Review The McGann Doctor

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
He was absolutely robbed. I remember at the time being quite upset that McCoy was being replaced, because I had a connection with his Doctor (and, of course, with Ace). But McGann was brilliant right from the get go. I wish we could have seen much more of him in the role.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Paul McGann was pretty much the only thing worth watching in the Movie. And his unexpected appearance in Night of the Doctor was completely awesome. I'd happily watch a complete series with him in it.
Big YES to that. And more than one... though I'd never, ever regret the Eccleston we got, he was reputedly so unhappy it's fantastic he was able to give it so much. I'm late to learning there's so much McGann Doctor to catch up on elsewhere, but what I remember of his film was HIM - certainly not the plot, so as far as I'm concerned he was 100% The Doctor, at that time, in that place...

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It was a delight seeing McGann on screen in the role again! I only wish it had been more than a mini-episode. He brings a real presence to the role, and is at once charming, then pained when he's trying to convince the woman to come into the TARDIS with him. And his attitude about having only minutes to decide which path to take in order to continue his life is so brilliantly performed. I really need to get his audio plays, because he could have had one hell of a run as The Doctor.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I managed to catch this spoiler free so my excitement when the camera turned to Paul McGann saying "not the one you're expecting" was huge. Stephen Moffat showed how well he can write. A seven minute episode that was self contained and a true tribute to the 8th Doctor. It also demonstrated how well Paul McGann could have done with an ongoing series.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that we are lucky that the 1996 movie did not stray too far out of continuity that we could not include McGann as a legitimate Doctor. The half human thing is the only "ouch!" point that lingers, I guess.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I think that we are lucky that the 1996 movie did not stray too far out of continuity that we could not include McGann as a legitimate Doctor. The half human thing is the only "ouch!" point that lingers, I guess.
The half-Human thing was the best thing about that serial. And how is it straying out of continuity anymore than the second Doctor being able to play the flute, or the third Doctor suddenly knowing Venusian Aikido? It's such a logical answer to so many little curiosities that went before and it explains so much about the rest of the TV series.

Besides, what difference does it make? The Doctor is still exactly the same as he's always been. He still does the same things as he's always done. The only change is that we just happen to know one more thing about him.

In any case, when the BBC sold the rights to make DOCTOR WHO, they also sold the rights to add to and shape DOCTOR WHO's continuity.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The Other Eighth Doctor?

After Doctor Who left television screens in 1989, many possible routes were investigated for the show's return. In 1991, Doctor Who Magazine reported on claims that an independent production company had made pilots for a new series, starring an actor called David Burton as the eighth incarnation of the Doctor... With contributions from current and former DWM editors Tom Spilsbury and Gary Russell, and David Burton himself, this clip is taken from Dr Forever! Lost in the Dark Dimension, which can be seen in full on Doctor Who: Inferno Special Edition DVD release