Review The Planet of the Apes TV Series (1974)

Discussion in 'Planet Of The Apes' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Thoughts and memories of this short lived, live action, television series from 1974?

#1 Doctor Omega, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Watched an episode of this this morning: Episode 2: The Gladiators.

A young Marc Singer, later of V and Beastmaster fame, turns up as one of the gladiators, with one of the astronauts having a punch up with someone.

It was a typical episode of this show actually. They make some friends at a new location, make some enemies and Urko the Gorilla turns up at some point to cause trouble.

It was a potentially great show with a great premise, but it is such a shame that it never aspired to be greater than it was, imo.

3. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I own it on DVD and for what it was, I enjoyed it.

I have also managed to work it into the continuity - and I use that word in its broadest possible meaning - of the film series. I believe the pilots took off after Taylor and Brent, but arrived first in the future.

That might help to explain part of the reason as to why Doctor Zaius did not quite seem to be as surprised by Taylor's abilities as perhaps he should have been. As a high ranking official within Ape society, he had been able to gain access to the various state records and official secrets on file about certain earlier incidents.

It was also nice to see Cornelius' ancestor in it.

Just a theory...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

A nice theory - and it works for me! :emoji_alien:

5. alpha128

alpha128 Member: Rank 3

But how do you explain that the apes were so shocked when Taylor spoke, while the humans of the TV series talked all the time?

• Like Like x 1
  6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps the knowledge was supressed by the authorities to avoid panic in the general population. In any case, talking Humans had only ever been encountered by a very small fraction of the population, so it would have been fairly easy to hush up any news about such events. There might or might not have been the odd rumour that was the focus of idle speculation in private, but it's not as if it was constantly debated on the front page of a newspaper in in the local market in Ape City.

Besides, you are forgetting basic bias and bigotry. Why would an average member of Ape society even consider for a moment that such a dirty and inferior animal like a Human could possibly be capable of speech? Also, it's not like they had the internet or whistle-blowers left, right and centre. It would take a very brave or suicidal individual to defy the orang-utan or gorilla authorities.

Just a few brief thoughts on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. johnnybear

johnnybear Member: Rank 4

I loved the TV series and still do but I think the later episodes were not as good and the two astronauts, Virdon and Burke took care of the brutish gorillas much too easily and yet had difficulty fighting off other humans!! The show was set in the future year of 3085 according to the flight computer while the films were set in the year 3978AD in Planet and changed to 3955AD for Beneath and Escape! Why? No idea to be honest!
    The best episodes of the series were the gladiators, The Legacy, The Trap and The interrogation I always thought! Funny that in real life James Naughton (Burke) and Virdon (Ron Harper) didn't hit it off yet Naughton made good friends with Roddy McDowell who played the chimpanzee, Galen!
    JB

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

hqdefault.jpg

"When the Planet of the Apes telefilms entered syndication, ABC's owned and operated stations, who picked them up for their afternoon movie programs (under titles such as The 4:30 Movie), called upon Roddy McDowall to re-create his role of Galen in a series of new openings and closings specifically for these stations, billed as "The New Planet of the Apes." The introductions originally created by 20th Century Fox to open each film were replaced by a now-aged Galen (McDowall) looking back on the events of the telefilms. The openings and closings revealed Virdon and Burke's final fates: "They found their computer in another city and disappeared into space as suddenly as they'd arrived." According to "TV Zone Special" (1995 issue) McDowall filmed these "wraparounds" in 1980. The ABC openings and closings of these telefilms were neither aired on other stations nor included on any home media release." -

The full playlist of the tv wraps can be found here....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoGVBWTBbSTm-A935utQi9cGb5d97nCH4

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Nice to see those tv wraps.

And I had no idea that the actors playing Burke and Virdon did not hit it off in real life.

• So sad! So sad! x 1
  10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

The television series in print.....

7661520._UY475_SS475_.jpg Escape_to_Tomorrow.jpg Journey_Into_Terror.jpg Lord_Of_The_Apes.jpg 2250202-pota_1975.jpg 2250206-pota_1976.jpg 2250207-pota_1977.jpg

11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

All four novelisations have recently been republished by Titan Books as an omnibus volume....

PotA3.jpg

12. johnnybear

The fourth book was never available here in the UK but with the internet I was able to get a copy a few years back to complete the set! Shame they never carried on as there were only fourteen episodes!
    JB

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Yes, I read today that that fourth book was very difficult to get hold of. Had never know that it existed.

14. johnnybear

Me neither until I read an article about it years ago! Bad thing is the character of Prefect Barlow is changed to that of another name because Barlow had already appeared in The Horse Race which was one of the earlier stories in the books!
    JB

• Informative Informative x 1