johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Hmmmm! I wonder when that was taken? Pertwee looks like his 1972/73 self rather than 74 with his whiter fluffy hair but was Target that big in 73? I thought it took off during 75 and 76?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
download.jpg

I remember going to see Tom Baker at an NSS newsagent Target Book signing in Bury, Lancashire on a Saturday morning, the same day that THE INVISIBLE ENEMY episode 1 was broadcast. The shop was heaving with people downstairs.

He suddenly appeared at the top of the newsagents stairs in full costume, while the Ron Grainer theme played - doffing his hat, grinning widely - and was incredibly tall and imposing, then strode down the stairs.

For myself at 10 years old, it was absolutely electrifying.

I simply did not have the nerve to get a book for him to sign, but parked myself behind where he was sat, signing. He was giving a jelly baby away with each book signed and suddenly turned around to the staff and went "Could I have some more jelly babies please!" right in front of me in THAT voice, with those boggle eyes!

I was frozen in awe!

Then went home to see him taking on the Nucleus of the Swarm on the telly.

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor, but Tom was THE Doctor!

And yes, it is surprising to see Jon doing a Target book signing. They really were a fledgling company, I would have thought at that time. Couldn't have had all that many titles out by then?

johnnybear

WOW! Troughton was my first Doctor and probably the one that I always had a soft spot for but Pertwee and Tom were just as great! I didn't get to see any of the Doctors in the flesh until I went to the 1983 Longleat twentieth anniversary! There I saw Pertwee and Davison close up and Pat Troughton in his regular attire and not costume taking questions in the big tent! Also I saw and met Anthony Ainley who was out walking amongst the fans at one point and issuing out autographs here and there! A great day never forgotten!
JB

Last edited:

johnnybear

Later on of course I got to see Tom Baker at other signings and I even attended that play with Colin Baker playing the Doctor in 1989! My wife even passed a comment about actors that Colin actually overheard and gave me a displeased smile and I just shrugged and followed her out! Davison doesn't like to be filmed that much I know as back in 2000 my late Father took his new video camera to the NEC and started videoing the actors in attendance, Tom Baker and his table were not bothered in the slightest neither were Sue Holderness and john challis who were on the Only fools and horses table! In fact sue smiled at him and started waving but old Davison just looked him up and down like someone had just nicked his wallet!!! :emoji_kissing_smiling_eyes:
JB

Doctor Omega

51WzI6DYXNL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Product description
A fine collection of Pertwee monster stories: Night of the Sand Wolf by Tim Stout The Nondescript by Philip Welby Spawn by David Campton The Glendale Monster by Guy Weiner Ming by Catherine Gleason The Intruders by Glenn Chandler The Lambton Worm by Roger Malisson The Eyes Have It by John Halkin The Samala Plant by George Evans With introduction end epiloge by Jon Pertwee

Jon Pertwee had a book to flog in the late Seventies...

So he went on the telly to promote it....

Doctor Omega

There was something magical about the Daleks in the sixties and seventies!
JB

Those two Dalek movies were as much Doctor Who for me as the show at the time, as they were the only guaranteed repeats.

I didn't see Hartnell or Troughton moving until the FIVE FACES OF DOCTOR WHO season. Up till then those two Doctors - and their eras - had just been Target book covers or photographs in the Monster Book or Doctor Who Weekly.

Now, should we choose, we can watch everything - including the reconstructed lost stories.

Maybe there was something to be said for the mystery of not being able to watch something. I had to imagine what their eras were actually like.

johnnybear

Anthony Daniels is a guy who won the jackpot by being cast as C-3PO in Star Wars and boy he'll never let anyone forget it will he! That's great about John Challis enjoying being remembered for his one and only Who adventure! Some actors are really nice guys while some others aren't! I always imagined that Robert Davi would be a bit up himself but when I accompanied a friend who was eager to get his autograph he shook my hand as well as my friend's and asked us all about ourselves and he even told us a bit about his early days in New York! Nice guy it seemed but Peter Weller was exactly how I thought he'd be and very much his own biggest fan!
JB