear

The Borg were a great baddie for the series but after their lack of use in the show (one episode a year) and Voyager's overuse I soon realised they were good but I like the original baddies of TOS better! The Klingons and The Romulans all the way! Still like The Borg though....

JB

Doctor Omega

This is the actor that Gene Rodenberry wanted to play Captain Picard, but other people eventually convinced him that Patrick Stewart was the better choice.....

Doctor Omega

You have prompted me to check my sources now JB! :emoji_alien:

Turns out you are right - he did apparently go after the role of Riker too.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Stephen_Macht

In 1987, Macht was considered for the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

http://whatculture.com/tv/star-trek-10-actors-nearly-cast-iconic-roles?page=8

Of course we all know that Patrick Stewart was cast as Captain Picard in the end, but that was not how Roddenberry planned it. We can be grateful that the creator of Star Trek didn't simply put his foot down, but instead listened to the advice of Bob Justman and Rick Berman €“ yes Star Trek fans, there is something you can praise Berman for! The problem was that Roddenberry wanted a proper French Captain. One he saw as masculine and virile. His first choice was Stephen Macht, and he wanted Stewart as Data instead. Stewart at the time had a predominant background in Shakespeare and has stated since that he would not have taken a job as a supporting character. But Roddenberry was convinced. Although he still had a thing about Stewart's hair. So they made him do an audition wearing a wig. Needless to say that the wig didn't catch on. The producers were impressed and although he was included in the list of front runners for the part along with Mitch Ryan, Roy Thinnes, Yaphet Kotto and Patrick Bauchau €“ Stewart eventually got the part, much to the relief of fans everywhere as I doubt that a French-accented arrogant Captain would have made season one any better, would it? As for Macht, this wasn't his first Star Trek rodeo. He had been considered for the role of William Decker in Star Trek: The Motion Picture and didn't get that either. He also sought the part of William Riker (then known as Ryker), and didn't get that. He was eventually cast as General Krim in two episodes of the second season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Another actor who was offered the part of Picard was Edward James Olmos. Yes that's right €“ Admiral Adama nearly captained the Enterprise. There's one alternative to Patrick Stewart I would have actually been happy with. Olmos only turned down the role because he was too busy with other work. So it almost happened. Say it out loud. Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. Whilst I can shrug my shoulders with Macht, I would like to see what Olmos would have done with the part. Quick! Call Water Bishop, I need that window device to watch TNG Blu-Rays in the other universe!

While searching, it turns out that a memo has also come to light from the time.... with no mention of Macht anywhere(!) but a few very interesting names. Yaphet Kotto as Picard? Wesley Snipes as Geordi?

https://trekmovie.com/2010/08/26/1987-paramount-memo-reveals-actors-auditioning-for-star-trek-tng-cast/

star_trek057-2ba.jpg

TO: JOHN PIKE
DATE: APRIL 13, 1987
SUBJECT: STAR TREK/Casting

Per your request, following is a list of actors who are being considered for their respective roles in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.

Picard
Patrick Stewart
Mitch Ryan
Roy Thinnes
Yaphet Kotto
Patrick Bauchau

Tasha
Lianne Langland
Julia Nickson
Rosalind Chao
Leah Ayers
Bunty Bailey

Data
Mark Lindsay Chapman
Eric Menyuk
Kevin Peter Hall (also for Geordi)
Kelvin Han Yee

Ryker
Michael O’Gorman
Gregg Marx
Jonathan Frakes
Ben Murphy

Geordi
LeVar Burton
Reggie Jackson
Tim Russ
Wesley Snipes
Victor Love
Chip McCallister
Clarence Gilyard Jr.
Kevin Peter Hall

Beverly
Anne Twomey
Jenny Augutter
Cheryl [Gates] McFadden

Troi
Denise Crosby

Wesley
J.D. Roth

The above actors will be brought in to read for Gene Roddenberry starting next week. However, Patrick Bauchau did come in to read for Gene today for the role of "Picard." His reading was well received; he and Patrick Stewart seem to be the favorites for the role of "Picard."

For the role of "Ryker," Michael O’Gorman seems to be a favorite. He’s sort of an atypical choice for the role, however, a good one.

Denise Crosby seems to be the only possibility for the role of "Troi" at this point; the same for J.D. Roth for the role of "Wesley."

There are several contenders for "Tasha," "Geordi," and "Data." However, Rosalind Chao seems to be a favorite for "Tasha"; Reggie Jackson for "Geordi"; and Mark Lindsay Chapman for "Data."

For the role of "Beverly," Cheryl McFadden is the favorite. However, her schedule may pose a problem. She’s currently performing in a play in San Diego.

General reading sessions are continuing; our next one is on April 14.

cc: Jeff Hayes

johnnybear

What an effort you made there, Doctor Omega! Good pieces of info and I didn't know that Stewart had been in line for Data or that he would not have taken a lesser role! Roy Thinnes and Yaphet Kotto? Can't see that to be honest but there you go!

JB

Doctor Omega

I see that Mark Chapman was up for Data.

He is of course the actor who was famously fired by Yoko Ono after he got cast as John Lennon in this tv movie biopic. Somewhat insensitive of the producers to have cast him in the first place, considering his name! He was replaced in that by Mark McGann, Paul's brother.... Peter Capaldi played a completely miserable George Harrison too.....

Mark Chapman finally got to play John Lennon in the controversial biopic about Lennon's killer: CHAPTER 27....

Gavin

VIP
Wesley Snipes as Geordi? Might have been interesting. Considering how his movie career hit its height a few years after TNG started it's hard to tell whether that role might have helped or hindered his career. Would he have been typecast? Or would his career have taken him away from the role?

Doctor Omega

I think that, unless they are an exceptionally solid actor like Patrick Stewart, or as adaptable as Shatner, most of the Trek casts are trapped forever in that series they made all those years ago. I can't see Snipes being an exception. At least they are able to make a living of sorts at conventions nowadays. It must have been really tough for Doohan, Nichols, Koenig and Takei in the early seventies when fandom was still in it's infancy and nobody wanted to cast them.