Review The Pilot (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I was hoping that the season would start with a bang.

It hasn't....

Somewhat plodding talky scenes with a new smart alec companion full of glib quips once again.

Goes to great lengths to set up a mystery that it turns out wasn't worth getting intrigued about.

Containing throwaway - not worth making a fuss about - kisses to the past and exudes a sense of desperately trying to reboot the show and make it popular again, but doing it in a way that will continue to diminish its popularity.

I can't say it was disappointing though, as I had little optimism before it started.

Sheesh! :emoji_disappointed:

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I thought it was a nice way to establish Bill as a character. The monster was related to her loneliness and desires, and wasn't too freaky for a first-time companion to handle. It was nice too that we didn't get any silly dialogue when they were running from Daleks this time around. And I've thought before - TARDIS is an English acronym. Good for Bill pointing it out. Too bad she didn't get an answer.

I also liked the pictures of Susan and River Song. I wish we could see Susan again.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I honestly thought it was a nice set up for the new series. I rather like Bill as a companion. I liked their discussion at the beginning when she explains why she has been attending his lectures. And The Doctor telling the photos to shut up was pretty funny. I'm also liking Nardole. I think I'm going to enjoy this new batch.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
It was a fairly "meh" episode for me. I like Bill and I enjoy having Nardole around but there was nothing in the episode that got me excited. At several points I even found my mind wandering. Hopefully that won't last.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Okay, so I've just finished watch THE PILOT and I have to say that I've seen worse DOCTOR WHO serials in New Who... and Classic Who. However, I've also seen much, much better. At least for once they didn't try to cram too much into such a short period of time. I miss those old-fashioned six parters...

chainsaw_metal1

I miss those old-fashioned six parters...
I do, but at the same time, I don't. My issue with the six parters was how many times a chapter was about ten minutes of dialogue with the rest simply corridor running. But it was nice to see that they didn't cram too much into a single episode, leaving no time for character development or proper resolution.

Also, I loved that he had pictures of Susan and River on the desk. When they first showed Susan's picture at the beginning, it just made me smile.

chainsaw_metal1

It might not be so bad, but when you know they only constructed one 8-10 foot corridor for them to run down again and again, it does tend to get monotonous. :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
All I remember of this one now is the Doctor in a university like office and a sentient puddle with some watery bint (as the Pythons would say) pursuing the Doctor and Bill through time. Oh and a blink and you miss it Movellans moment.

That's if I even have the right episode. Some of this NEW WHO stuff mushes together as time goes on.

chainsaw_metal1

Oh and a blink and you miss it Movellans moment.
This is my second biggest complaint about NuWho (the first being Moffat and his inability to actually kill someone - I mean, fer Christ's sake, the guy would have brought Adric back after a couple of episodes). We get too many of these "Hey, we're going to bring back (character/villain/ally) from the classic series for all of you viewers who are mature enough to watch those episodes", only to have them pop up for a hot minute, or to be utilized in a way that is completely different from their original incarnations (Macra, anybody?). When I heard the Movellans would be back, I was genuinely thrilled. And while it was cool to see them in the episode, it was the television version of clickbait. If you're going to bring them back, bring them back. You have no problem with overusing the Daleks or Cybermen, so why not the Black and White Guardians? The Movellans? Alpha Centari? Turlough?

Wait, not that last one. Let it be stricken from the records.

chainsaw_metal1

Actually, while we're talking about resurrecting old characters (@Doctor Omega, this could be a thread, maybe?). There are a few folks I'd like to see more about (outside of the books, where the canon is always in question):
-Drax (no, not The Destroyer)
-K'anpo
-The War Chief
-The Mara
-The Time Meddler
-ACE!!!