Review The Plague Dogs (1982)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

FEFWF.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Two dogs escape from a laboratory and are hunted as possible carriers of the bubonic plague.

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I never read the book, but a review I read said the author gave the story an artificial happy ending on the insistence of the publisher. The movie was nice and grim. Very sad! It's a shame it's not on an American DVD.

The Seeker

From Wikipedia:

The Plague Dogs is a 1982 British-American animated adventure film based on the 1977 novel of the same name by Richard Adams. The film was written, directed and produced by Martin Rosen, who also directed Watership Down, the film adaptation of another novel by Adams. The Plague Dogs was produced by Nepenthe Productions; it was released by Embassy Pictures in the United States and by United Artists in the United Kingdom. The film was rated PG-13 by the MPAA for heavy animal crueltythemes, violent imagery, and emotionally distressing scenes. The Plague Dogs is the first non-family oriented MGM animated film.

The film's story is centered on two dogs named Rowf and Snitter, who escape from a research laboratory in Great Britain. In the process of telling the story, the film highlights the cruelty of performing vivisection and animal research for its own sake (though Rosen said that this was not an anti-vivisection film, but an adventure), an idea that had only recently come to public attention during the 1960s-70s.

The Seeker

I've never heard of this. I must seek it out.
Oh you won’t regret it. I think you have to pay $3 to see it on Youtube - I saw it for free, a long time ago, I don’t know if the video is still there.

The DVD has been out of print for years, but they’re putting it on Blu-Ray. Maybe I should just get a Blu-Ray player, but I did find the DVD on ebay. Unfortunately when it arrived, I saw it was a Korean DVD. It played on my machine but the video quality was not spectacular.