Fun The Paranormal

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The Captive Alien Known as SKINNY BOB?

Real or fake?

"Alien footage leaked of Roswell UFO crash survivor Michael Cohen [email protected] Old footage showing a "grey" type alien who might have been a survivor of the Roswell UFO crash that occurred over sixty years ago in New Mexico has been released onto the Internet. The black and white clip is allegedly part of a much larger collection of footage that was filmed by government agents working on top secret UFO and alien matters between the years 1942 and 1969. Only a fraction of the much longer 180 minute archive of footage has been released thus so far. The people or person who leaked the footage alleges to have done so anonymously as a precaution to ensure their safety. The alien seen in the video is clearly humanoid and is said to originate from the nearby Zeta Reticuli star system. As can be seen he is wearing the tight fitting space suit so commonly described by those who have experienced close encounters with aliens It is this publication's believe that this footage is genuine and this is yet another deliberate leak attesting to government knowledge on the UFO issue on the road to to an official announcement of knowledge of alien visitors to Earth."

Well, you never know!?!

Gullible Omega.

Salzmank

Member: Rank 2
James Randi exposes Uri Geller and Peter Popoff

"James Randi is a leader in the skeptical community who has been debunking paranormal and supernatural claims for most of his life. A magician himself James Randi is excellent at exposing the frauds that make up the paranormal and psychic communities. He offers a one million prize to anyone who can prove a paranormal claim scientifically and to this day nobody has won the money. Sylvia Browne has been ducking him for quite some time!"

Geller's career somehow survived this. I don't think he and Randi have ever really been buddies though!

And as for that Ministry guy!
As much as I appreciated Randi's debunking work, and I do (no one is more thankful to him for exposing Uri Gellar and Peter Popoff than I!), he seems to have a cult around him that worships everything he does, and I think that is quite dangerous, especially for Randi's already over-inflated ego. As someone who approaches investigations of the paranormal skeptically but with allowance that my skepticism may be wrong, I find Randi all-too-ready to "debunk, debunk, debunk!" without ever acknowledging that he can be wrong. Mr. Randi is not the God in which he does not believe, and thus he must come to terms with his own fallibility.

In other words, unlike Hamlet, he believes that he has all the answers, that there are not "more things in heaven and on earth...than are dreamt of" in his philosophy.

I find that attitude disquieting, small-minded, and unfortunate.

That feeling of skepticism-towards-the-skeptic was increased when I found out that what I had long suspected, that his million-dollar-challenge (which has now been terminated) was fatally flawed so that he could never lose, was confirmed. See this: http://www.dailygrail.com/features/the-myth-of-james-randis-million-dollar-challenge. That is not to say there are genuine supernatural/paranormal/"perinormal" powers, just that Randi's challenge is not the means to reveal them if they do exist. Moreover, Randi is not a scientist but a showman, and his challenge is unscientific, thus calling into question what any of it would ever prove.

So, while I do approach these claims skeptically, I don't think "she didn't apply for the Challenge, so she can't have 'supernatural' powers!" is any kind of a good rebuttal to wanting to examine all the evidence.

Doctor Omega

"Gloomy Sunday", also known as the "Hungarian Suicide Song", is a song composed by Hungarian pianist and composer Rezső Seress and published in 1933.

The original lyrics were titled Vége a világnak (The world is ending) and were about despair caused by war, ending in a quiet prayer about people's sins. Poet László Jávor wrote his own lyrics to the song, titled Szomorú vasárnap (Sad Sunday), in which the protagonist wants to commit suicide following his lover's death. The latter lyrics ended up becoming more popular while the former were essentially forgotten. The song was first recorded in Hungarian by Pál Kalmár in 1935.

"Gloomy Sunday" was first recorded in English by Hal Kemp in 1936, with lyrics by Sam M. Lewis, and was recorded the same year by Paul Robeson, with lyrics by Desmond Carter. It became well-known throughout much of the English-speaking world after the release of a version by Billie Holiday in 1941. Lewis's lyrics referred to suicide, and the record label described it as the "Hungarian Suicide Song". There is a recurring urban legend which claims that many people have committed suicide while listening to this song.

This is the original 1935 recording by Pal Kalmar.....

Carol

Member: Rank 5
the urban legend
You'll be fine - they played some of it one time on QI and everyone on the show seems to be in one piece, as am I.
Maybe have a very funny suicide song on standby as an antidote:
"Don't Jump off the Roof Dad" would probably do the trick nicely - if they could play that on Junior Choice, its credentials are impeccable.

Doctor Omega

A supernatural phenomenon?

Or a psychological one?

Any experiences or stories to share, in either the firm of first or second hand accounts?

And would you ever use one (again)?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Did this fabled city ever even exist?

Or is it a case of somebody's fiction from long ago getting warped into possible fact?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

5884e6d20b0c1_1485104850_0.jpg

I remember years ago, seeing this photo being analysed on an episode of Arthur C. Clarke's show, using the technology that they had then, about 1985.

The photograph stumped them and they concluded that it may, indeed, well be a ghost.

I am wondering if, in the intervening years, whether it has been debunked?

Or whether it remains an enigma?

And what is your opinion on the photo?

The episode of Arthur C. Clark's show is below.

The failure to debunk the photograph is about twenty minutes in....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I actually don't really want this one to have been explained as some idiot in a Halloween costume that got double exposed on the film somehow.

It's kinda cool staying as a spooky mystery.

But I am braced for disillusionment.

For all I know, this one was solved long ago....

But I hope it wasn't.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
I actually don't really want this one to have been explained as some idiot in a Halloween costume that got double exposed on the film somehow.

It's kinda cool staying as a spooky mystery.

But I am braced for disillusionment.

For all I know, this one was solved long ago....

But I hope it wasn't.
Best guess is that it is a fake--it looks just a little too 'perfect' somehow to be anything but--but I'm like you in that, if this hasn't been debunked as of yet I kind of hope it never is...